Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Project X - 2nd Thurs of each month

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

A heck of an event tonight!

The Great Lakes casks were top-notch, as they usually are at their events. I thought they were both even better than previous batches. That bitter wife was really bitter (not the server, she was quite nice).

The Muskoka dry-hopped cream ale was alright, but not really my style. I would've loved to see their Pils on cask, or even their hefe fresh.

F&M's strawberry blonde was a nice unfiltered, light lager with a hint of berry. The lager character & hopping shined. I'd love to try their Pils on cask...

The monkey monster was amazing on cask. I think the bottle is one of the closest things to a west coast IPA we've seen from Ontario... but the cask really was phenominal.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

the smashbomb cask cask was a very good cask, and amajor improvement over the cest what. A good range of bitter beers
and good sports of Great lakes to have these other brewers in

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Really enjoyed my first time at the GLB event! My faves were the two casks from Great Lakes. It was fun to meet people and share impressions of what was on offer.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

A great event! I hope to get to more of these. I really enjoyed Lackey's Caskey and both the cask and bottled versions of Smashbomb IPA. I am really looking forward to being able to grab a first rate IPA when this ne hits the store shelves. It was nice to get a chance to meet some beer lovers and enjoy the nice weather, good company and great beer!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Derek wrote:F&M's strawberry blonde was a nice unfiltered, light lager with a hint of berry.
I guess you missed the end of it, when it was mostly just strawberries left in the cask, and it was pouring bright pink with a very strong strawberry flavour. Quite different from the earlier pours, but both were good in their way.

Kudos to the Great Lakes crew for throwing an awesome event, and to Muskoka, Flying Monkeys & F&M for bringing the goods. It was my first Project X, and definitely won't be my last, especially now that I know how easy it is to get there by TTC... :oops:

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Had a great time last night as well, Project X never fails to deliver. The Smashbomb (yummmm) and Bitter Wife were the highlights of the night for me. I also picked up half a dozen bottles of the Miami Weiss. Great work, Great Lakes. I'll be back again next time, for sure.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Yeah, those guys are good. It's always a good time and probably the best value for money entertainment in the city.
saintjohnswort.ca

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just polished off one of the bottles of Miami Wiesse that I picked up last night, and pardon mon Français, but that is one fucking fantastic beer! Packed with flavour, oodles of hops, and only 4.5%? Hell yeah!

I understand that there were plans to get into into the LCBO in cans, but that it might not happen - I really, REALLY hope that whatever the problems are get worked out and it makes it into the stores, as I could drink a sea of this stuff over the summer if given the chance.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:It was my first Project X, and definitely won't be my last, especially now that I know how easy it is to get there by TTC... :oops:
Honestly I checked the route planner a couple times and wasn't sure if a bus ran back to Royal York later at night...

But yeah, I'm "TTC tolerant" so I'll bring my poor liver to a future X!
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:Just polished off one of the bottles of Miami Wiesse that I picked up last night, and pardon mon Français, but that is one fucking fantastic beer! Packed with flavour, oodles of hops, and only 4.5%? Hell yeah!

I understand that there were plans to get into into the LCBO in cans, but that it might not happen - I really, REALLY hope that whatever the problems are get worked out and it makes it into the stores, as I could drink a sea of this stuff over the summer if given the chance.
YES YES YES. Didn't know there was a potential can plan for this one, but that would be amazing if it worked out. I've got 5 of 6 bottles left (had one last night on my balcony with BBQ) and I'm already wishing I got more. Can it, GLB!!!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote: It was my first Project X, and definitely won't be my last, especially now that I know how easy it is to get there by TTC... :oops:
If only someone had told you earlier... :wink:

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Info about tonight's Project X:

Reminder that this month's Project X is tonight, July 8th from 6:30-9:00 at the brewery. It'll be a kick off to CASKapalooza with the team from Toronto's Festival of Beer. On tap will be "Crystal's Method Wheat Ale" and "Harbord Saison" casks.

After the huge success of last month's Project X, we'll be holding it outdoors again this month, and we'll have the BBQ all fired up for some tasty burgers and more.

Admission is $10 and covers your food and first 4 beer samples.

Come on down on the GO Train (Mimico station), or take the TTC, we're only a quick walk from both stops.

Go to http://www.beerfestival.ca/ for more info on TFOB!

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Went to a toronto project x tonight for the first time. The 2 casks tonight were pretty tastey. The saison was my fav. It was 6% abv and was made with loads of honey i was told. Had a very nice fruity flavor which turned to a honey sweetnes. The end flavor was a little boozey but with a little more age i think this could be an excellent saison. The crystals method was also good. It had a hop combo with ekg and sazz hops. Great time was had, and I look forward to attending future ones.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

The saison and burger were both awesome and the wheat very good too. I would love some bottles of the saison for the backyard.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer for Cask Days PX this week. Other breweries are supposed to be involved as well.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole