Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

To anyone who was on the patio early at the Saturday night session and was confused by the guy in the inappropriate, um, German outfit that walked by on Dundonald St. - I just saw his picture in Now Magazine as part of a leather "fashion & fetish" show.

(pictured on the right of the top photo) http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-1 ... pfront.php

Actually wait... Now that I think about it, this doesn't really explain anything...

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

sstackho wrote:To anyone who was on the patio early at the Saturday night session and was confused by the guy in the inappropriate, um, German outfit that walked by on Dundonald St. - I just saw his picture in Now Magazine as part of a leather "fashion & fetish" show.

(pictured on the right of the top photo) http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-1 ... pfront.php

Actually wait... Now that I think about it, this doesn't really explain anything...
Yes it does, Northbound Leather that organizes said fettish show every year around Halloween is across Yonge street from Volo, probably someone with a late pickup and just dressing at the store....cause walking around toronto dressed like that isn't creepy at all....
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

mabel

Post by mabel »

Duct Tape wrote:
sstackho wrote:To anyone who was on the patio early at the Saturday night session and was confused by the guy in the inappropriate, um, German outfit that walked by on Dundonald St. - I just saw his picture in Now Magazine as part of a leather "fashion & fetish" show.

Yes it does, Northbound Leather that organizes said fettish show every year around Halloween is across Yonge street from Volo, probably someone with a late pickup and just dressing at the store....cause walking around toronto dressed like that isn't creepy at all....
I love how you know that, Duct Tape. (Great photos, btw.) :)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

mabel wrote:I love how you know that, Duct Tape. (Great photos, btw.) :)
LOL, it helped that one of my friends used to live right across the street from Volo on St. Joseph St. The alley on the west side of Yonge St that took you from the back entrance of their building to Wellesley to get to the subway went right past Northbound....if you think the front store window displays on Yonge are creepy...you should check the alley window displays sometime....shudder!!!

Glad you liked the pictures!!
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

jethro796

Post by jethro796 »

I read josh rubin's piece and thought he was way off the mark on george eagleson's herbal mild. It was the first beer I tried that night and I went back for seconds! I know that some people attending voted it their favorite( not me ). Too bad the article wasn't a little more timely - the monday after the event would have been better.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

jethro796 wrote:I read josh rubin's piece and thought he was way off the mark on george eagleson's herbal mild. It was the first beer I tried that night and I went back for seconds! I know that some people attending voted it their favorite( not me ). Too bad the article wasn't a little more timely - the monday after the event would have been better.
i enjoyed his mild too, and told him so. i thought the licorice did dominate the aroma, but but it was pleasantly fairly mellow in the taste. i think i actually went back for seconds of it on sunday.

i wouldn't knock his tastes. everybody is different, and some like one more than others. for example, i'm not at all fond of pumpkin ales or the magnotta brew, but others loved both. last year he told us to go "easy on the hops", this year he didn't. i don't worry about it too much and i'm guessing george won't either.

as for the timing, his articles always seem to come out on wednesdays, every second or third week. unfortunately, this was one of those time when it went to a third week and didn't appear on the wednesday after the event. maybe that was intentional, since otherwise he wouldn't have been able to announce the favourite cask/name in the article.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Strangely, I didn't place the licorous in the Herbal mild, so I don't think it was too over-the-top.

That said, I don't like licorous (or many herbs for that matter), so I wasn't overly fond of it either. It did have a hell of a lot of flavour for it's weight though... definitely a well-crafted brew... just not to my taste.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The herb used in the Mild was actually Star Anice and not licquorice/licorice. Thought you'd all like to know.

And I voted it the best beer of the festival. Just seems that some people don't like anything too different from the norm.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Torontoblue wrote:And I voted it the best beer of the festival. Just seems that some people don't like anything too different from the norm.
(rolls eyes) Yeah, us Bartowelers are so well known for our love of sameness and repetition.

I was really looking forward the mild after chatting with George about it. I love star anise - I didn't much care for the beer though. I'd give it another go if I had the chance, but I didn't find the flavours balanced each other very well for my liking.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I wasn't referring to fellow Bartowelers. It was the reviews I've read elsewhere and other people's reaction to the Herbal Mild.