Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tasting- An evening of Darkness

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Tasting- An evening of Darkness

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Evil is lurking in my closet, and it needs to be unleashed. The evil I speak of is beer. Stouts to be exact.

I will be hosting a tasting on November the 11th. It is a saturday.

There will be many stouts on hand. Mostly imperial, and mostly top rated stouts.

ALl are welcome, and can stay over if necessary.

If you are interested in this, and are willing to come to London, then message me privately, and I can start to put things together.

Thank you
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Sounds good... I've certainly got a few stouts on hand!

mds

Post by mds »

I should be able to make it and I have a couple of dark beers from Ølfabrikken that I can bring.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

what about a sunday aft session for Belgiums? I am Ohio until Saturday night. I can also offer lifts both or either way from the subway

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

I will try my best to make it Len. Thanks for the invitation.

Cheers, Doug

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

northyorksammy wrote:what about a sunday aft session for Belgiums? I am Ohio until Saturday night. I can also offer lifts both or either way from the subway
In addition to the stouts the night before?

Could be interesting. :D

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

"I should be able to make it and I have a couple of dark beers from Ølfabrikken that I can bring"

I really like their stuff and have been trying to engineer another trade before the freezing weather. WHat will it take to hold off till the Sunday session.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

If you guys want to do two days that's great.

We could hit the ceeps too for any of you who haven't been there.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

We could hit the ceeps too

is that the local brewpub

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It would certainly be classified as a brew pub, but it's not the sort of pub most of us would frequent.

The Ceeps is the old CPR hotel... one of the older buildings in London. In the 90's, Maclean (who went on to F&M) got them brewing. They wanted a cheap knock-off of Labatt Blue. I haven't had a pint in 9 years, so I can't really comment on the current quality... but back then, it was certainly a cheap knock-off of Labatt Blue!

Plenty of University & College kids during the school year. In the summer, they have a HUGE patio (Barney's), which is probably our closest thing to a beer garden.

It is pretty close to the Alex P Keaton though... and they usually have some interesting craft on tap (as good as it gets in London):
http://www.thealexpkeaton.com/beer.htm

We've also got the Marienbad/Chaucer's which has great food for a reasonable price, and a good beer menu:
http://www.londonsource.com/pdf/service ... 93beer.pdf

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ok, things are looking good. I feel it is enough notice for everyone to make plans.

I have changed the beer schedule to include a whallop of Newfoundland beers as well. All are low ABV, but most of them will be new to all of you. (My dad just dropped of 2 12 packs of all different newfoundland beers to me today.

So Dark Lord will bve making an appearance, as well as barrell aged fish tale poseidon, and you can include some other top rated fruit beers as well.

But the darkness is consuming me, the Dark Lord must be released.........it is calling my name (Mike, it whispers for you too)

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

any screech barrel aged beers

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

No, but I will have:

Quidi Vidi Lager
Quidi Vidi Honey
Quidi Vidi Honey Light
Quidi Eric Red Cream
QUidi Vidi Light
Storm Hemp Ale
Storm Red
Storm Island GOld
Storm Coffee Porter

and more

Len

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It'll be interesting to see if the Storm Porter has that Brett character again:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2595/28753

(hmmm... that rating was probably a little generous).

Can Brett survive the screech?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

All attendees will get a chance to sample almost every brew from storm and QV, plus some stouts!