Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak - Nutcracker Cask Party?

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Wish I could have made it too, but I was on my way to pick up my initial shipment of Sgt. Majors bottles ( yes, its in the bottle, labelled, cased and ready to go!) when the cube van I rented decided to go cross country and land in the ditch.
Is it just me or is this bottle thing jinxed :-?
The bottles should be picked up on Monday, and delivery to the stores will begin very shortly after that. Product number is 610733.

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Thanks to Ken, and of course Patrick and the staff at th Bow and Arrow. It was a small group of very satisfied drinkers. The Nutcracker Cask was a Treat!

Thanks again, Cheers, Doug

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

Thanks to Ken, and of course Patrick and the staff at th Bow and Arrow. It was a small group of very satisfied drinkers. The Nutcracker Cask was a Treat!
I'm glad to hear it. I'd have liked to try it myself, but when I popped into the Bow this afternoon, I found the answer to my own previous question - no Nutcracker available (and no Corporal Punishment either).

This is becoming a trend.

Oh, and the Manulife LCBO had Orval and Rodenbach Grand Cru today (but all I want is a decent pint).

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I delivered 2 fresh firkins of the Corporal today. They should be tapped this evening. Come back and be punished!
I spoke to Patrick at the Bow and he is really excited about serving new cask beers. He was especially pleased with the Nutcraker (of course!)

scott

Post by scott »

I was at the Bow for a couple of pints of the wonderful Nutcracker straight from the cask. It was terrific and more resinous, but also richer, than the bottled version, IMHO. Very very good - thanks to Ken for putting this on.

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Again
My thanks for those who came out on Wednesday. Sorry about the confusion , I just finished the Gourmet food & wine show and had a pretty serious cold that nocked me for a loop. We'll try to do a better and smoother event for the next one.
The cask was very tasty and i enjoyed pouring it for the attendees. The Christmas smiles made everyone look like their own nutcracker. I'm really glad everyone enjoyed it.
I dropped off two more casks at the Bow for regular service. They should be tapped by now.
The last cask will go into the Blue Meaney sometime early next week.

I'd like to thank Adrian, my brewer who made the stuff and Paul who did the actual casking.
Big Christmas cheers to everyone.
Have a safe & happy holiday season.
Ken
Asst. Grain Shoveller

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

I delivered 2 fresh firkins of the Corporal today. They should be tapped this evening. Come back and be punished!
I was there this afternoon, and the Punishment was excellent. For beer of this quality they could charge top whack.

Thank you sir. May I have another?