Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Oktoberfest Brewers’ Banquet at Granite this Sat, Oct 29th!

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

Oktoberfest Brewers’ Banquet at Granite this Sat, Oct 29th!

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Saturday, October 29, 2005, 7 pm

Enjoy an evening of great food, beer and music At the “beer hall”

German Oom Pa Pa Band

Menu
~~~~
Welcome Beer
Granite Pale Ale

Granite Spent Grain Bread

Beer Goulash
Served with Denison’s Wheat Beer

Smoked Pork Chop and Bratwurst with German Mashed Potatoes and Sauerkraut
Served with Denison’s Dunkel

Apple Strudel
Served with Mill Street’s Oktoberfest Seasonal

Coffee or Tea

$45 includes all taxes and service

Seating is limited

Please call 416-322-0723 or email ron@granitebrewery.ca to reserve.

Ron confirmed that he only has 15 to 20 seats left!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

With nothing currently planned for Saturday night I think that might be fun. :) It's been a long, long time since I've been at a restaurant that had a German Oom Pa Pa band playing. :lol: Two tickets reserved and maybe a couple more...
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Well that was fun. :D I was initially a little disappointed in the seating arrangements. It was large tables of eight seated together so that meant sitting with strangers. I'm anti-social, what can I say... :wink: I presume whomever was at the other end of table we were at (right in front of the band) is a bartowel member judging from the bit of conversation I overheard. We also had a nice older couple sitting down by us who I had some nice conversations with about HDTV and PVRs.

We had a couple of ringberries ahead of the meal. I was relieved that the initial beer of the evening, Granite IPA, wasn't very hoppy. The beer goulash was very good along with the accompanying beer Denison's Weissebier. Good to see Michael there and give a spiel about his two beers. Cheers for the second glass of the weisse! After the serving there were three extra glasses full at the bar. I was so tempted to walk up and snatch one! :P Half way through the dinner I was stuffed. I didn't bother trying the Mill St. Oktoberfest (had several sips at Beer Bistro and didn't like the hopiness though I probably would have downed the glass if I wasn't full as it's not as hoppy as some other stuff out there) and only managed half the apple strudel and a few sips of the young barley wine.

The two man band was pretty good too. :D
lister

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

lister wrote:... a few sips of the young barley wine. ...
I didn't see this one listed in the menu - is this an early version of this year's Mill Street Barley Wine? (if they are doing one, that is...)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

inertiaboy wrote:I didn't see this one listed in the menu - is this an early version of this year's Mill Street Barley Wine? (if they are doing one, that is...)
It was added late and was on the menu at each person's seating. It's actually Granite's barley wine not Mill Streets, straight from fermenting tank #2. I recall Ron, the Granite owner and brewer, mentioning that it should be ready for general consumption in a week or two. Maybe someone else can confirm the availability as I was stuffed by then and starting to feel drowzy.
lister