Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Sunday - February 14th, 2010

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tsm87

Black Sunday - February 14th, 2010

Post by tsm87 »

barVolo Cask Days Presents
Black Sunday
Valentine’s Day – February 14th 2010, 12:00pm – 8:00pm

Mild’s – Brown – Smoked
Grand River Mill Race Mild
Hockley Valley Chocolate Dip Strawberry Ale
Church-Key Holy Smoke

Porters
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter
Duggan’s #8 London Porter
Scotch Irish Black-Plain Porter
Cheshire Valley Robust Porter

Stouts
Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry Stout
Durham’s Blak Kat Stout
F&M Stone Hammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Hockley Valley Hole Mole Stout
Cheshire Valley Dry Stout
Great Lakes Morning Glory Breakfast Stout

Imperial Stouts
Mill St. Chocolate Imperial Stout*
Wellington Russian Imperial Stout*

All beers will be sold by the Pint (500mL) $6.50
And the Half Pint (300mL) $4.50

*Beers that will be served by the ½ Pint Only (300mL)

One beer from each category will be tapped at a time. Starting with; Hockley Valley Chocolate Dip Strawberry Stout, Duggans #8, Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry Stout, Great Lakes Morning Glory Stout, Mill St. Chocolate Imperial Stout.

Chocolate board tastings from Chocosol will also be available
Last edited by tsm87 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Sounds exciting! Will the kitchen be open or will other non-chocolate boards be available?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Jer's extremely lucky that his wife would probably go for this on Valentine's Day!

Should've been March 14th as an alternative holiday. :wink:

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Valentine's Day? Seriously? That is just evil. :evil:
Too many beers, too little time...

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Derek wrote:Jer's extremely lucky that his wife would probably go for this on Valentine's Day!
A more interesting experiment might have been to let her find out about it on her own and see how long it took for her to suggest we go... Hmmm. :)

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Morning glory mentioned as being served, but not in the lineup. Am I the only one noticing this? not that it matters that much

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've enjoyed the Morning Glory. Especially their last cask, though I'd call that revision a Mocha Java Stout. :D

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

northyorksammy wrote:Morning glory mentioned as being served, but not in the lineup. Am I the only one noticing this? not that it matters that much
Maybe they meant the Stonehammer Oatmeal Coffee instead? Similar stouts, so easy enough to confuse?

I think myself and the good lady will pop in for a pint at some point (hopefully in time with the nutcracker tapping!).

bartle

Post by bartle »

I'm really excited for the Cheshire Valley.
enjoi

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

looks like we're planning to drop in for a bit in the afternoon. some tasty brews on that list. should be fun!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Stopped in with Mabel on Sunday and enjoyed a cheese board and a few beers inlcuding the Mill St. IS, Hole Mole, Black Eye and Cheshire.

The Cheshire was listed as a Porter, and tasted a touch more acidic than I remember the stout being? The Hole Mole was interesting but not to my tastes. The Black Eye was pretty nice, roastier than last time in my opinion but pleasantly bitter throughout.

Hoping to possibly stop by after work today to. We shall see!

Publican

Post by Publican »

JerCraigs wrote:Stopped in with Mabel on Sunday and enjoyed a cheese board and a few beers inlcuding the Mill St. IS, Hole Mole, Black Eye and Cheshire.

The Cheshire was listed as a Porter, and tasted a touch more acidic than I remember the stout being? The Hole Mole was interesting but not to my tastes. The Black Eye was pretty nice, roastier than last time in my opinion but pleasantly bitter throughout.

Hoping to possibly stop by after work today to. We shall see!
Jeremy, Hope you get a day in lew of this day as that is the law when it comes to stat. holidays

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Publican wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Hoping to possibly stop by after work today to. We shall see!
Jeremy, Hope you get a day in lew of this day as that is the law when it comes to stat. holidays
Not if you work for the federal government, as Jeremy does. It's a provincial holiday that doesn't apply to federal workers. Same reason that we have mail delivery today, unlike every other stat holiday.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Was at Volo tonight for the aftermath. Most of the beers were available from Sunday. The Cheshire Porter got finished off (I had the last half pint) and the breakfast stout was gone...but otherwise the beers I had tasted pretty great.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

wilco

Post by wilco »

I was disappointed by the beers I tried. The Hockley Hole Mole was just chocolate and nothing else. The Mill Street Chocolate Imperial Stout reeked of vomit. Makes diacetyl seem great.