Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fall at beerbistro

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Beaumont

Fall at beerbistro

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Hi bartowellers. Here's an update on some approaching events at beerbistro, in case some of you want to mark your calendars now.
- First a reminder that for the rest of October, you can fill out a ballot in-house for a chance to win our Oktoberfest prize pack, and that we still have Oktoberfest beers from Hacker and Mill Street on tap;
- On the 29th and 30th of October, buy a 750ml bottle of Maudite and you get a Maudite glass for free;
- Our first ever Winter Beer Festival and Birthday Bash will be held on Saturday, November 13, beginning at 4:00. The general format will be much the same as our summer fest, but this one will feature a special sampling area stocked with vintage ales. Details on exactly which ones will be posted closer to the event date;
- We're hosting another tutored tasting on November 22 at 7:00, with tickets strickly limited to 20. The theme is Belgium and the cost of $40 includes beer samples, food, tax and tip, and of course a couple of hours of beer blather by yours truly.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Stephen, I don't suppose you (or anyone else) knows if Maudite is returning on draught this year? I remember it came out around Halloween last year.

BTW, thanks for the update!

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

maudite will be back on tap. I'm not sure of the date, though

kp

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

We should have new draught Maudite in time for the Winter Beer Festival on November 13, which we will pour alongside an aged version from last year.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Be good to know what will be available, i.e. the vintage list
the details make for good planning

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I plan to attend, and I hope to have the Founding Meeting for the Ontario RateBeer Local afterward. Any and all are welcome. All you have to do is sign up on RateBeer (if you haven't already done so) and join the Ontario Local.

Joe

P.S. Sammy perhaps we could conclude our trade on Saturday.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

yes let's finish our trade about 730pm, discreetly, before the many RAs pull the bottles out and consume the elixir before our eyes

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I just called to reserve a ticket and was told it was not necessary. Seem to be getting mixed messages here. Stephen, I'm in , right?

Cheers, Joe.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Sorry for the tardiness, but I'm just back from the road. You can buy advance tix at the restaurant, but it's not necessary. Tickets for the same amount ($15) will be availableat the door.

As for beers, we'll have vintage Maudite and Black Oak Winter, as advertised, plus limited tastes of vintage Crusty, some othe rRogues, Dogfish 90 Minute and a couple of other interesting things.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll be at the BB today at 4 for the vintage tasting. Looking forward to seeing anyone from the site.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Good to see a number of barowellers at this event and even nicer to see a lineup at the door at 4PM to get in. My wife and I certainly enjoyed ourselves...nice bowl of Maudite Stew and then beerbistro's fabulous lamb sausage pizza with gouda , caramelized onions and sweet red peppers...truly one of the best pizzas I have ever had. We then popped over to Smokeless Joe's for some great Blanche de Chambly mussels and Oysters Rockefeller to top the evening off. Joe is featuring several of the Rogue's and Dogfish Head beers but they're going quickly. I understand that he's got a stash of privately ordered Koningshoeven beers which he has been holding back waiting for a dry spell such as we have now with many of our regular beers out of stock...drop in for a visit.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Looks like I missed you, Peter, but it was great to visit Beerbistro (try the bacon) and meet a few of you this past weekend. The world needs more restaurants like yours Stephen! Wish I could have stayed longer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobby, That's funny - you were sitting about five feet from Esprit most of the night! :P Had I known you wanted to meet him I would have pointed him out.

The stew was excellent - was this the same as what's regularly on the menu?

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

JerCraigs wrote:Bobby, That's funny - you were sitting about five feet from Esprit most of the night! :P Had I known you wanted to meet him I would have pointed him out.

The stew was excellent - was this the same as what's regularly on the menu?
yes and no. the stew isn't on the menu right now, but it used to be and it will be in the future. it is the same recipe, though.

kp