Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Downtown Kitchener Ribfest & Craft Beer Show

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer Geek

Downtown Kitchener Ribfest & Craft Beer Show

Post by Beer Geek »

I was talking to the organizer of the Downtown Kitchener Ribfest & Craft Beer Show the other day and thought I would report in with some details.

First, they have a new website, www.KitchenerRibAndBeerFest.com. Right now it's just a temporary page but more info should be up soon.

They will have 10 breweries attending this year, up from 7 last year. If my memory serves me right, here are the attendees:

Cameron's
Wellington
Brick
F&M
Mill Street
Cool
Steam Whistle
Better Bitters
Robert Simpson
Grand River

I know they lost a couple of breweries last year to the London beer fest, but those breweries were disappointed so they’ve come back to Kitchener. This will be the first time for Mill Street. I hope they bring some interesting stuff from the brewpub.

Oh, and they will also have one more bbq team so the line-ups from last year should be alleviated.

Hope to see you there!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Sorry, the dates are July 18-20!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'll most likely be popping in at least once to check out the brews. The ribs are great too, but the lines get so unbelievably ridiculous I tend to just not bother. I'm assuming there won't be much availablet that I haven't had already, but like you said, it'd be nice if Mill St. brought some interesting things from their brewpub, as in stuff that isn't generally available anywhere else.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I remember last year Grand River by far had the most attention. It was always funny to see the reactions on people's faces as they walked away taking their first sip of either the Plowman's or the Galt Knife :P. Some of them didn't seem to "get it" in regards to the beers. It was funny but at the same time painfully frustrating, because they were obviously people who knew dick-all about beer and we're just following the crowd/were curious what the new local brewery had to offer.

Maybe I'm just an elitist prick, but these people always seem to get under my skin a bit. The ones who like to think that they're really adventurous by trying "new" and or "different" beers, and then decide they hate them because they really just don't understand them. "Coffee flavoured BEER?!?!?", "Beer shouldn't be this bitter", "It's too 'out there'", "Beer isn't supposed to taste like this", "Beer isn't supposed to be this dark", "I don't like dark beer" (I've always hated that one the most because they just clump anything beyond pale yellow into the psychosematic category of "dark beer").

But despite all that, I don't want to open a can of worms here, so whatever, people can do what they want. Leave the real beer for me, *cough*morons*cough*. You guys should probably just ignore this post.....

I think 80% of the Red Wings should retire now, since I remember watching most of them when I was 10. There, please discuss that instead if you wish to pick apart my post :P.......

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

JesseM wrote:I remember last year Grand River by far had the most attention. It was always funny to see the reactions on people's faces as they walked away taking their first sip of either the Plowman's or the Galt Knife :P. Some of them didn't seem to "get it" in regards to the beers. It was funny but at the same time painfully frustrating, because they were obviously people who knew dick-all about beer and we're just following the crowd/were curious what the new local brewery had to offer.

Maybe I'm just an elitist prick, but these people always seem to get under my skin a bit. The ones who like to think that they're really adventurous by trying "new" and or "different" beers, and then decide they hate them because they really just don't understand them. "Coffee flavoured BEER?!?!?", "Beer shouldn't be this bitter", "It's too 'out there'", "Beer isn't supposed to taste like this", "Beer isn't supposed to be this dark", "I don't like dark beer" (I've always hated that one the most because they just clump anything beyond pale yellow into the psychosematic category of "dark beer").

But despite all that, I don't want to open a can of worms here, so whatever, people can do what they want. Leave the real beer for me, *cough*morons*cough*. You guys should probably just ignore this post.....

I think 80% of the Red Wings should retire now, since I remember watching most of them when I was 10. There, please discuss that instead if you wish to pick apart my post :P.......
It does "sound like you are an elitist prick".

I applaud people that are willing to try new beer, and I don't expect them to not make a funny face if the majority of their beer exposure comes from macros.

Calling people "morons" because they haven't been exposed to something, or, don't have a taste for something is ignorant.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I remember when I thought Guinness was the most bitter "out there" beer I had ever tried. People have to start somewhere.

Beer Festivals like this are a great place for people to try something new, especially when they are craft beer focused.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

KwaiLo wrote:
JesseM wrote:I remember last year Grand River by far had the most attention. It was always funny to see the reactions on people's faces as they walked away taking their first sip of either the Plowman's or the Galt Knife :P. Some of them didn't seem to "get it" in regards to the beers. It was funny but at the same time painfully frustrating, because they were obviously people who knew dick-all about beer and we're just following the crowd/were curious what the new local brewery had to offer.

It does "sound like you are an elitist prick".

I applaud people that are willing to try new beer, and I don't expect them to not make a funny face if the majority of their beer exposure comes from macros.

