Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

October 22nd and 23rd at Volo: Mark Your Calendars

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Do we know if the same beers will be served on Saturday and Sunday? Since, I'm coming from out of town, I'll have to decide which day. It would be nice to see a list.

Cheers,

Joe.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

All 12 beers will be available on both days. 4 inside Volo (all on engines) and the rest on stillage served with the help of gravity on the patio.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Awesome, I can't wait for this, i'll be spreading the word to my english cask ale loving friends!!

Later

DT
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

There's a little bit more info up on the Volo website:

http://www.barvolo.com/caskdays.htm

Blurb from the main page of the site:

Do you enjoy cask condition beer? Of course you do, and so do we. That's why we asked 12 Brewers "hey do you like cask beer?". So join us for Volo Cask Days when the meisters unveil their crafty brews. Made special for this occasion. Yup.
Oct 22-23, 12p-6p. Tickets are $15 advance, $20 at the door. Price includes 5 10oz samples and a souvenir glass!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

tupalev wrote:There's a little bit more info up on the Volo website:

The page says "12 Brewers", but there are 13 listed... :-?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:

Thats a neat little ad.

Could be a typo. You could also argue that Scotch Irish / St. Andre / Denisons are all contract brewers and thus could be combined with Church Key/ Black Oak. More likely a typo?

Perhaps a fear of the unlucky #??? hehe :roll:

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

GregClow wrote:The page says "12 Brewers", but there are 13 listed... :-?
Maybe it's like a baker's dozen - ask for 12 and get the 13th free!

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

GregClow wrote:

Was at Volo last night, the explination is that Denison's Dunkel will be available aged in a wooden barrel, but not technically a cask ale.

Other than that, couldn't get much in the way of specifics other than that it would be lots of special and new brews, and that Jer is going to be sorry that he's in Halifax at the time!! :P (Sorry Jer!)

Later

DT
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

This is awesome news! Ralph, thank you for putting this on, I'm off to add this to my calendar and do my share of evangelizing now!

Publican

Post by Publican »

This sounds like a fantastic event and I plan to be there on the Saturday. Since the St. Lawerence festival was cancelled it's great to see a craft brewery only event and even better that it's cask conditioned. I'm glad that Ralph thought of this as Volo is the best place in town to drink real ale, IMO

Even though Smokeless Joe won the best bottle selection, for me Volo has the best selection.

MattB

Post by MattB »

I bought a ticket on Friday ... now it's 14 casks! Ralph even mentioned a cask lager1? i'll have to see what that's like. Hurry and get your tickets, apparently he's now getting enquiries from the States. The word is spreading!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Arghhh! Are they taking ticket orders over the phone? If not, can anyone in the area pick up 2 tickets for me?

If someone is going to the Buffalo Brewfest, I could meet them there to pay for the tickets.

I'd really hate to miss this one.

Thanks,

Andrew

FENFEN

Post by FENFEN »

Here's the current list of breweries (likely to change) signed on for Cask Days:

Denisons
Scotch Irish
Church Key
Black Oak
Neustadt
F&M
St. Andre
Mill Street
Durham County
Wellington
Granite
Trafalgar
King
Heritage

Currently the only way to get an advance ticket is to see Ralph at Volo.

Cheers!
-c

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Ralph mentioned last night that Saturday has now sold out. He's kept a few back for some pre-orders and people he knows can't get tickets yet, but it is officially sold out. It's gonna be nice and busy that day!! I wonder if there will be any beer left for the Sunday tastings?? I also like the idea of oversized glasses with a 10oz and 20oz line for the beers, no spillage means more to drink. Very wise :D

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Now do not go harming Sunday sales, Ralph has assured us several times that there will be more than enough beer left for Sunday (he has back up plans). It will probably taste better given that these will probably be just tapped Thursday in preparation. Great news that everyone has come out and supported this, good job everybody!