Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Lawrence is back

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

St. Lawrence is back

Post by Rob Creighton »

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but we (F&M) received notice today from Guy Exley that the St. Lawrence Market Craft Beer Show is going this year on July 15 & 16. Here's the notice:

Taste of Old Town - St. Lawrence Market Craft Beer Show– July 15-16 – New Format!
The 5th annual Taste of Old Town - St. Lawrence Market Craft Beer Show, will take place in the heart of Downtown Toronto in and around the North Market Building of the St. Lawrence Market Complex. The event will feature craft breweries along with local restaurants from the “Old Town” Toronto area.
• Show Hours: Saturday, June 15 – noon – 10pm Sunday, June 16 – noon – 6pm

I'm looking forward to this year's event.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Good to hear!

But is that June or July (both appear in the above listing)? Hopefully both. :)

But checking the calendar, the 15th and 16th fall on the weekend in July.

Also, I have to say I'm happy with the change in food idea. I never got too excited with the pork offerings. (Perhaps the beer gets you in the 'sampling' mood, and then it's too difficult to commit to one food stall.)

Local food sounds like a good idea.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

You beat me to the punch, Rob - I emailed Guy yesterday to ask if there was any chance of the fest returning this year, and he sent me the details this afternoon.

I'm really glad to see the return of this festival. It provides a nice counterpoint to the Fort York fest.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

this is sopmething i will likely go to

cask99

Post by cask99 »

Does anyone know if there is a listing of breweries that will be attending?
Real Ale

safe@home

Post by safe@home »

will the ribs be there as well, does anyone know?

This event always has awesome breweries represented.

Thanks!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

No ribs, by the sound of it. I won't miss it that much, and am interested in seeing the local offerings.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Have there been any more details made available about this event? Cost? Breweries? I'm skipping the Fort York one this year and this sounds like a better choice anyway.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

jmcnally wrote:Have there been any more details made available about this event? Cost? Breweries? I'm skipping the Fort York one this year and this sounds like a better choice anyway.
From their website www.goodbeer.ca :

"There is no admission charge to enter these events. If you are sampling alcohol, the cost is $5 for a souvenir sample glass and $1 per 4oz sample of beer. The sample glass is good for each day of the event."

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

No Friday in the event this time around. That was a nice way to end the work week, but I'm just happy that the event is back in any shape or form.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Just got the news... The St. Lawrence beer fest is no no-go again. Many reasons are given and they are trying to organise something in T.O. for September.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Do you know if the Peterborough event cancelled as well? As fate would have it, I'm going to be there this weekend and thought I'd lucked into a little festival...

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Peterborough and Kitchener are still on.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Oopsie, I just booked a weekend away for the St Lawrence weekend. :oops: I suppose a family reunion comes first.

I look forward to reading your reviews on here.

EDIT: just noticed that it has been cancelled! :cry:

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

PRMason wrote:Just got the news... The St. Lawrence beer fest is no no-go again. Many reasons are given and they are trying to organise something in T.O. for September.
Sigh. :( At least we have the Summerhill event at the end of the month.