Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Witchstock

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Rumour has it is all their regular line up, but with lactose.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

BakaGaijin wrote:
gjkerr wrote:100 more tickets to each session going on sale tonight at 8pm ...
Where's the beer list?!?!??!?!?!???!?!?!?
Good question. Last Insta post told us to "stay tuned" ... I'm tuned in! Gotta be today ... need a plan of attack.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Lactose lager

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

DeMarco wrote:Lactose lager
Beer list comes out.....all lagers .......

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

BakaGaijin wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Lactose lager
Beer list comes out.....all lagers .......
My brain would explode.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Reliable Beer Critic

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I attended the first session and thought it was a great event. Even with the extra tickets released it never felt too crowded. The Trillium taps had the longest line, and it moved very quick. I managed to get though 16 samples and pretty much everything I had was very good. The mariachi band was a nice touch. And the mini-tulip glass will fill a niche in my collection. It was really cool to wander around the brewery surrounded by barrels and tanks.

Beer Highlights
Everything from Trillium, especially Trillwater, IPAs from J Wakefield and Other Half, BOYD 2014, De La Senne Wadesda, Four Winds Furtunello. I could just list every beer I tried, really.

Other Observations
Couldn't help but notice almost no one getting samples at Godspeed. Their offerings definitely looked like "plain vanilla" at this event. Also, TDD had its beer abducted by the LCBO, so they were not pouring what they intended to bring. Which is too bad because I really wanted to try St. Maurice, which the brewer told me is one of the best beers he's ever made.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

evil twin also got screwed by the lcbo, they had to bail entirely

awesome event though

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was just there. Still a mini-fest going on, with $5 token pours of an outstanding Trillium Coffee Stout, Dunham Mahalo Milkshake and one other I didn't catch. Plus lots of Fruit Helmet, Ligo, Jelly King, Monogamy, Witchshark, Runes, etc in the fridge. Limited supplies of Milkshark left.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

beerstodiscover wrote: Couldn't help but notice almost no one getting samples at Godspeed. Their offerings definitely looked like "plain vanilla" at this event.
I'd argue it's more a case of it being local. Why get something that's going to be available all week at the brewpub when there is stuff rarely available in this country let alone Toronto?

Had a great time. Originally thought 3 hours was a bit short but it turned out to be just about right for me. I was also worried it might be packed with the announcement of more tickets but it wasn't too crowded. The brewery layout wasn't well suited to handle big lines at the very beginning but once people spread out a bit it was pretty nice. Other than Trillium I didn't wait more than a few minutes for a beer, and I managed to go through most of the Other Half tap list while everyone else was lined up at Trillium! Didn't have to wait for the toilets until near the end which is always nice. Had some excellent beers overall.

If they don't come out with a beer for next year called Please Leave Our Barrels Alone, I will be disappointed. :)

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I was at the first session. I agree with others that the additional tickets didn't negatively impact the event. It was awesome to be able to spend time around all the brewing equipment.

I was speaking with one of the brewers at Burdock and he was saying that a lot of the local places weren't as busy as the non-Ontario brewers. That was my perception and thinking too: I can buy pretty much everything the Ontario brewers had on a weekly basis. Places like Other Half, Da Le Senne, Trillium etc are nearly impossible to get for me as I rarely travel. I was very curious about Godspeed but the sheet amount of amazing beers I can't otherwise get was too much to pass on.

BOYD 2014 was incredible. I loved J Wakefield's collar with BW. Wadesda from De La Senne was a true standout for me.

In my estimate, this was the best beer related event I've ever attended. I hope it becomes a yearly thing.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I was also at the first session and will echo all the other praise for Witchstock. I had a blast drinking beers I thought I'd never get to try.

One thing worth noting is how often these type of events in Toronto turn into a total shitshow. Witchstock was very well organized, especially for a first time event.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

And so well-named. Hope there is a next one.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

JerCraigs wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote: Couldn't help but notice almost no one getting samples at Godspeed. Their offerings definitely looked like "plain vanilla" at this event.
I'd argue it's more a case of it being local. Why get something that's going to be available all week at the brewpub when there is stuff rarely available in this country let alone Toronto?
Definitely this. In the limited time I had there, I didn't even consider Godspeed, Indie or Left Field as options...as I could walk over and try their stuff any day.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Had to work all evening Saturday but there were a few leftover kegs on at Hafis. Trillium PM Dawn was a standout, wasn't crazy about the J. Wakefield Hefe, but it's not like I'll have regular access to these ever.

Will gladly make a point to get out of work and go next year!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo