Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

October 22nd and 23rd at Volo: Mark Your Calendars

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I delivered the Heritage Brewing casks as well as my own today. The set-up is really wonderful- a sight to behold. Twenty-something casks all on saddle/tables with gravity dispense. Who would of thought such a thing was possible in Ontario? Ralph, that's who.
Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!
"Every day above ground is a good one."

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I really can't wait for this...I hope the casks are ok just off Yonge St. for 36 hours!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Perry, will both of your casks be tapped for Saturday as you suggested earlier in the thread? I'll only be there on Saturday, and I'd hate to miss the Double IPA. My tongue is tingling just thinking about it...

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

PRMason wrote:I delivered the Heritage Brewing casks as well as my own today. The set-up is really wonderful- a sight to behold. Twenty-something casks all on saddle/tables with gravity dispense. Who would of thought such a thing was possible in Ontario? Ralph, that's who.
Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday!
Drooling on my keyboard at the thought of it. Any chance if I click my heels three times and say there's no place like home could I be magically transported to Volo this weekend?

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

Bobbyok wrote:Any chance if I click my heels three times and say there's no place like home could I be magically transported to Volo this weekend?
Let me know if it works. I'll be about 800km east of you for the next week.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

All the casks will be tapped at once, so all beers will be available for sampling on saturday and sunday, if supplies last. Each firkin contains 1440 ounces, but there is some loss due to sediment, so figure 1340oz. So there are 134 samples per firkin, times 22 (I think) beers. If you manage to try them all, you'd have the better part of a two-four down your gullet!
The Sgt. Major (squared) double IPA is interesting. Quite strong at 9%, and very bitter at 120 IBU, but due to the amount of malt in the beer, there is a slight sweetness to take the edge off. I put so many hops in, in constant additions, that the beer will not clear totally even with isinglass finings! There is a slight green haze to it!
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

PRMason wrote:All the casks will be tapped at once, so all beers will be available for sampling on saturday and sunday, if supplies last. Each firkin contains 1440 ounces, but there is some loss due to sediment, so figure 1340oz. So there are 134 samples per firkin, times 22 (I think) beers. If you manage to try them all, you'd have the better part of a two-four down your gullet!
The Sgt. Major (squared) double IPA is interesting. Quite strong at 9%, and very bitter at 120 IBU, but due to the amount of malt in the beer, there is a slight sweetness to take the edge off. I put so many hops in, in constant additions, that the beer will not clear totally even with isinglass finings! There is a slight green haze to it!
An early St. Patty's day offering. Green beer as it was meant to be.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Just a thought for everyone to consider...

Ralph has taken on a lot by initiating this event. There has been a lot of time and effort put into working out all the logistics and trying to have this thing come off flawlessly. There may indeed be hiccups tomorrow and Sunday but I for one am going to try and be really understanding if things aren't just right. Some of the brewers have also never done this type of beer before so...let's all bear that in mind.

Not that I expect anyone here to be anything other than jubilant that this event is happening at all...I just know I can often be less than tolerant when events aren't run well (Toronto Beerfest) but this is a very different kettle of fish. Hats off to everyone involved and a BIG thanks to Ralph.

See you Saturday!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I'll be taking the subway from Union Station. Which stop is closest to Volo, and do I head North or South on Yonge from the stop?

Thanks!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

North from Union, take the Yonge line, Wellesley Station, walk one block north on the east side, can't miss it (@ Dundonald).

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Thanks, Jeff! We're expecting to be there around 1:30.

C'ya then!

FENFEN

Post by FENFEN »

Early friday morning, the first tap, RH and BD doing the honours.
http://www.barvolo.com/the%20first%20tap.jpg
http://www.barvolo.com/the%20first%20tap%202.jpg

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Superb cask ale day at Volo, kudos to Ralph and family for organising a great, innovative event.

The pace and layout were ideal: not too crowded, not too hard to follow the selection.

The beers in general were very good, I didn't have all of them (maybe less than half) but none were off or spoiled in any way. A couple seemed a little green to me (needing more time in the cellar) but no great damage done. For a first collective effort by our brewers they did very well. If there is one constructive comment I would make, it is for brewers to make maltier beers. Even without heavy CO2, a number seemed a little thin for the real ale style. Lots of hops and alcohol have their place: but without a rich malty base a real ale can lose its bearings. But this is a small cavil in what overall was a fine effort.

The top beer by far of the ones I tried was the Black Oak Nut Brown which had a luscious flavour that was redolent of caramel and fruit. A very English-tasting pint it was. While the other beers I had did not really come close, the Mill Street beer deserved points for its exuberant dry-hopping. I liked the Abbey beer from Trafalgar, too.

The cheese plate was great and served with charm and panache by the serving staff.

As always it was nice to catch up with bartowlers including Cass, Doug, Joey, Jon and others.

A great day for beer and Toronto, I look forward to tomorrow.

Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'll second that, from what I sampled, the black oak nut brown was best in show! Awesome.

Great event!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Agreed that today was fantastic. Quite possibly the best beer event I've attended in Toronto, in fact. It went off without a hitch (or at least it seemed so to the attendees), and the outstanding complementary cheese plate was an unexpected treat that made the event even better.

As for the beers, I think I tried 8 or so (would've tried a couple more, but I had to leave early). The Black Oak Nut Brown was definately a favourite - even better than the version they had at the Fort York festival. I also really enjoyed Doug's Scotch Ale from Ste. Andre.

Anyway, congrats and huge thanks to Ralph and co. for pulling this event off, and all of the brewers for the fantastic beers. Here's hoping that it becomes an annual (or even semi-annual) event.