Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days - Oct 17-19

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

Volo Cask Days - Oct 17-19

Post by TwoPint »

Posted on Volo's site (www.barvolo.com) on the 17th:

"Toronto's forth annual cask conditioned beer event. October 18-20. Details tba on caskdays.com"

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Three days? Sweet.

(Although the 20th is a Monday. Weird.)

-Josh

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

detritus wrote:(Although the 20th is a Monday. Weird.)
In past years, they've sold off the leftovers as cheap pints on the Monday, so perhaps that's what it's referring to.

Either that or it's starting on the Friday night this year and someone just got the dates wrong.

Lord God King Bu Fu

Post by Lord God King Bu Fu »

I'm finding the silence on ticket sales unnerving.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Lord God King Bu Fu wrote:I'm finding the silence on ticket sales unnerving.
IIRC, last year the tickets went on sale the same weekend as Word On The Street, which is later in September.

I'll be at Volo tonight, so I'll see if I can find out what's up.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

The official site (http://caskdays.com/) has just changed. Nice list of participants.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Where's Biergotter?? :o

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

There's a few new additions there, sadly some of which I'm not expecting much from. Barley Days have yet to distance themselves from their Glenora past incarnation and, despite seemingly to have conquered the infection issues, the beers they offer are reasonably bland. Can't imagine a cask version of "wind and sail" is going to fare much better. But I hope they rise to the occasion and blow my mind.

Since Ralph in moving his brew-pub plans forward with the aid of the Biergotter lads I'd be surprised if they weren't involved. More likely they will be amongst the "charity" beer offerings since they are not officially licensed to supply kegs for retail sale. That would explain why they aren't on that list.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Sure hope that's the set-up again this year re Biergotter... Curious to hear how those brewpub plans are going.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Tickets are supposed to go on sale during the last week of September according to Ralph.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I loved Cask Days, but I really hope that Volo chooses a better system for ticket sales this year. I did not enjoy waiting in line for an hour as they meticulously wrote down everyone's contact information.

Just take cash only (same as last year), limit sales to 4 per person, don't write anything down and keep the line moving as quickly as possible, pretty please!

(I know, I know... beggars can't be choosers...)

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

sstackho wrote:I loved Cask Days, but I really hope that Volo chooses a better system for ticket sales this year. I did not enjoy waiting in line for an hour as they meticulously wrote down everyone's contact information.

Just take cash only (same as last year), limit sales to 4 per person, don't write anything down and keep the line moving as quickly as possible, pretty please!

(I know, I know... beggars can't be choosers...)
I've never been mostly because I can never get tickets fast enough. How's about a little elbow room for the newbies that never get a shot at tckets?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Pub Style wrote:Tickets are supposed to go on sale during the last week of September according to Ralph.
#@*% it, I'm on vacation that week! I can walk to Volo in 30 minutes from my house, yet I never end up going to their cask days. Last year's line winding down the street was insane. For you lucky folks who are planning on getting tickets, go earlier than you think you'll need to.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I fly back in on the 20th at 2:30 - I wonder if I can convince the Fiancee that a sampling of Cask Beer is the best way to finish up our honeymoon?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:I fly back in on the 20th at 2:30 - I wonder if I can convince the Fiancee that a sampling of Cask Beer is the best way to finish up our honeymoon?
I think the Oct 18-20 dates listed on the website are incorrect. According the buzz I've heard, Ralph is planning to have sessions on Fri-Sun this year, which would make the dates Oct 17-19.

Unless those plans have changed, of course. In which case, never mind.