Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nick Pashley "Cheers!" book events - Nov 24+29

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Nick Pashley "Cheers!" book events - Nov 24+29

Post by GregClow »

There are two events coming up to mark the release of "Cheers!: An Intemperate History of Beer in Canada", the new book by Nick Pashley:

Tues Nov 24th, 6:30 PM
Granite Brewery, 245 Eglinton Ave. E.

The official book launch event presented by Harper Collins. A "meet & greet" with some snacks & the opportunity to raise a pint with Nick.

Sun Nov 29th, 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Volo, 587 Yonge St.

Nicks local favorites will be on draught/cask alongside bottled beers from across Canada (Driftwood, Phillips, Alleykat, Charlevoix, Half Pints, Dieu Du Ciel!, Propeller).
Last edited by GregClow on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I thought the event at The Granite was "invite" only? Has that changed now, Greg?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Torontoblue wrote:I thought the event at The Granite was "invite" only? Has that changed now, Greg?
It is invite only as far as I know.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Pub Style wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:I thought the event at The Granite was "invite" only? Has that changed now, Greg?
It is invite only as far as I know.
I asked the Harper Collins PR rep before posting. She replied:

"Sure, please post the announcement. It is, in a way, invite only, but I expect only the people who know Nick/are fans of Nick would go, and they'd be welcome. There's no "guest list" so it should be great."

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

GregClow wrote:I asked the Harper Collins PR rep before posting. She replied:

"Sure, please post the announcement. It is, in a way, invite only, but I expect only the people who know Nick/are fans of Nick would go, and they'd be welcome. There's no "guest list" so it should be great."
Good stuff. Should be a great turnout then.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

GregClow wrote: Sun Nov 29th, 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Volo, 587 Yonge St.

Nicks local favorites will be on draught/cask alongside bottled beers from across Canada (Driftwood, Phillips, Alleykat, Charlevoix, Half Pints, Dieu Du Ciel!, Propeller).

KAAAHHHHNN!!!! Another event on Grey Cup Sunday?? I am already double booked with a Birthday Party for a 1 year old in Brantford and a Grey Cup Party (triple booked if you count my camera club social that i have already blown off for the other events)!!!

Blah, i shall have to see if i can sneak my way up to the Granite next Tuesday.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Duct Tape wrote:KAAAHHHHNN!!!!
What's Madeline Kahn got to do with it? Call me a stickler but the correct spelling is "KHAAAAAAAAN!!!!".

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

The original concept was that the 24th would be more or less a traditional book trade launch -- friends, media etc. -- and the 29th would be rather like the event last December at Volo, for the beer folk, though perhaps without the shakes from the previous day's exertions in Buffalo. Still, if my publicist is opening the Granite event as well, then bring it on. I hope there will still be a good turnout at Volo on the 29th, if only to drink the wonderful beers Ralph and Tomas have arranged for the day. I hope to see some of you on one or other of the occcasions, or even both for the insatiable. (Or unspeakable.) For your convenience at this pre-Yuletide season, books will be available at both events. Here endeth the crass commercial message.

Nick

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm hoping to swing by Volo on the 29th. Nick's an excellent guy, and a laugh-out-loud writer (I mean that in a good way).

tsm87

Post by tsm87 »

IT’S ALL ABOUT ME! : An Afternoon with Nick Pashley
Sunday, November 29th 12:00-10:00pm

Join BarVolo this Sunday, November 29th between 12:00-10:00pm to Promote Nick Pashley's new book Cheers! An Intemperate History of Beer in Canada. Nick will be speaking about his book at 2:30pm. Nick is a great lover of craft beer and we encourage everyone to come out and listen to his fine words. Following the Canadian Beer theme, Volo will be launching several new bottle beers from across Canada that will be available from; Phillips, Alley Kat, Driftwood, Charlevoix, Trois Mousquetaires and Dieu Du Ciel! We will be extending our hours on Sunday for the Grey Cup which will be on t.v at the bar. Also the following beers will be available on Tap and Cask. Cheers!

Tap
Beau’s/Beershack Tommy Gun Pale Ale
Black Oak Oaktoberfest
Church Key Red Ale
Denison’s Weissbier
Duggan’s Festbier
F&M Stonehammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Flying Monkey Netherworld Porter
Great Lakes Winter Ale
Great Lakes Miami Weiss
Mill St. Roggenbier
Niagara’s Best Spiced Apple Cider
Railway City Pullman Porter

Cask
Durham Hophead IPA
Black Oak Anniversary Ale: Ten Bitter Years

**Beers are subject to change.

www.barvolo.com

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

TwoPint wrote:
Duct Tape wrote:KAAAHHHHNN!!!!
What's Madeline Kahn got to do with it? Call me a stickler but the correct spelling is "KHAAAAAAAAN!!!!".
The Wrath of Khan?

Seriously... where does that come from?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Derek wrote: The Wrath of Khan?
Seriously... where does that come from?
Derek, I'm going to need you to forfeit your geek card... :wink:

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Nobody talks about the Wrath of Ken

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:Nobody talks about the Wrath of Ken
I think you now have the name for the 11th Anniversary beer.

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Belated thanks to everyone who turned up at either of these events, and thanks too to Ron Keefe at Granite and Ralph and Tomas at Volo for all their labours. I had a very good time at both and drank probably more very good beer than I should have. I'm just counting the days until Wrath of Ken turns up in our finest pubs.
Nick