Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

C'est What Spring Festival Of Small Breweries

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

georgemilbrandt

C'est What Spring Festival Of Small Breweries

Post by georgemilbrandt »

C'est What's next beer festival takes place on Friday May 23 from 5:00 to 10:00. There will be the usual and unusual, thirty-five to forty examples of the best Canada has to offer in sample sizes at a loonie each. Confirmed so far are:

Amsterdam- Pomegranate Wheat
Barley Days- Summer Breeze Light Ale
Big Rock- MacNally's (bottle)
Church Key- Honey & Water Meade , Cranberry Wheat
Durham- Belgian Wit
Grand River- Pilsner
Heritage- Maple Bush Lager
King- Pils Bock
Neustadt- Scottish Ale Cask
Nickel Brook- Cuvee
Sleeman- Ephemere Pomme, all of the new Unibroue bottles
Wellington- SPA Cask

Much more to come.

Our e-news will be sent out this week.
George, C'est What

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

George, you can count me and the missus in for this event. The fall festival was our first and we had a great time. The lineup for this one is already very intriguing and I can tell it will make another great evening! :D

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

CK Honey & Water Meade - Anyone know if this i sa different mead from the purple loosestrife? Intriguing!

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

Finally! I was waiting for this, I was actually about to make a thread wondering when the next one was. Great timing!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

What are the "new Unibroue bottles" (or "new to Ontario Unibroue bottles" as they are described on the news page)?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:What are the "new Unibroue bottles" (or "new to Ontario Unibroue bottles" as they are described on the news page)?
According to the latest C'est What newsletter:

"The Unibroue bottled collection has arrived. We are now carrying Blanche de Chambly, Don de Dieu, Chambly Noir, Maudite, La Fin du Monde, and Trois Pistoles."

georgemilbrandt

Post by georgemilbrandt »

Additions to the list of "just-here-for-the-festival" are:

Mill Street Wit, Great Lakes Chocolate Orange Peel, Trafalgar Dark Wheat, Big Rock Grasshopper Wheat, Trafalgar Smoked Rye, and Nickelbrook Organic White Beer.

The Grand River Pils will not be making an appearance (brewery accident making it unavaialble for a couple of weeks). The Neustadt Scottish Ale is actually a variation called Double Fuggle.

There will be forty-two beers available for sampling.
George, C'est What

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Nice. Looking forward to tonight.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll swing by after work. See everyone there.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I'm looking forward to this, as always. I should be there bright and early around 5, since I have to make an early exit when the baby gets handed off to me at 8.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Fun night! I've always wanted to go to the spring/fall fests, but have never been able to make it. This was my first time and it was a blast. Seemed pretty well-attended (can't compare it to other fests as I have not been), and highlights for me were Black Oak's Hop Bomb (amazing as always, and it seemed better than ever) and Double Chocolate Cherry Stout, Durham's Hop Head (great as usual), and the Church Key Honey & Water Mead. The surprise of the evening was the MacNally's Extra Ale, which my brother and I really enjoyed. Good times all around - I look forward to hearing the results.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

As always, a good time had by all! Even without lamb burgers!

Cheers George.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

It's when the "festival season" comes around that I really miss the business and the die hard beer geeks (of which I count myself as one). I am still making beer on my patio, but none of it will reach the people (other than me and a few of my Ottawa friends) that might appreciate it. I can't participate at Fort York, so no Major Misconduct ,Amarillo Sunset or Mental Bob for me this year. Suffice to say, I will miss all of you and your companionship and I will be thinking of you all when the kegs are tapped at each festival.
Cheers!
Perry
Future President
Hopping Wolf Artisan Brewery
"Every day above ground is a good one."

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

PRMason wrote:Perry
Future President
Hopping Wolf Artisan Brewery
Hope this won't be too far into the future, Perry. We miss you too!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

perry, i heard some buzz at the winking judge
any advance news on your plans, where and how?