Calling people "morons" because they haven't been exposed to something, or, don't have a taste for something is ignorant.
I don't think Jesse dislikes people who try something new and dislike it, I think he dislikes the people who try something new, dislike it, and then say its crap as if they are an authority on the subject. I think the real ignorance comes from the people who have a set preconception of how beer should be, and dismiss anything that doesn't match it. You see, there are folks out there who can try something new, and even if its not to their liking, realise that there's merit to it. There are also people out there who dismiss anything outside of their comfort zone, and I think this is indicative of a close-minded personality.

As for elitism, we are all created equal, but some of are more equal than others.

crawler

Post by crawler »

I side with Jesse here, I know a lot of morons who aren't even willing to try anything different than Molbatt's, Heineken, or anything else from a well-advertised multinational brewer, and/or when they taste it, say it's not how beer is supposed to be (or the good ol' "it's too dark").

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JesseM wrote:if Mill St. brought some interesting things from their brewpub, as in stuff that isn't generally available anywhere else.
Does anyone know what kind of licence the bewpub has? Is it a brewpub or a brewery with a tied house attached? I would guess it was the latter since they have the retail store? Which means they could theoretically bring stuff from the brewpub off premises.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Who cares what other people choose to drink? Being an elitist prick like some around here does nothing but promote that we're a bunch of snobs. Support local craft breweries, introduce the people who show interest in craft beer, and don't give a shit about the rest because it's not your problem.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

viggo wrote:Who cares what other people choose to drink? Being an elitist prick like some around here does nothing but promote that we're a bunch of snobs. Support local craft breweries, introduce the people who show interest in craft beer, and don't give a shit about the rest because it's not your problem.
Viggo, you are correct that we shouldn't care about what someone else is drinking - aggressively imposing our choices on others or demeaning them based on their choice of beer doesn't only betray snobbishness, but also gross arrogance and insensitivity. However, I think it is important that we do care when the reasons for a person's dislike of a beer are based on ignorance and not on quality. To use one of Jesse's examples - a person who says 'beer isn't supposed to taste like this' is assuming that there is one generic taste for beer that everything should conform to, which we all know is clearly wrong and is hardly the right criteria for judging the merits of a drink (doesn't taste like labatt 50...I give it 0 out of 5). I'm a huge supporter of Ontario beer, and brewmasters all over this province strive their hardest to put out the best possible product. I hope that they are rewarded for their hard work by getting the recognition that they deserve. This isn't going to happen as quickly as it should if ignorant drinkers are writing off their beers to their friends at festivals. I won't tell people what they should and shouldn't drink or should and shouldn't do, but I will oppose ignorance in all of its forms, whether its in beer or more important areas of life.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

The only thing any of us can do is explain that beer comes in many different shapes and forms. If thats not said none of us have any right to complain.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

viggo wrote:The only thing any of us can do is explain that beer comes in many different shapes and forms. If thats not said none of us have any right to complain.
Agreed!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

1) Try explaining that beer comes in many different styles, flavours, colours etc, and NOT get the typical glazed eyed look of confusion and dissinterest (especially from people who live in the K-hole).

2) I'm not touching this thread with a 50m pole! I stated my opinion, and I'm not going to get in a bickering match with everyone who feels like insulting me and trying to present themselves as wonderful objective people who are completely uncapable of making passive judgement. We all do it, and we all have better things to do with our time than argue over it and be hypocrites. I'm pretty sure that is what 13 year old kids do after school. (Oh no! I just made a mildly condescending remark! Insult my character! :lol: )(Relax I'm kidding. I was once one of those kids, trust me I know what online arguing is all about)

But

3) I've come to realize that if you think that you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you are not a snob in the least bit, or that you have never been one, you're lying to yourself. Just think about it the next time you're staring at a bottle/can/pint of Molson Canadian that someone else is drinking. Also, trust me, live on a floor of 60 people for a year who constantly question what you drink, and you'll develope a sense of superiority of knowledge. It's unavoidable, and yes, I always did my best to explain my beers to them in as friendly and open a manner as possible. They make a better audience than a group of middle-aged Kitchnerites who automatically think they know more than you about beer because they're twice your age.

And finally,

4) Really? NO ONE thinks the majority of the Red Wings line up should retire now? Seriously? Chris Chelios is like 43! Come on! :P

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

P.S. You might be surpised if you ever meet me by my "live and let live" attitude towards everything. But despite that, evidentally I'm not incapable of complaining about things others do, just like everyone else.

P.P.S. I will come right out and admit that I am a snob when it comes to beer. I think what I drink is better than what most other people drink. I don't think I as a person am better, but that small part of me is, and it gets offended by ignorant people who have a faux sense of authority on the matter. I will also admit that I myself am a moron when it comes to some things that I don't know much about, but I never make a point to insult someone or something just because I don't understand it. Case closed, I'm done here.