Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop City Launch Party

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

viggo
Bar Fly

Hop City Launch Party

Post by viggo »

FYI, received this from Deanna at Hop City.

"Very last minute, but our official Hop City launch event is on Thursday November 19th at the Berkeley Chruch (315 Queen St E) at 7:00pm-1:30am.

Live band, DJ, hors d'oeuvres, and unlimited Barking Squirrel.

Please let me know if you and some friends are interested in attending.

Please RSVP to info@hopcity.com. "

Just in case anyone is interested. The beer is definitely not bad at all.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks Eric.

I won't be able to attend, but I do look forward to being able to try this brew.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I RSVP'd - hopefully they got my email!

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I tried this today at a pub in Russell (near Ottawa). The pub seems to have a lot of Moosehead ads on the walls, so that explains why they have Hop City (i.e. if you don't know, Hop City is owned by Moosehead).

Anyway, I had two of pints of the Barking Squirrel with lunch, and all I can say is they are probably the last two I'll ever have. Nothing special here. A mediocre beer (at best). Not worth going out of your way for, and not worth choosing over most other/real craft beers.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i like to tell people it's actually called burning squirrel. much more interesting :D

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

grub wrote:i like to tell people it's actually called burning squirrel. much more interesting :D
But that would infer the beer actually had some flavour ;-)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I heard back, so I'll be there. Just look for the Cougar with the Moosehead in its mouth. Er... I mean Hop City.

Seriously though, this should be a nice night out, and I'm keeping an open mind about the beer until I try it.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Bobsy wrote:I heard back, so I'll be there. Just look for the Cougar with the Moosehead in its mouth. Er... I mean Hop City.
Your wife is much too young to be a cougar, but I'll still look for her.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Torontoblue wrote:
grub wrote:i like to tell people it's actually called burning squirrel. much more interesting :D
But that would infer the beer actually had some flavour ;-)
The squirrels are ripe this time of year.
enjoi