Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hard to say if it was legendary. On tap when I was there was also Gueuze, Saint Lamvinus & Vigneronne IIRC. There were also a number of bottles that people were clamouring for (I remember Lou Pepe, as that ran out while I was standing at the bar).

Personally I don't think Zwanze needs to be coupled with a crazy list that amplifies the excitement to unreasonable levels. I kind of like that the event has matured a bit where it's a special night, but not one that is so nutty that there are lineups (and in turn disappointments). If there was a line last night I would have just walked on right by. Since it was calm I went, which is something I enjoyed and made it unlike previous years - in a positive way.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

We got there early and lined up pre-opening, which we apparently didn't need to do. We had a great time, had a very chill afternoon and enjoyed a bunch of beers, a tuna sandwich and some fried chicken! I feel like the no ticket thing may have back fired - people just assumed it would be crazy and stayed away maybe? They kind of can't win - The previous Cantillon even sold out super fast and people grumbled about the price or not getting a ticket. No tickets for this and people complained about it! :)

I enjoyed the Zwanze beer but enjoyed the Cantillon Geuze more. The change to try sample pours of some of the Oxbow and Cascade stuff was also nice rather than commit to a bottle. the Oxbow 3 Barrels Deep was excellent. Some nice Ontario offerings as well.

Anyways, my two cents. Had a lovely day of it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Bottles have always been available by the pour at this event.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

So... I can maybe rearrange some planned travel to Europe in late September to be in Brussels for Zwanze 2018. Anybody have any insight/experience on whether it's worth the effort? It would mean extending my trip by about 4-5 days, which isn't negligible from a budget/vacation time perspective. I certainly love the idea of being there for Zwanze day, but is the area and associated events a shit show?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just circling back to this, Zwanze at Moeder Fontainas was aweseome!! Busy but service handled it fine. Burlesque performers, insane Cantillon tap list, great night!! And the 3 days of drinking at Cantillon and 3F leading up to it were incredible.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

2024's now biennial Edition will be held on Saturday April 20th at Birreria Volo on College.

This edition's Zwanze is sea lettuce.

2022's menu saw 5 oz(?not certain) pours priced at $14.

From Cantillon's Facebook,

A little over a year ago, we were in Brittany to submerge a few dozen bottles of Gueuze in the sea as a collaboration with Sylvain, an abalone farmer in Finistère. These bottles are still fermenting at a depth of 10 meters in the company of his charming creatures.

Once a month, Sylvain brings up the cages to add various types of algae for the mollusks to feed on. We tasted these same algae in tartare during our visit, and the idea came to us to try them in maceration with Lambic to create a partnership between the brewery and Sylvain's company. After several attempts, it turned out that seaweed, specifically the sea lettuce, gave the best result.

The beer is, of course, very different from the fruity, vinous, or floral tastes traditionally found in our products. This Zwanze 2024 exudes aromas of exotic fruits; it has notes of iodine with a slight salinity reminiscent of oysters. In short, a very different beer from what we are used to discovering at Cantillon - a true Zwanze!

My addition: There is a joke in here, but it was disguised enough to remain classy, but still very much planned (in my estimation)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sounds interesting!
I rarely drink lambics anymore, because of the insane pricing.
Regular beers are getting pricey as it is.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

This is why I really wish Boon's geuzes would come back to Ontario. 3 Fonteinen's version is better, but sometimes you would rather save some money and get a pretty good one.

In a nearby, slightly higher priced jurisdiction, 3 Fonteinen's geuze is 75% more than Boon's. Using some rough math, a geuze Boon in Ontario would be around six to seven dollars. I like Loons as much as the next guy, but this would be the beer I would want in the LCBO more than any other.