Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days 2017

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So, what do you guys think are the ones to hit off this list?

bradb

Post by bradb »

Well, if I see Peche on tap, I always get it. If I see Peche on cask ......

I haven't tried anything from Singlecut yet, so that'll be a stop for me too.

Barncat Durian Milkshake. It just has to be done.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My hit list:
  • 9 NYC Greenpoint How Austere Dark Sour 4.70% NA *
    20 NYC Other Half Triple Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Dream NA NA *
    21 NYC Other Half x Alefarm Candy Ass Zamboni DIPA with watermelon sour gummies NA NA *
    22 NYC Other Half x Bellwoods Highballers on Death Mountain DIPA with lime, hibiscus, and double guava NA NA *
    43 New York State Thin Man Brett The Technique 2: Double Dry Hopped Brett Saison Brett Saison 7.80% 20 *
    44 New York State Thin Man Captain Perk Imperial Coffee Stout 13% 65 *
    46 Maine Allagash Brewing Co Interlude with Plums Fruited Brett Saison 11% 28 *
    47 Maine Allagash Brewing Co James and Julie Flemish Style Brown 8% 25 *
    51 Maine Oxbow Citrus FPA Saison with citrus fruit 6% NA *
    52 Maine Oxbow Dry-Hopped Farmhouse Pale Ale Saison 6% NA *
    53 Maine Oxbow Dry-Hopped Farmhouse Pale Ale #2 Saison 6% NA *
    54 Maine Oxbow EK Cowboy Biere du Pays 4% NA *
    57 Maine Oxbow Moon Rocks Mixed-fermentation Grisette 4.50% NA *
    58 Maine Oxbow Space Cowboy Biere du Pays 4% NA *
    62 Oregon Cascade Brewing Tidal Bore Imperial Stout 10.70% 43 *
    63 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Bourbonic Plague Barrel Aged Sour Beer 12.10% NA *
    64 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Figaro Barrel Aged Sour Beer 8.40% NA *
    65 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Rose City Sour Barrel Aged Sour Beer 7.00% NA *
    66 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Sang Noir Barrel Aged Sour Beer 10.00% NA *
    67 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Vitis Noble Barrel Aged Sour Beer 9.10% NA *
    68 Oregon Cascade Brewing (Barrel Aged) Vlad the Imp Aler Barrel Aged Sour Beer 10.90% NA *
    70 Oregon Culmination Brewing (Barrel Aged) 2017 Peche Sour Blonde Ale 7% 5 *
    75 Oregon Gigantic Brewing Most Premium Russian Imperial Stout 10% 55 *
    77 Oregon Hair Of The Dog Fred American Strong Ale 10% 70 *
    78 Oregon Hair Of The Dog (Barrel Aged) Bourbon Fred from the Wood Barrel Aged American Strong Ale 12% 45 *
    79 Oregon Hair Of The Dog Adam Old Ale 10% 55 *
    183 Quebec LTM - Les Trois Mousquetaires Microbrasseurs Hopfenweisse Kaffir and lemon hopfenweisse 6% 45 *
    184 Quebec LTM - Les Trois Mousquetaires Microbrasseurs Porter Baltique Brazilian coffee edition Porter baltique barrels aged 10.50% 35 *
    185 Quebec LTM - Les Trois Mousquetaires Microbrasseurs Saison Brett with tart cherry Saison with brett 7% 32 *
That was just a quick pass, which I don't actually expect to get through. I normally spend lots of time at the event looking and deciding what's next. I'm obviously tilted towards the US stuff.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

With the Maine and Oregon casks right next to each other, I plan on growing roots in that vicinity.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I'm curious, are there any concerns regarding the serving temperature of the casks, given the weather this weekend? Wonder if/how the large UK festivals handle the temperature of their casks.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I was also wondering about that. It's going down to 6 degrees tonight. So hopefully if they keep them out of direct sunlight, the casks should stay cool throughout the day sessions.

_sloth

Post by _sloth »

My friends flaked out at the last minute. Yay. I'm coming from out of town and because tickets and even my hotel are not refundable I'm still going to make the trip.

Any opinions on doing this fest solo?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

_sloth wrote:My friends flaked out at the last minute. I'm coming from out of town and even my hotel is not refundable.

Any opinions on doing this fest solo?
I've done that a couple of times. Allowed me to plow through what I wanted very quickly. But I'm anti-social sometimes and like doing that sort of thing. :wink:

If you want to be social, there's the Toronto Beer Lovers Meetup group that has a meetup planned for the Friday afternoon session. You could join that. https://www.meetup.com/beer-171/events/242119899/ Otherwise try to meet people there the old fashioned way.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Which session are you going to? You can probably find someone from around here who will hang and beer geek out with you.

_sloth

Post by _sloth »

Appreciate the replies.

I have tickets for Session 2 and 3.

Maybe not so bad solo if it's as busy as everyone says as I'll probably be standing in line most of the time anyways.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The lines normally aren't that bad. It can get crowded, but they have so many servers you hardly ever wait more than a minute or two.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Hey Everyone, I know it's late times, but it's looking like I might not be able to Session 3 tomorrow afternoon. I have one ticket + Ralph's tour + admission to the Sunday beer garden + the festival beer.

Not looking to make money, just selling at cost...which is about 175 all in...PM me if interested...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I was just there, and all I can really say is the import breweries I was excited to try were worth it. Great day of drinking.

Oh, and I finally tried the durian beer. It's actually very good!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Another great event. I was at session 1 for this first time and I don't think I'd do it any other way for future events. Only once did I order a pour from a cask that was finished. Standout Cask: Cascade Bourbonic Plague.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Was at session two last night. Got to try most of the stuff I wanted, but many of the high end casks were dry by the end night. Sours were in particular demand.