Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

C'est What? Festival of Small Breweries - Oct 3

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

velovampire wrote:
shintriad wrote: the event has become too popular for the space in which it is held...
My thoughts exactly. After seeing the lineup to get in I grabbed some DFH at the LCBO and drove home.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

sprague11 wrote:
velovampire wrote:the event has become too popular for the space in which it is held...
My thoughts exactly. After seeing the lineup to get in I grabbed some DFH at the LCBO and drove home.
Maybe they need to make it a ticketed event?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I got in just before the nutty lineup. It wasn't too bad if you were in the bar on the left. I didn't find the wait for beers too long.

Highlight for me was the cask Iron Duke with the two Oktoberfest brews a close second and third.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Yeah, it was crowded. And I had a great time.

The unanimous favourite at our table was the Neustadt Elderbrah.

With regards to the pint question raised earlier, one of the staff assured me that I could get a half-pint if I ponied up the equivalent number of tickets. The same may or may not have been true for a full pint.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I got there around 9 pm and it was still crowded. The staff themselves were amazed that it was so busy and George told me they served over 5000 samples.
I got the last taste of the Granite's Hopping Mad (excellent, wanted a pint of it) and stuck to the Iron Duke after that. Mmmm.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The busy-ness of last night reminded me of the "old days" when it was always totally rammed for the beer festival (fall, not so much spring).

The crowds didn't bother me so much (kept my drinking intake metered in between samples) and was happy to see the high level of interest for the event.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Jon Walker wrote: BTW, Cass, I just passed 1000 posts...do I get a free Bartowel bottle opener or something?
Next beerfest I'll have one for you Jon :-)

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

I really liked the Hopping Mad and the Iron Duke. The Corporal Punishment was good too. I am looking forward to the bottled version.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Malcolm wrote:I got the last taste of the Granite's Hopping Mad (excellent, wanted a pint of it) and stuck to the Iron Duke after that. Mmmm.
I also thought the Hopping Mad was excellent (anyone know if Granite intends to make this a new permanent offering in their lineup?), and the Iron Duke on cask was a revelation. I haven't had this one for a couple of years, and even then it was from a near-past due bottle from TBS. Anyway, a wonderful beer, and one I need to seek out (fresh) more often.

Other highlights for me were Mill Street's Oktoberfest (I've got to get over to the brewpub to have a few proper pints of this), Grand River Highballer Pumpkin cask, Corporal Punishment (looking forward to the bottles now), and the King Unfiltered Hopped-up Pilsner.

I did enjoy the Sahti Juniper sample, but don't think I could get through a full pint. Black Oak's Wasabi Brown was good, but I didn't get much (if any) Wasabi - in fact, if it didn't say wasabi, I would have had no idea.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Anything left from Friday, or have the taps run dry?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Did anyone else find the Hopping Mad very similar to Granite's other brews? It reminded me very much of one of them, but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps the Old Peculiar, or the Best Bitter. Similar hop/malt character.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

jaymack wrote:Anything left from Friday, or have the taps run dry?
Dry. We ended up there again during Nuit Blanche and all the specialty beers were gone.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Dang! Thanks for the update.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cass wrote: Dry. We ended up there again during Nuit Blanche and all the specialty beers were gone.
Well, mostly. I was there last night and the Ironspike, Neustadt and Wasabi were still on. Iron Duke will be back soon as C'est What got 4 kegs and they were prepping one last night.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »