Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Georgetown Craft Beer Festival Sept 17/2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Georgetown Craft Beer Festival Sept 17/2016

Post by GtownRandy »

The 2nd Annual Georgetown Craft Beer Festival will be on Sept 17/16 in Georgetown, ON. Lots of craft breweries and cideries will be there. Food trucks serving food. Live music. Run by 4 local service groups with proceeds to charity. $22 in advance, $30 at door if not sold out already.

http://www.headforthehills.ca/

PeerlessMark

Post by PeerlessMark »

Who went last year? How was it?

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

i didnt go myself as i had to work. looking forward to this year's though, the lineup includes GLB, Nickel Brook, Collective Arts, Rainhard, Elora, Royal City, Four Fathers, Henderson, Junction, Cameron's, Beau's, Anderson, Smithavens, St. Ambroise, and several other breweries and cideries.

GLB posted a promo video today on youtube for the festival:

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

The Georgetown festival was a great success. They had a full capacity sell out of 5000 people, despite the slow steady rain all day. It was a great party atmosphere, more like a town social event that happened to have beer, food and music. Had a great time talking to customers from work that i knew, and complete strangers. The rain seemed to have an effect to creating camaraderie amongst the attendees, and a great time was had by all.

As for the beer, we got 4 tokens with our admission, good for 4 oz pours, or 2 tokens for 8 oz. Extra tokens were $1 each, so $4 for 16 oz of beer. Started at Rainhard as i've never tried them, they had Kapow! IPA and a couple others (sorry didnt notice which ones).
Nickel Brook had 6 taps including Maple Porter, Raspberry Uber, Equilibrium ESB, Immodest, Luxe (aka Beauty and the Bistro) and Uncommon Element, a Belgian Brett Ale.

Collective Arts and Great Lakes were slight disappointments as they only brought Ransack and Saint, and Canuck and Pompous Ass respectively. Asked if they had Karma Citra, the girl said keep your eyes and ears open. On a good note, my wife and i had 8 oz pours of fresh Ransack from the keg and they didnt ask for tokens. Great Lakes gave 8 oz pours for 1 token.

The surprising highlight of the day was Redline Double Clutch 8.1% imperial IPA. My wife and I had 3 8oz pours each as we felt it was the best beer at the festival.
The lowlights were Henderson Food Truck and Four Fathers Honey Badger (a saison with honey and peppermint), both were "grass pours" lol.

Due to poor planning we went on an empty stomach and drank 2 litres each of 5-8% abv beer, so we had a pretty good buzz going.

In the photo, my wife is under the green and white tie-dyed umbrella at the left edge, i'm in front of her with my son's mario and luigi umbrella wearing my troeg's shirt.