Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer tasting event at Castro's Jan 21st

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

Beer tasting event at Castro's Jan 21st

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

You guys wanted a beer event... here's one I found in Now Magazine:

"Beer Tasting led by beer master Bill George. 3pm. $35. Castro's Lounge, 2116 Queen E. 416-699-8272."

Anyone ever heard of this "beer master"?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

DAN-D-MAN wrote:You guys wanted a beer event... here's one I found in Now Magazine:

"Beer Tasting led by beer master Bill George. 3pm. $35. Castro's Lounge, 2116 Queen E. 416-699-8272."

Anyone ever heard of this "beer master"?
A google search for "Bill George" beer found this press release with the following blurb:

BILL GEORGE – Bill is a retired educator, a BJCP beer judge, and a winner of over 20 medals in North American brewing competitions. He also works part-time for the LCBO.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I found the following link (sorry for the lack of sophistication):

http://www.homebrewers.ca/Newsletters/Dec%202002.pdf

Interestingly enough, this 2002 article goes on to say that Denison's helles and Steamwhistle's pilser both use the same yeast strain.
Lagerale

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nice work Greg on posting 'all the news that's fit to drink.'

Although I sense with your prolific level of journalistic activity that a few 'ongoing current' items (like LCBO seasonal releases) may get buried in the list among more transient news items. Just thinking of keeping those ongoing initiatives supported, and wonder if they should have a 'sticky' near the top or a sidebar to click?
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:Nice work Greg on posting 'all the news that's fit to drink.'

Although I sense with your prolific level of journalistic activity that a few 'ongoing current' items (like LCBO seasonal releases) may get buried in the list among more transient news items. Just thinking of keeping those ongoing initiatives supported, and wonder if they should have a 'sticky' near the top or a sidebar to click?
Cass and I are working on tweaking the News feed a bit. We've attached catagories to each entry, and we should soon have a way to filter on those if people choose to do so.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Did anyone attend this? I meant to but arrived for various reasons (including a glacially slow streetcar on Queen) too late to participate. I walked up to Feathers and had an excellent pint of County Ale there and a whisky (cask Glen Scotia 1992, rich and briny with a toffee-like overlay from a sherry cask). When I was at Castro's, the beers being compared were Steam Whistle and one of the country Ontario micro lagers, can't recall the name at the moment.

The County at Feathers was in excellent condition. The County itself was good and quite reminiscent of its flavor profile of 10 and 20 years years ago except possibly less complex than it was then. I think it would benefit from more hops. But otherwise a very nice beer and a pleasure it is to be able to sample real ale in Toronto that is not too warm, not sour from being turned, not too yeasty and, well, just right.

Gary