Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

C'est What? Spring Festival of Small Breweries - Fri, Apr 15

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Again
Just to Clarify our pit issue.
It was a moment of serindipity when Adrian & Donna were hiking the Bruce Trail in the Niagara region.
We were looking for a source of cherry flavour (ie concentrate, syrup, etc)
and were disappointed with all the samples we had recieved, too mediciny or too tart.
They stumbled upon a fruit farm that had a cherry juice concentrate made from PITTED whole Ontario cherries. They tasted it, and it was good.
The rest is a very pleasant stout.
I'm really surprised that we acutally got some kegged off, what with all the sampling and analysis.
Ken

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I won’t be able to attend tonight, but will you have this seasonal at the Winking Judge fest?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:Hi Everyone
We're going to be releasing our new Seasonal Beer:
Double Chocolat Cherry Stout (guess whats in it?)
:o Can't wait to try this one, Ken!

Sheryl & I will be there around 5 PM. Looking forward to seeing everyone and trying a few new goodies.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:... We're going to be releasing our new Seasonal Beer: Double Chocolat Cherry Stout ...
Ken, will this beer be bottled and available for sale to the general public from your brewery?
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Ken: the Double Chocolate Cherry Stout was terrific, IMO. Someone described it as "black forest cake in a bottle", and this seemed pretty close to me. I'd also like to know if, as a seasonal, will it be available in bottles at the brewery. Here's hoping.

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Again
Thanks for the kind words about our stout.
It is now available at the brewery in bottled form only. Limited quantities were made.
We do have a bunch of kegs and are working on getting it out there as guest taps at the really good beer locals.
It was fun working the crowd and saying Hi to everyone. I think Adrian had a great time too.
A big huge thanks to George and all the good folk at C'est What. They hosted a wonderful event. Lots of fun and lots of new faces trying and learning something about great local craft beer.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at other events or when i'm doing deliveries.
Cheers
Ken

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Good event last night - lots of beers to try out. Thanks Ken for bringing the stout - it was good stuff. Nice to see everyone again.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I also thought the Captain Cascade was tremendous. Did others enjoy it? What do you think the chances are that the cask might not be completely drained?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

midlife crisis wrote:I also thought the Captain Cascade was tremendous. Did others enjoy it?
Yes, it was fantastic. Dangerous, though, as it hides its 6.5% very, very well. I had a pint after a dozen or so samples of other beers, and it went down so smoothly that I had quite a healthy buzz going by the end of the glass.

I liked the Cherry Chocolate Stout as well, although I felt the body was a little light. But as far as the flavour goes, I enjoyed it.

Cask

Post by Cask »

midlife crisis wrote: 'I also thought the Captain Cascade was tremendous. Did others enjoy it? What do you think the chances are that the cask might not be completely drained?'

Rather slim, I'd say, as the bartender struggled to pour the last pint into my glass. I'm happy to report that even the dregs were very tasty. Here's hoping the Captain is more than a one-cask wonder.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, I popped in this afternoon, hoping against hope, but it was long gone. I too would love to see it again sometime soon. Great stuff.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:Thanks for the kind words about our stout.
It is now available at the brewery in bottled form only. Limited quantities were made.
Anybody (Ken, Jeremy?) know when the brewery is usually open until on weekday evenings? I'm going to try to stop by this week and pick some of this up...

-Josh

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Big time :cry: . We showed up and the festival side was packed so we went to the other side to get a table (we had to get something to eat) with the intention of hopping over for samples and was dismayed to find no tables available. :cry: So we left for the Bier Market. At least they had Denison's Weissbier on tap.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote: We showed up and the festival side was packed so we went to the other side to get a table (we had to get something to eat) with the intention of hopping over for samples and was dismayed to find no tables available.
What do you mean by "festival side"? Samples were being served at both bars on Friday.

Anyway, you've learned rule number one of the C'est What beer fests: If you want to get a table, you'd better show up early! :wink: We got there at 5 on the dot, and by 5:30, every table in the place was taken. By the time we left (around 8 PM), there was a line-up waiting to get it. It wasn't quite as long as the ones at the Fall festivals, but I suspect that's because this was the first year for the Spring fest, and it wasn't announced very far in advance. I imagine it'll be even busier next year.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:What do you mean by "festival side"? Samples were being served at both bars on Friday.
Well I saw that on the right side there was someone with a role of tickets and didn't see the same on the other side so that was an assumption on my part. We didn't stick around to eyeball some more.
Anyway, you've learned rule number one of the C'est What beer fests: If you want to get a table, you'd better show up early! :wink: We got there at 5 on the dot, and by 5:30, every table in the place was taken. By the time we left (around 8 PM), there was a line-up waiting to get it. It wasn't quite as long as the ones at the Fall festivals, but I suspect that's because this was the first year for the Spring fest, and it wasn't announced very far in advance. I imagine it'll be even busier next year.
Yeah, there's the problem. I can get there early. For the others it's more difficult. Ah well, I guess they'll have to think about skipping out of work early if they want to go next time.
lister