Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mondial de la Biere - May 31st to June 4th - Montreal, QC

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Ok, I'm just finalizing plans, printing out some maps & whatnot... In addition to Mondial, we're planning to hit Metro Joanette and Dieu du Ciel, are there any other MUST SEE brewpubs?? I'm not interested in a "Rock Bottom" (If you're familiar with that chain), any place that has the standard Lager, Red & Brown ales, but anything else, beer bar or brewpub that is really interesting that is currently open (meaning in business) in town?
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

JWalter wrote:Ok, I'm just finalizing plans, printing out some maps & whatnot... In addition to Mondial, we're planning to hit Metro Joanette and Dieu du Ciel, are there any other MUST SEE brewpubs?? I'm not interested in a "Rock Bottom" (If you're familiar with that chain), any place that has the standard Lager, Red & Brown ales, but anything else, beer bar or brewpub that is really interesting that is currently open (meaning in business) in town?
L'Amere a Boire and Le Cheval Blanc would be my suggestions for Brewpubs. There's a new one called Benelux as well that might be worthwhile. Reservoir was unimpressive, and while I haven't been to either of them, 3 Brasseurs and Brutopia sound like the kind of place you're trying to avoid.

Here's a map with all the details.
http://www.ratebeer.com/places2/map.asp?mid=86

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I actually found Reservoir to be a fun place with a good vibe and interesting people. Since it's relatively close to Dieu du Ciel I think it's worth checking out when you're up the hill.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We'll be most likely be hitting Sainte Elizabeth (pub only), Cheval Blanc, Dieu Du Ciel, L'Amere a Boire and Reservoir. Of that bunch we went to CB and DDC last year. We really liked the whole feel, vibe and look of CB. Definitely avoid Brutopia.

After spending the evening putting little pasties on my Montreal map identifying everything, I really wish I had my idea of an ultimate PDA for this trip. So much easier... :(
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

My top picks would be DDC, Cheval Blanc and LAmere A Boire.

The beers at sgt. Recreuteur and Reservoir are mediocre to average in most cases. Worth checking out, especially if you are a rater, but don't sacrifice time at any of the above three to do it.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Cass wrote:I actually found Reservoir to be a fun place with a good vibe and interesting people. Since it's relatively close to Dieu du Ciel I think it's worth checking out when you're up the hill.
True, it did seem like it might have a bit more character than some other places, but the beers were just average.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

So many places, so little time!

Hope I run into some of you guys while I'm there.

Beers of the World in the morning, and then we're expecting to get into Montreal sometime around 7pm. One day at the festival, and then head home on Sunday. I hope customs goes easy on us. If not, oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Hello Gents! I posted a big long review of the whole weekend on my blog, so follow this link for all the gory details... Had a great time, very good festival, great town... Will definitely go again, altough perhaps not every year... The Quebec Micros appear to be more creative and more willing to experiment... There are so many white beers, fruit beers, stuff with other ingredients (carrots, peppers, hemp), gueze, wow!

Here's a list of what I brought back from Metro Joanette:

Barbarie - Rousse Bitter
Barbarie - IPA
Barbarie - Rousse Forte aux Fruits
Ephemere Framboise
Sainte Paix
Le Chaundron - Calumet (Double Porter Smoked)
Leifman's Framboise
Multibrasse - Belle Helene Pear Beer
Les Freres Houblon - Fontaine du Diable
Labatt Porter
Schoune - Malin Plaisir (Field Berry Strong Red Ale)
Schoune - Blanche de Quebec
Schoune - Erabiere (Maple)
Brasserie Breughel - Kamouraska Geuze
st. Arnould - Blanche de Anges
Cheval Blanc
RJ - Tord Vis (Maple Strong Beer)
RJ - Coup Grisou
La Tour a Bieres - La Tourelle (Biere aux blueuets - Blueberry)
Bieropholie - Golding Indian Ale (100% Golding Hop)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JWalter wrote: Sainte Paix
What kind of fruit?

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

JerCraigs wrote:
JWalter wrote: Sainte Paix
What kind of fruit?
My bad, I just went in to look through the bottles to see and I can't see that one, I started off entering the beers based on the receipt, I think perhaps that was an error at the register because I don't have a Sainte Paix in my box... Perhaps the Tord Vis (Maple) rang through that way, it's a 660ml bottle from the same brewery...

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

friendly hint, dont wait to drink the barberie ales.

They last as long as a 13-year old virgin at a Victoria's Secret fashion show.

:-)