Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Cherry Stout Cask Version

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Double Chocolate Cherry Stout Cask Version

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

HI Again Everybody
Adrian has brewed up a really good batch (full size) of our infamous Double Chocolate Cherry Stout.
I think the last time this hit the street was in April of 2005.
This year we seem to be on time and will have a whole bunch of stout.
I think it will last until the summer saison comes back.

I'll be delivering casks of this beer to Cafe Volo, C'est What, & Victory Cafe on Tuesday, so it should be ready for Valentines day:
"GIVE YOUR SWEETIE A FRESH HANDPULL!!!" (sorry could not resist)

Keg versions will be appearing soon (once i find the right stuff for a tap handle at the dollar store)
Bottle version will be available at the retail store towards the end of February (Yes once again i'm behind in getting everything done and am only now getting to work on the labels for the stout)

This beer is a stout in which the first part of the chocolate is from chocolate malt, and the second part from coco powder.
The cherry we use is from a Fruit Farm in Niagara on the lake (Adrian found it in a moment of serindipity) reallly good flavour. I find it finishes well at the end with a hint of cherry sweetness.

The kegs should be appearing at The Bow & Arrow, the Rebel House, Beer Bistro, C'est What and hopefully a few others.
Looks like i better get my ass in gear for the tap handles and labels before i get swamped with questions.

I hope you enjoy.

Cheers
Ken

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

I remember the 2005 and thought it was fabulous. Count me in for a case when it's ready.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Bow's been advertising it as "comming soon"... I was hoping it would be a cask... looks like I'll have to head downtown.

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Adrian did come up with a name for our cask version of Double Chocolate Cherry Stout:
"Cherry Bomb"

I think it works as there is more cherry in the cask version and it kind of sync's up with the Hop Bomb name for our pale ale version.

I've delivered casks to C'est What, Victory and Volo today, we still have one cask on reserve for Volo and one other cask i'm hoping to send to C'est what.

Cheers
Ken

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I do believe I had the first consumer taste of the Cherry Stout. I found that the cherry flavour wasn't readily apparent at the start or the middle but showed up at the end but in a subtle way. It was quite nice and smooth overall. I think I prefer the Nutcracker porter more though I think this falls as number two in my list of likeable stouts behind L'Aphrodisiaque while Mill Street's Cobblestone Stout comes in third (I'm not much of a stout drinker.)

Anyways, it was a good night at Volo. The carbonara was it's usual fineness and the oysters quite good (so I'm told, I don't like them little buggers.)
lister

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Unfortunately Volo & Victory were both out by Saturday. :(

C'est What should be tapping it soon... just try to leave some for me!

(It's sad that I live in Toronto now, and I still miss out).

Is volo expecting another cask, or is their site just a little stale (unlike their beer, which is always fresh). :D

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Derek wrote:Unfortunately Volo & Victory were both out by Saturday. :(

Is volo expecting another cask, or is their site just a little stale (unlike their beer, which is always fresh). :D
i was at volo saturday evening and hoped i might still catch some of this, but as i figured it was gone. however, ken mentioned above and ralph confirmed that they will be getting a second cask of it, and might have it on tap soon too.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I love that BarTowelers look forward to one offs and new releases. The "buzz" they create is great. I wish that all I did were seasonals and one big kick-ass IPA.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

OK, I can't resist. Perry, please please bring back Dogsbody this summer!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Oops... I need to read more carefully. :D

Glad to hear Volo is definitely getting another!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

PRMason wrote:I love that BarTowelers look forward to one offs and new releases. The "buzz" they create is great. I wish that all I did were seasonals and one big kick-ass IPA.
Yes, as do we.

-Josh

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I had this at the Bow two days ago and it is great! It has perfect balance and is not too sweet, the chocolate and cherry notes are not overdone nor are they obscured by maltose or other sweetening.

A fine effort which I followed with a cask Durham XXX IPA which was outstanding as well.

Great beer and as good or better than any craft beer I've had anywhere in the world.

Gary

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

SAmpled at the Winking Judge yesterday...quite nice with a load of chocolate malt at the start with the cherry coming through in the end. Nice job!

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Is the bottled version on sale yet?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

wittaker wrote:Is the bottled version on sale yet?
DITTO! :-?
Aventinus rules!