Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

October 22nd and 23rd at Volo: Mark Your Calendars

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Attended Sunday, had an awesome time, probably too awesome, what can I say, so many awesome brews, how can anyone control themselves??

Besides, I was celebrating the Derby win, (as if I need an excuse!)

Ralph: Super, super, SUPER job!!! I think we all need to not only say Thank You in words, but actually make a concious effort to get out to Volo's more often and evangelize this place as an absolutely first rate beer destination in Toronto... Ralph deserves our 100% support, and I think grass roots reviews and recommendations by all of us will help encourage Ralph to do this more often... Thanks for the whole Volo gang for a fantastic event! As so many other have already mentioned, it was just all around fantastic... The beers were in great condition, so nice to be able to pop inside and out, the food was fantastic, everything was quite reasonably priced, the pint glass is stylish and cool, and thank also to all of Ralph's Volo crew, I understand many of them volunteered for this event, so a special thanks to all of them, hopefully they had as much fun on the ahem... 'wrong' side of the tables as we did...

It was great to see so many friends again, I can't remember you all, but had nice chats with Michael, Ken, Gary, Doug, Andicus... Met some folks for the first time - Rob Creighton and TorontoBlue, and the guy who looked like Chris Cornell :)

MDS - I still think you're Doug Shoemaker's son! :) Haha!

Why don't we get Ralph to pick a slow night (Monday or Tuesday) and host a BarTowel night and we'll go fill up our pint glasses (and his cash registers)

My -only- complaint, and it's not to Ralph, it's to all you Saturday people who greedily drank all the Hop Bomb!! Hmph!

Beer Wench

Post by Beer Wench »

Well deserved comments and appreciation. There's really nothing more I can add... I think the sheer quantity and exuberance of all these responses says it all. Ralph and team have my respect and admiration. Here's to the next one.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

JWalter wrote:how can anyone control themselves??

It was great to see so many friends again, I can't remember you all, but had nice chats with Michael, Ken, Gary, Doug, Andicus...
Hehe... You must've not been able to control yourself. I haven't seen you since the Judgefest. I was at Volo on Saturday. *cough*Drunkard*cough* :P

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Andicus wrote:
JWalter wrote:how can anyone control themselves??

It was great to see so many friends again, I can't remember you all, but had nice chats with Michael, Ken, Gary, Doug, Andicus...
Hehe... You must've not been able to control yourself. I haven't seen you since the Judgefest. I was at Volo on Saturday. *cough*Drunkard*cough* :P
Sorry buddy, I always mix you up with Tupalev, for some reason... He looks like an Andicus... In my mind, both of those aliases get mixed up, they both have 3 sylables and mean nothing to me... Ok, new rule, everyone needs to use a Photo as their avatar...(Like MDS!) !!

After we met in Hamilton a few years back, I kept reading Tupalev's posts thinking it was YOU, and then I remember seeing Tupalev at the fest and thinking he was 'Andicus'... My bad, apologies!

Nonetheless, unfortunately I can't argue with the Drunkard comment...

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I just can't bring myself to post a picture on the internet yet...it took me years to participate on a forum! Bill Murray will have to do for now...maybe I could post a picture of John Hartson (football player for Glasgow Celtic for those of you who just said "Who?") instead, that has some resemblance...

That's funny, I actually met Andicus for the first time Saturday. I assure you we look nothing alike, despite our 3 syllable handles.

I think we all enjoyed ourselves Sunday JWalter, so no worries there (I was trying to use up tickets!)

It was nice to meet/chat with all the Bartowelers over the weekend.

Jeff

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

tupalev wrote:I just can't bring myself to post a picture on the internet yet...it took me years to participate on a forum! Bill Murray will have to do for now...maybe I could post a picture of John Hartson (football player for Glasgow Celtic for those of you who just said "Who?") instead, that has some resemblance...

That's funny, I actually met Andicus for the first time Saturday. I assure you we look nothing alike, despite our 3 syllable handles.

I think we all enjoyed ourselves Sunday JWalter, so no worries there (I was trying to use up tickets!)

It was nice to meet/chat with all the Bartowelers over the weekend.

Jeff
Man, I thought that was Phil Collins not Bill Murray. Time to break down and get some glasses. :o

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Gunny wrote:Man, I thought that was Phil Collins not Bill Murray. Time to break down and get some glasses. :o
I guess you haven't seen Lost in Translation yet. :wink:
lister

antirealist

Post by antirealist »

Gunny wrote:Man, I thought that was Phil Collins not Bill Murray.
And I thought it was Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served...

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

In fairness, it is a tiny picture...but Phil Collins???? What have I done to deserve that? :D

Publican

Post by Publican »

I read the Star report on on Wednesday and I thought people on this thread would be talking about it, instead I found it in Random Talk. I thought it was a good report on the cask ale days and the column explaining what cask ale is was accurate and will be useful to people thinking of trying it for the first time. This is a great article for both Ralph and for the fact the real ale is being talked about in a mainstream paper.

I went to both Saturday and Sunday and had a fantastic time. If I lived downtown I would have gone on Monday to have whatever was left of the real ale. Bravo Ralph, can't wait till the next one :D :D

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I maybe teaching people to suck eggs here, but Carl has finally posted a slideshow of the wonderful Cask Days Festival on the Volo website. Brings back nice memories!