Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Double Tempest Day - Nov 18

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Amsterdam Double Tempest Day - Nov 18

Post by Cass »

We'd like to invite you to join us for Double Tempest Day 2017. Now in it's 5th year, our award winning Barrel Aged Imperial Stout has returned and is being bottled as we speak at our Leaside Brewery. Most recently our 2017 Batch won Gold at the Ontario Brewing Awards and Bronze at the 2016 World Beer Awards. This isn’t your average beer!

Facebook Page Link: http://bit.ly/xxtempest2017

This edition of Double Tempest was aged for 8 months in Heaven Hill's Bourbon Barrels and features rich flavours full of dense chocolate, deep malt accents and a sweet bourbon oak finish. We encourage sharing this beer with friends or comparing it with past editions that you have stored away. (Age up to 3 years).

Here's all the fun details:

On sale at our Retail Stores at 45 Esandar Drive and 245 Queens Quay

- This year both of our shops will be opening at 12 noon. There will be a 3 bottle limit per customer on Double Tempest, as our yield is a bit smaller this year, making it extra special!

- There will be a coffee station available as people wait, we want to keep you warm while you’re hanging out in line!

- Other special releases coming out this day will be announced on our social media @amsterdambeer

BrewHouse Happenings (87 Laird Drive)

- We'll be offering special flights (1 flight for $7 of 4 samples), including Leaside exclusives, Double Tempest 2017 and other special beer surprises.

Barrel House Happenings (247 Queens Quay)

- Musical entertainment by Mista Jiggz and Mama Said Revolution (MSR)

- Gourmet food stations and speciality beers on sample including Double Tempest 2017

- Tokens are $3 each and are to be purchased at the door. Food will be 2 tokens, smaller pours will be 1 token and larger pours will be 2 tokens. Some beers will be limited to smaller pours.

- And yes, we will have a bottle check for those early purchasers who want to come enjoy the party.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this years is the best double Tempest. It’s damn near perfect.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

HeliKOOPter

Post by HeliKOOPter »

Beer is good, event was a joke.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

JeffPorter wrote:I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this years is the best double Tempest. It’s damn near perfect.
It better be. They raised the price $2/bottle.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

jp_jkl wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this years is the best double Tempest. It’s damn near perfect.
It better be. They raised the price $2/bottle.

I was surprised last year when they didn’t raise the price.

Though I’m gonna go out on another limb and say that the GLB 30th anniversary BARIS is even better and a buck cheaper
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

the 2015 xx tempest on tap at the barrel house was world class.
this year's tempest can use 1-3 years before it's in that league. but it's still excellent fresh. i may shit on the direction Amsterdam's gone in the past few years (i.e pilsnermania) but xx tempest is such an underrated beer. one of the province's best.
HeliKOOPter wrote:Beer is good, event was a joke.
i bought my bottles at 3:30 and then went to the barrel house (whatever it's called) to try what i bought. ended up ordering a flight. had the:
-raspberry beer (tasted like frozen rapsberries. did not finish)
-black IPA (if you called it a porter, i'd say it's a top porter. for a black IPA, it was missing the hoppiness i'd expect)
-2015 xx tempest
-2017 xx tempest
the bartender gave me a free pour of El Jaguar.

the bill came to $10. shit, man, i call that a good event. :)

i had to walk around Longos for a bit to let the buzz subside.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

double tempest just doesn't seem as special since there's no longer something that it's a 'double' of :cry:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

distr0 wrote:double tempest just doesn't seem as special since there's no longer something that it's a 'double' of :cry:
I was just thinking it's a shame Tempest hasn't shown up in a couple years now. Pulled a bottle from 2014 the other night and it was excellent, aged really well over the past 3 or so years. Sadly I think it's the last one I had left, so here's hoping it makes a return.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

atomeyes wrote: the 2015 xx tempest on tap at the barrel house was world class.
this year's tempest can use 1-3 years before it's in that league. but it's still excellent fresh. i may shit on the direction Amsterdam's gone in the past few years (i.e pilsnermania) but xx tempest is such an underrated beer. one of the province's best.
Discovered I have a couple bottles of 2015 XX Tempest, so cracked one. You are right. It is superb. The equal, I would say, of the recently released BCBS (I realize I am comparing 2017 to 2015 here).

Can't wait to try the GLB BARIS if it is as good or better, though again I may age it for a while first.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:
atomeyes wrote: the 2015 xx tempest on tap at the barrel house was world class.
Discovered I have a couple bottles of 2015 XX Tempest, so cracked one. You are right. It is superb. The equal, I would say, of the recently released BCBS (I realize I am comparing 2017 to 2015 here).

Can't wait to try the GLB BARIS if it is as good or better, though again I may age it for a while first.
not saying that it's not the best comparison, but i find that BCBS needs a few years in the bottle to really shine. it becomes chocolately and fudgy, whereas the XX Tempest was brown sugar and toffee and fudgy.
all delicious desserts, mind you....

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Has anyone seen the limits and the numbers available this year? I don’t want to go, but if there is a possibility that some lasts into the late afternoon or Sunday I may go. Their social media posts have been less than informative, at least what I have seen

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Just asked them on Instagram, looks like 3 per person and “super limited quantities”, which is about the same as last year.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

walz22 wrote:Just asked them on Instagram, looks like 3 per person and “super limited quantities”, which is about the same as last year.
Thanks.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

FYI at least at Eskander, and at least at 5:30, they still have some. They said about 20 cases left with the limits lifted.