Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

C'est What's 19th Annual Fall Festival of Craft Breweries

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is Nickelbrook Organic Belgian White the same as the summer one or a new version? I thought the summer version was more of a German example.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

So who's all going to be at C'est What on Friday? Everyone? I'll be there bright and early.

Too bad there's no Bar Towel preview night this time round. That was good!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I'll be there. God bless public transit, no drinking and driving.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll be there!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:Is Nickelbrook Organic Belgian White the same as the summer one or a new version? I thought the summer version was more of a German example.
I thought it was without a doubt a Belgian Wit though not as strong in smell and taste as the usual Belgian Wit suspects. I had it back when it was first making the rounds with the incorrect name Banana Wheat so the brain was expecting one thing but the nose and tastebuds found something entirely different.

If I had to drink a Belgian Wit at gun point (odd situation that) I'd pick Nickelbrook's as it's the least offensive one to me.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lister wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Is Nickelbrook Organic Belgian White the same as the summer one or a new version? I thought the summer version was more of a German example.
I thought it was without a doubt a Belgian Wit though not as strong in smell and taste as the usual Belgian Wit suspects. I had it back when it was first making the rounds with the incorrect name Banana Wheat so the brain was expecting one thing but the nose and tastebuds found something entirely different.

If I had to drink a Belgian Wit at gun point (odd situation that) I'd pick Nickelbrook's as it's the least offensive one to me.
perhaps my memory is deceiving me. Either way, I apparently enjoyed it substantially more than you did!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Sounds like a treat. I will definitely have to try to stop in.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Kellertrübes is now officially named "HelenKellertrübes".
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Okay, let's get the 'lets get blind drunk' and 'if we both get drunk is that the blind leading the blind?' jokes out of the way. :)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hi guys. I know the event says that seating starts at 4pm, and the event itself starts at 5pm, but my question is how early should I turn up to get a table for two? I've not been to this event in the past so I'm a bit like Helen Keller.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I was just curious if anyone from the Niagara region had any intentions of going to this? If so, do you want to carpool? You can imagine that I hesitate to drive up and then drive back potentially intoxicated. I would be more than happy to contribute to gas and I would love to have a marathon session of sampling. If anyone's interested let me know.
Cheers

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bobsy wrote:Hi guys. I know the event says that seating starts at 4pm, and the event itself starts at 5pm, but my question is how early should I turn up to get a table for two? I've not been to this event in the past so I'm a bit like Helen Keller.
To be safe you probably should aim to be there close to 5 and beat the after-work rush.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Tables fill up fast, and you have been expected to purchase food to get a table the last few years. The last couple have however been quieter than previous years in terms of lining up to get in (or maybe I just got there early enough to beat the rush?)

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I was just in and out. Impossible to get a table, but it wasn't annoyingly packed -- just understandably popular.

Maybe it's the $1 samples talking but I have to say that after tonight's event, I've never been so optimistic as an Ontario beer drinker. The sheer range of styles and level of overall quality was unprecedented for an entirely local tasting. Brewers are really trying their best, and it seems they're getting better at their craft every season. Political stuff aside, it never really occurred to me how good our scene could be until this evening. A few more rounds like this and we'll really be getting somewhere.

I finally got a chance to taste the Plowman's Ale, too. This is easily one of the best locally produced beers I've ever had. Kudos to all the new guys making names for themselves!

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thanks Shintriad. These kinds of festivals allow the brewers to have a little fun and be inventive without the risk of financial ruin.
I appreciate your support, as well as the support of your fellow Bartowelers.
"Every day above ground is a good one."