Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

ARE WE WORTHY? Sun Feb 7 @ Volo

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Damn, I'm going to be in California for this. Guess I'll just have to content myself with a night at the World Bistro during the Stone Winter Storm.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take back all those nice things I said about you. :wink:

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

You don't know the half of it, Jon. I'll be hitting Stone after four days of San Francisco Beer Week, including The Bistro's Double IPA Fest.

Ah, the sacrifices I make for my work! :wink:

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Steve - do you need an understudy?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Superbowl Sunday? Awww crap.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

icemachine wrote:Superbowl Sunday? Awww crap.
game doesn't start until 6:20. that's enough time for a few bottles, before the game, no?

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

icemachine wrote:Superbowl Sunday? Awww crap.
And for others, this is their Superbowl :lol:

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Whyyyyyyyyy did this have to be on a Super Bowl Sunday?!

KHAAAAAAAAAN!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

My sadness at missing this event has been greatly mitigated by the arrival today at one of my local private stores of this Stone lineup;

Oaked Arrogant Bastard
2009 Old Guardian
080808 Vertical Epic
Smoked Porter
Imperial Russian Stout
Self Righteous
Pale Ale
IPA
Ruination
Levitation
Double Bastard

While I will miss the company and atmosphere of the one day Volo event I will find solace in the numerous cases available nearby at very reasonable prices. Now it's my credit card that is feeling remorse.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

So... how's this getting into Canada? Sadly, I'll be nowhere near Toronto at that time (and me, down to my final bottle of Oak Aged Bastard)

Do you Roland and Russell will be able to put in a Group Buy order?

Me want!!!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think was strictly a private order by Ralph. He (and other bars) have done this numerous times before - like Cantillon at beerbistro.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Zithal wrote:Me want!!!
You could always try:

http://www.lcbo.com/programs_services/p ... ring.shtml

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, if they've done it as a private order (and if BC did the same), then it at least shows they're willing to deal with canada. if nothing more, we could probably get a group buy together like years back with GD and HOTD.

but i suspect that if this goes over well, we may see HMH trying to bring this in...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Don't bother. I talked to both the BC importer and the co-owner of Stone at a recent event here. The shipment to Volo and to Vancouver was a one off deal. Greg Koch was willing to help promote an event here and, since some Stone beer was going to be available for that event, he allowed a skid's worth to get shipped up. I'm not entirely sure how Ralph and his company got the Toronto allotment, though I know they have been trying to cajole Stone to ship to them for several years. They are a cantankerous bunch at Stone and, with easier markets in the U.S. yet to be serviced, the plan is to look at more regular shipments to Canada in 2011...assuming the LCBO doesn't antagonize them in which case they won't bother (apparently the BC Liquor Corp is far less adversarial with U.S. brewers).

That's from the horse's mouth...I doubt the LCBO/ an importer would get a different response. BUT...if Ralph has pulled something off with Stone that contradicts this I'd love to hear about it.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Jon Walker wrote:Don't bother. I talked to both the BC importer and the co-owner of Stone at a recent event here. The shipment to Volo and to Vancouver was a one off deal.
It appears that the Bièropholie order will be delivered to some place in New York state and then Bièropholie takes over the transportation to the SAQ.

From the Bièropholie order form:
DES FRAIS DE TRANSPORT DE 6$ À 12$ LA CAISSE PEUVENT S'AJOUTER AU PRIX FINAL

DE VOTRE COMMANDE! LA SAQ NE SE REND PAS DANS L'ÉTAT DE NEW-YORK ET LE CLUB DOIT ENGAGER UN TRANSPORTEUR!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yeah, that's one way to do it. New York is already a market Stone ships to so I'm guessing the Quebec order is going to the local importers warehouse stateside. To then ship it over the border, pay all the freight, duty, tax, without it being part of a larger freight shipment would be prohibitively expensive...and unsustainable on a longer term basis.