Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge 2010

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tsm87

2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge 2010

Post by tsm87 »

In 2009 barVolo hosted the first Ontario Cask IPA Challenge placing eighteen Ontario India Pale Ales/Pale ales heads up against each other in a single elimination bracket tournament. The final four beers last year were; Granite Hopping Mad IPA, Durham Hop Addict IPA, Mike Duggan #9 IPA and Scotch Irish Sgt.Major IPA. In a head to head final round, Mike Duggan #9 IPA was victorious against Durhams Hop Addict, taking the title of the 1st annual IPA challenge winner.

It’s now 2010 and barVolo would like to invite you to participate in the 2nd Annual Ontario Cask I.P.A Challenge. This year will feature 16 India Pale Ales on cask, with three rounds, all tasted blindly. The top score from each beer pairing will advance to the next round. All participating beers will be disclosed as brewers submit their beers, please check our website for updates.

Canadian East Coast v.s West Coast v.s No Coast Double IPA Challenge – Saturday, May 29th, 2010 from 12:00-5:00pm

To start the Ontario Cask IPA Challenge festivities, we will be hosting a Canadian Bottle Double IPA Challenge, featuring Eight Double IPA’s from coast to coast served blind.

Phillips Amnesiac - Victoria, British Columbia

Tree Hop Head Double IPA - Kelowna - British Columbia

Half-Pints Humulus Ludicrous - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Black Oak Ten Bitter Years - Toronto, Ontario

Beau’s Screaming Beaver - Vankleek, Ontario

Great Lakes My Bitterer Wife - Toronto, