Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Patricks Day

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

St. Patricks Day

Post by northyorksammy »

What's on tap around town for St. Patty, and the days preceding it.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

A whole lot of Guinness and not much else...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, Guinness owns that day. I think they spend 99% of their marketing/events budgets (or something crazy like that) just for St Patty's.

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

I don't see a whole lot wrong with that. After all, aren't they the ones who are responsible for making you and the rest of the world associate St. Patrick's day primarily with the drinking of beer?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

when they have the foreign export stout on draft, let me know

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Then there are those places that WON'T have Guinness on tap, like beerbistro. As we will for the entire month, we''ll be pouring five stouts and porters on St. Patrick's day, besides offering oysters on the half-shell for $2 apiece, Irish dancing by the Gilchrist School of Irish Dance at 6:00, an all-day full Irish breakfast and the best stout and porter based beer cocktails in town.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Five stouts? which ones?

Anyone confirm the rumour that Pepperwood will be debuting a new stout fro St. Patricks day? I keep meaning to call but only remember during non-phoneable moments.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Right now it's Murphy's, St. Ambroise Oatmeal, Fuller's London Porter, Chuch Key Decadent Chocolate and Starfish Oyster Stout. (If you've never tried the last, you absolutely should!)

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Starfish Oyster Stout
Did you mean Dogfish, as in Dogfish Head? Nice line-up regardless!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:
Steve Beaumont wrote:Starfish Oyster Stout
Did you mean Dogfish, as in Dogfish Head?
The seafood restaurant Starfish contracts Durham to brew an oyster stout for them (presumably an altered version of Black Katt). I would guess that this is what Steve is referring to.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Right you are, Greg. It's Black Katt with oyster liquor (the briney juice from inside an oyster) added, and it is absolutely delicious.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

No green food dye in the lagers this year?? :D

If all things go as planned I will be sipping a beautiful deep orange Bière de Mars at the Brasserie Artisanal in Montreal March 17. 8)
Aventinus rules!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Intrigued by the oyster stout; I'll be at beerbistro soon to try it (like, tomorrow).

It seems oyster shells were added to beer originally to clarify it and ... okay I'll stop here. :)

Gary

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »