Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days 2009 Oct 26th-Nov 1st

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well I'm gutted that this will be the first Cask Days yet that I cannot attend. Barring a miracle I will have to live vicariously through all the reports posted here. Hope it's a great one, certainly seems like a fantastic lineup.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

This is the first one I am going to miss as well (I know the deer hunting calendar is not tops in Toronto for scheduling purposes!) - I hope it goes really well for Ralph and the crew at Volo and for all of the regulars here who are attending. I'll see if there is any leftover when I get back!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

tupalev wrote:This is the first one I am going to miss as well (I know the deer hunting calendar is not tops in Toronto for scheduling purposes!) - I hope it goes really well for Ralph and the crew at Volo and for all of the regulars here who are attending. I'll see if there is any leftover when I get back!
Deer hunter and beer hunter. :D

Radek

Post by Radek »

F&M Porter - new beer ? listed with 6 % and 26 IBU....

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Radek wrote:F&M Porter - new beer ? listed with 6 % and 26 IBU....
New beer. I believe its F&M Stonehammer Porter

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

viggo wrote:
Yup - that's what it says on the menu.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Bobsy wrote:
viggo wrote:

I'm really looking forward to this one.
after having the Dark Ale on cask at the Victory in the late summer... I think this will be a beauty.
George does brilliant work. If it doesn't sound exciting, your taste buds will be having a party!

can't wait for this event.
enjoi

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

bartle wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
viggo wrote: New beer. I believe its F&M Stonehammer Porter

after having the Dark Ale on cask at the Victory in the late summer... I think this will be a beauty.
George does brilliant work. If it doesn't sound exciting, your taste buds will be having a party!

Um, i hate to burst your hopes, but the F&M Stonehammer Porter was on for the pre-Cask days week and the firkin kicked Tuesday night when i was at Volo. I was actually going to go for it and it had just kicked.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Duct Tape wrote:
bartle wrote:
Bobsy wrote: Yup - that's what it says on the menu.

Um, i hate to burst your hopes, but the F&M Stonehammer Porter was on for the pre-Cask days week and the firkin kicked Tuesday night when i was at Volo. I was actually going to go for it and it had just kicked.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SteelbackGuy on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Duct Tape wrote:Um, i hate to burst your hopes, but the F&M Stonehammer Porter was on for the pre-Cask days week and the firkin kicked Tuesday night when i was at Volo. I was actually going to go for it and it had just kicked.
I manically cackled as I drank one of the last halfs on Tuesday night:
Cask porter brewed for Volo's Traditional English Ales event. Standard appearance of a very dark brown (almost black) body, topped by a bubbly tan head, which soon fades to a wispy cap. No lacing, though the cap is maintained for much of the beer. Good roasted aroma, with coffee being particularly prominent. There's a lot of balance going on, and while little else stands out beyond the roasted notes you'd expect, it does strike me as well-crafted. On to the flavour...

Even though the cask was only tapped a night prior, I'm already picking up some slight oxidisation in the flavour. Nothing too bad - just a slightly distracting hint of cardboard and plastic which crops up every now and then. Thankfully, there's a pretty decent beer beyond this, although it does feel more like an English stout than porter. Decent roast notes make their presence felt throughout.Cocoa and caramel mix with fruit to create a lightly sweet balance. Medium to light mouthfeel with restrained cask carbonation. A slightly fuller mouthfeel would have helped beef up the flavours slightly.

This is a decent, though unremarkable, stout / porter hybrid. I enjoyed my beer, but there's not really enough action going on to tempt me back for another. I far preferred the oatmeal coffee stout they offered up at the start of this year, but its nice to get a cask porter, so I can't complain.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I have 2 extra tickets for session 3b and 2 extras for session 4 is anyone needs some. Buddy of mine bailed out due to work.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Duct Tape wrote: Um, i hate to burst your hopes, but the F&M Stonehammer Porter was on for the pre-Cask days week and the firkin kicked Tuesday night when i was at Volo. I was actually going to go for it and it had just kicked.

Rumour has it that we might see it again post Cask Days? Hope so as I also missed out on it and it seems to be getting positive reviews.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So what session is everyone going to? I'll be pouring at both of Friday's and drinking at the brewer's breakfast. Anyone who wants to say hello, just use my profile pic as a reference.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Bobsy wrote:Anyone who wants to say hello, just use my profile pic as a reference.
karen, is that you? i really liked you in talladega nights.

i'll be at sessions 2, 3b, and 4.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I'll be at every session. Someone take my extra tickets!