Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Project X - 2nd Thurs of each month

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JB

Great Lakes Project X - 2nd Thurs of each month

Post by JB »

It's back! Well, sort of...

We're stoked to announce the launch of Project X, a monthly event where we'll tap a feature cask only available for the evening. The first event is Thursday, July 9, from 6:30 - 9:00.

Here's the scoop: You'll need to become a member ($10 one time fee, which gets you an exclusive t-shirt and membership card), and entry to each night is only $10. That gets you a sample of the cask, 2 drink tickets, and a sampling of tasty beer-themed food.

We've got some grand plans for this event as it grows, including but not limited to brewing future batches at the event, limited bottling runs and so forth. The idea is to have some fun and get some great feedback. GLB staff will be on hand to show you around and talk about the world of beer.

Email us at info@greatlakesbeer.com to sign up or show up on the night of.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

hmm..25 minute drive with no traffic. First cask...hoppy or fruity?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Are any BT's heading out to Great Lakes tonight?

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Nope, Sammy scared me away with his traffic report above :)

Have a fun night to whoever goes!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

northyorksammy wrote:hmm..25 minute drive with no traffic. First cask...hoppy or fruity?
Its going to be a fruity and hoppy beer that you must drink while waiting in traffic.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mabel

Post by mabel »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:hmm..25 minute drive with no traffic. First cask...hoppy or fruity?
Its going to be a fruity and hoppy beer that you must drink while waiting in traffic.
Now would that exempt transit users or include them...? Hm. Looking forward to it anyway. :P

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

--a sure-fire way to get arrested. No open beer in cars anywhere in the civilized world, gentlemen. Also no closed beer travelling through Utah, from what I hear.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Pub Style wrote:Are any BT's heading out to Great Lakes tonight?
I was supposed to be but got held up with work. How was it?

Sil

Post by Sil »

JerCraigs wrote:
I was supposed to be but got held up with work. How was it?
Had a great time and the IPA was outstanding. The Raspberry/Rhubarb was interesting but not something I'd foresee drinking regularly.

Very much looking forward to next month.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

JerCraigs wrote:I was supposed to be but got held up with work. How was it?
It was a great event with a very good turnout (had a nice chat with your lovely fiancée).

They tapped two casks: Silly Pucker Raspberry Rhubarb and Superior III

The RR was all rhubarb in the finish and it wasn't bad. I don't think I've ever heard of, or tasted a rhubarb beer before?? The Superior III was the best one they've produced to date. Tons of hop, a little green, but overall very well done. The food was excellent as well.

And George Eagleson showed up...need I say more. I haven't met anyone who has more enthusiasm and passion for beer then George.

I hope to get something up on the blog shortly.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Pub Style wrote:The RR was all rhubarb in the finish and it wasn't bad. I don't think I've ever heard of, or tasted a rhubarb beer before??
Cantillon made a limited edition rhubarb lambic which they have a few bottles of at beerbistro. It's expensive ($25 for a 375 ml bottle), but I splurged on it recently, and had no regrets:

http://beerbeatsbites.wordpress.com/200 ... -too-much/

Would've loved to try the Great Lakes one! Hopefully, I'll be able to make it out to a Project X night soon (although I've been saying the same thing about the Cameron's cask nights since they started, and still haven't made it out to one yet... sheesh.)

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Pub Style wrote:And George Eagleson showed up...need I say more. I haven't met anyone who has more enthusiasm and passion for beer then George.
And we all know there is a fine line between passion and insanity...or...is that genius...oh well, whatever - tomato, tomato. :wink:

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

This on for tomorrow night?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

icemachine wrote:This on for tomorrow night?
I've heard nothing suggesting otherwise and its still up on the blog (http://greatlakesbrewery.blogspot.com), so myself and my missus will be there at 6:30. The weather's loking good so it should be a great evening.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

icemachine wrote:This on for tomorrow night?
Still on, and a very unique beer is ready for consumption.