Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spring Cask Days?

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I guess the mystery beer didn't make it to Sunday afternoon. We showed up at 4pm after going to a half dozen Doors Open sites. We got a great table on the patio right away and let loose. I liked cask numbers one, three and five the best. (Surprise, surprise.) Three was the best in my opinion. I guessed that Granite brewed it. We actually both agreed on our favourite cheese (something I didn't think was possible) which was the red one.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

We had a spot on the patio on Saturday and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. It was fun identifying the casks. Thanks Ralph for putting on a great event once again.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

We had a great time Saturday afternoon, which turned into Saturday evening. Spent about 8 hours at Volo, and even met up with some friends that we didn't expect.

1 and 4 were my favourite cask offerings, and I thought number three was just plain awful. It was like the brewer had dumped 100 pounds of Nesquick into it, blah. My guess was that number four was made by Mill Street. I don't know much about cheese, so I wasn't sure what I was looking for in a cheese tasting, but I enjoyed the green one the most.

Great first trip to Volo, enjoyed it very much.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Any left? I couldn't make it on Saturday, and didn't even think of it yesterday (Doh!), does anyone know if there's anything still left?
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I thought 4 to be the best and thought only scotch-irish would achieve this quality. It turned out to be a Mill Street Special Reserve Tank House.

And yes, I had the mystery ber, a quality Belgian, on Sunday aft.
Last edited by northyorksammy on Tue May 30, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

The results: http://www.barvolo.com/situation%20secr ... vealed.htm

The "mystery beer" according to Ralph will remain a mystery beer.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I hope nobody was allergic to hazelnuts! :o

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Blankboy wrote:The results: http://www.barvolo.com/situation%20secr ... vealed.htm

If number three was made with vanilla beans, why did it taste like chocolate? :S

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
Blankboy wrote:The results: http://www.barvolo.com/situation%20secr ... vealed.htm

If number three was made with vanilla beans, why did it taste like chocolate? :S
Probably due to chocolate malts being present (?) or Ken and his Elves chucking a lot of chocolate powder (?) in the mix. You just never know with Black Oak :wink: I also managed to get a taste of cointreau and strawberry in there too. Yet another quite fantastic beer from Ken and his cohorts :D I hope we will see this beer again as it would be a shame if it truly was a one off.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The reveal of the vanilla bean one surprised me. I didn't detect any vanilla in the aroma or taste. Just chocolate. Maybe the vanilla changed off over time much like Perry's vanilla bean cask (coffee flavour) by the time I got to it.

Keep brewing the vanilla beer! I'd still really like to try a Kilkenny-like nitro beer with a strong vanilla smell and taste. I still wistfully dream of brewing my own...

How about a banana beer one-off sometime? Not something stupid sweet like Chapeau (though I do like that one a lot) but something more balanced. Maybe include a bready taste like what Steamwhistle has so it seems like banana bread. :P
lister

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Why would you want a Kilkenny-Style Nitro beer? Are you looking for a seriously bad head the next day? Kilkenny, and most other Nitro-Keg smooth-flow crap, have a real weird and nasty after-taste and are just plain wrong. Kilkenny was eventually brewed down and altered to prevent the awful headaches people were complainig about getting the following day after drinking just a few pints of the stuff. The canned version was even more unforgiving :evil:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Torontoblue wrote:Why would you want a Kilkenny-Style Nitro beer? Are you looking for a seriously bad head the next day?
Because I like the smooth texture? I haven't had any issues with any nitro beers, keg or can, aside from one having no taste (Tetley's.) Maybe that happens to people who drink them all the time. I usually average drinking a nitro once or twice a month.
lister

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Torontoblue wrote:Why would you want a Kilkenny-Style Nitro beer? Are you looking for a seriously bad head the next day? Kilkenny, and most other Nitro-Keg smooth-flow crap, have a real weird and nasty after-taste and are just plain wrong. Kilkenny was eventually brewed down and altered to prevent the awful headaches people were complainig about getting the following day after drinking just a few pints of the stuff. The canned version was even more unforgiving :evil:
I think he was just thinking a nitro beer with a heavy vanilla flavour, rather than a Kilkenny style (correct me if I'm wrong). Not all nitro beers would yield the same hangover result you're referring to or have the same aftertaste. St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is one widely available example I can think of, and Dieu du Ciel in Montreal serves most, if not all of their stouts on nitro and they are some world class beers.

I certainly don't always agree with Lister's beer choices, but I think I'm in agreement on this one. A vanilla Porter, Stout, or even a Mild (ooh, I've got to make one of these now) served on Nitro sounds like it could be mighty tasty.
Last edited by Bobbyok on Tue May 30, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I guess I can't get my head around why anyone would want to drink a 'smooth-flow' type beer, I personally find them bland and not a fair representation of what an ale should be, and I've had a fair few of them unfortunately. Fair enough if you are venturing into ales from lagers, it's a stepping stone, but for regular ale drinkers it seems a backward step. I guess I'm just a 'beer-snob' and prefer cask.

I thought the Oatmeal stout was a CO2 fed ale? Anyway, we shouldn't be encouraging 'smooth-flow' ales, they're evil :evil: :evil:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobbyok wrote:I think he was just thinking a nitro beer with a heavy vanilla flavour, rather than a Kilkenney style (correct me if I'm wrong). Not all nitro beers would yield the same hangover result you're referring to or have the same aftertaste. St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is one widely available example I can think of, and Dieu du Ciel in Montreal serves most, if not all of their stouts on nitro and they are some world class beers.
Actually yeah I should qualify the Kilkenny-like thing a bit. I'd want the vanilla nitro to be darker like Kilkenny and have some flavour to it beyond the vanilla flavour unlike say Tetley's. That's my ideal but I'd certainly try a porter, stout and definitely a mild. But as I said earlier, I've never had any issues with drinking Kilkenny. When did Kilkenny start to brew it down?
I certainly don't always agree with Lister's beer choices, but I think I'm in agreement on this one. A vanilla Porter, Stout, or even a Mild (ooh, I've got to make one of these now) served on Nitro sounds like it could be mighty tasty.
If you ever go on to make a fortune from it, remember where you got the idea from... :wink: I got the idea when we made a vanilla cream ale and thought it would be awesome as a nitro.
lister