Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Downtown Kitchener Ribfest and Craft Beer Show

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

KwaiLo

Downtown Kitchener Ribfest and Craft Beer Show

Post by KwaiLo »

Is anyone planning to go tomorrow?

This is the one time of the year my friends don't roll their eyes at my talk of beer. I have managed to get the group larger this year than last, hope to be able to continue that.

I decided to help advertise GRB, and bought a hat. So, if you see a 6'5" guy with a GRB hat and a Chinese tattoo on his right arm, there is a good chance it is me, Scott. Say hi, we can chat over a beer.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Scott isn't lying. He's a behemoth!

clasher

Post by clasher »

I was there for a bit, but there wasn't anything of interest, and a long lineup, so we went to the castle and had some proper-sized beers.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I'll be there on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I'm taking the father-in-law on Sunday to expose him to more then just a "buck a beer" beer.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I had a great time yesterday, but I am not sure if I will go back. The lines for everything were so long, that it doesn't really make sense. I could have sat at a patio somewhere with the same people and had as much fun.

Last year I was able to get to all of the brewery booths, and sample the beer that I had yet to try. This year though, I only made it to four booths.

I had a table right by the Grand River Brewing booth, and I couldn't see walking through multiple 50 person lines to get to another 50 person line. I ended up spending most of my tokens on Galt Knife Old Style.

I was able to try some of all the vendors bbq last year also, but the lines this year for food seemed to average an hour plus.

If the food vendors doubled, and the breweries had double the pouring capacity it would have been close to a perfect afternoon.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I went Sat. early...saw all the local folks pouring...good crowds...more each year but fewer exibitors??? :-?

The R Simpson display is impressive like all their promo gear.....top flight profile. The sugar bush was on tap...after 2 "thimbles" of Galt Knife I spent the next 3 token on the Simpson lager then headed for the Huether for a tall pint of werzberger.
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I was only able to do set-up on Friday but from all reports, the consistency of the last few years is gone and people have apparently 'discovered' the Kitchener Beer Fest. I can see not wanting to stand in long lines for either beer or food and I'm sure we can provide more taps, more pourers and a bigger bar for next year. That part is simple. I guess the issue will be the open nature of the event. Hope those there had a good time and I'm sure Harold at the Castle probably benefitted from the overflow.