Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Grand Opening Ever

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Best Grand Opening Ever

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

I just want to thank everybody from the Bartowel for turning out last Saturday night and making our Grand Opening a big success.
It was great to see everyone.
When you consider we've been around for almost 10 years and never had a grand opening yet, it was about time.

I would have posted my thanks sooner but it did take a very long time to clean everything up and get back to making beer.

People really enjoyed the special Whiskey barrel casks we knocked off. The Whiskey Double Chocolate Cherry Stout went very fast and the Whiskey Nut Brown Ale came in a close second. Of course everybody enjoyed our Hop Bomb Cask (with extra extra extra hops). Our draft beer was enjoyed by all.

Everybody really enjoyed themselves and said great things about our new space. Its still a work in process, but is a lot more functional than our old one.

We kept the speeches short and let people enjoy themselves.

I also have to thank Nancy from Local 4, for doing such a good job with the food. We also had some extra help from friends to man the BBQ's.

The music (selected by Alison) was just right not too loud but added that additional element that made the night a success. I'm really surprised the mimes went over as well as they did.

Everybody got home safe and the designated drivers were treated well. People used the cabs we called.

I'm looking forward to the next event we will be hosting in Etobicoke.
Thanks everybody for making it a success.

Cheers
Ken

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

This is an April Fool's joke... right?

I love BO and didn't read a word about this

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

better be

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

What was it that Admiral Ackbar said when he realised that the death star was operational and the recently warped rebel fleet was at its mercy?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Ken, you had me going until this bit...
Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:I'm really surprised the mimes went over as well as they did.
Well done! :wink:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobsy wrote:What was it that Admiral Ackbar said when he realised that the death star was operational and the recently warped rebel fleet was at its mercy?
"Your tongues can't repel flavour of that magnitude?"

Nice job Ken! Until I read the mimes part I was thinking "Oh well, at least I didn't miss any Nutcracker..." :P
lister

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

What was it that Admiral Ackbar said when he realised that the death star was operational and the recently warped rebel fleet was at its mercy?
Was someone watching Big Bang Theory Monday night?? Either way, a classic line from the Mon Calamari rebel fleet commander..nice.

And well played Ken..
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

scottdb

Post by scottdb »

lol.. I made my 1st visit to Black Oak on Saturday, unfortunately there was no party. Ken showed me around though & I got some Double Chocolate Cherry Stout, so I can't complain.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Ken, when you do have an event I think we would all enjoy it even more if there are mimes present. Its a sadly under-appreciated art form, and its lack of popularity combined with lower birthrates in France, has led to a decline in revenue for the beret, red neckchief and black and white striped jersey industries.

Ah, the joys of being trapped inside an invisible box.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

A friend who works at the OCB has informed me that the REAL Black Oak Grand Opening party will be on Sat Apr 18th.

Hope Ken has got the mimes booked... :wink:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:Hope Ken has got the mimes booked... :wink:
Yeah really, I mean now that I *expect* mimes... well there better be some!!!! Perhaps balloon animals?

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Is Ken laughing with us or at us? :wink:

Good luck with your new facility Ken and your grand opening; as Sammy would say it better be on the 18th. :D

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

tupalev wrote:Is Ken laughing with us or at us?
I would say at, and with good reason. I bit hook line and sinker.

Now back to wiping up the drool on my keyboard at the thought of Whiskey Barrel Chocolate Cherry Stout.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Geez, I only just realized this was a joke. Such a fool I am!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Hey, I was there and the event was just as great as you might imagine.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.