Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Blind Tiger Ale House, Gotham

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beermat

Blind Tiger Ale House, Gotham

Post by Beermat »

If anyone's going to be in NYC this week, here's something that's worth knowing about. In fact, if you want to make yourself miserable it's worth subscribing to the Blind Tiger newsletter, which will apprise you of far too many amazing events you'll miss. If only our excellent local publicans were at liberty to put together a list like this. Time to start ruminating about separating from Ontario, and possibly Canada. All this in one place on one day and all on draught. The head hurts at the thought.

Nick

Dear Tigerites,

The time is at hand for the first Night of the Imperials on Bleecker St... In honor of the new space, I have decided to add a little food to this Imperial madness - and by little, I mean little... Yeah, I'm sure you can smell the irony... This big night of big beer will also include one of the smallest, tastiest treats around...shrimp! Get it? Shrimp? Imperials? See? It's funny... Okay, I'll stop...

Here is the deal - starting @ 3:00PM (yes, 3PM) Wednesday Feb. 27th, we will be serving some of the best of the biggest beers around. To give it an extra kick, we will also be offering jumbo shrimp cocktails with our special "bloody sauce" for Wed. & Thurs. (while supplies last). AND, as always, there will be free cheese from our friends at Murray's on Wednesday starting 6:00PM. Is that enough information for you?

Oh... How about a beer list?

The List:
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Speakeasy Imperial IPA
Troeg's Nugget Nector (Imperial Amber)
Green Flash Imperial IPA
Goose Island Imperial IPA '04
Dogfish Head 120 '05 (via Randall)
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout '04
Chelsea Czar's Revenge '05
He'Brew Rye Cask Jewbilation 11 (that's Imperial Jewbilation-y)
Southampton Russian Imperial Stout
Black Forest Imperial Pils.
Buffalo Stout (a kind of Belgian Imperial Stout)
Southern Tier Back Burner (an Imperial Barley-Wine (yeah, you heard me right))
Southern Tier Unearthly IPA
Podge Belgian Imperial Stout
Weyerbacher Simcoe (Imperial IPA)
Blue Point Sour Cherry Imperial Stout
Lagunitas Lumpy Gravy (Imperial Brown Ale)
Avery Czar (Imperial Stout)
Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA (cask)
Smuttynose Baltic Porter (Gravity Keg)
Otter Creek Sea Otter Baltic Porter (cask)
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Ruination
Rogue Double Dead Guy
Rogue I2PA
Rogue Imperial Porter
Slyfox Oddyssey IPA (Imperial IPA)

Yeah, that's an imperial list... Here is the thing; I also have some very cool surprises that I won't even talk about... BUT I want you all to be prepared: call work, call your husbands, call your wives, your children, your parents, your dog-walkers...whoever...and tell them you won't be available for the next week...heck, quit work and get a divorce - make it easier... I'm serious. Did I mention we will be selling shrimp cocktails?

I'm going to wear a Viking helmet for this one; I suggest that you do the same… But you won’t get anything for free if you do, so don’t ask…

Alan

PS - we will be doing a big Pot-Luck Bash for our birthday on Sunday March 16th...
Details will follow.

This message was sent by: Blind Tiger, 281 Bleecker St., New York, NY 10014

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jesus.

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

The previous evening Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn is doing beers from Quebec's Hopfenstark and Dieu du Ciel:
On Tap:

from HOPFENSTARK
1. Kamarad Freidrich (11% Russian Imperial Stout)
2. Ostalgia Blond (5% Kolsch)
3. Saison 55 (6.5% Hoppy Saison)

from DIEU du CIEL!
1. Rigor Mortis (6.5% Belgian Blond)
2. Aphrodite (6% Cocoa & Vanilla Stout)
3. Peche Mortel (9.5% Espresso Imperial Stout)
4. IN CASK - Corpus Cristi (5.5% Rye Ale)

It's enough to make you weep. And on March 8-9 Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn is doing their annual Split Thy Skull event with a terrifying array of strong beers -- http://www.mugsalehouse.com/
What are we doing here? Oh yes -- health care.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

Funnily enough, I happened by chance to be in NYC last week and was at both events... in a word: amazing.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."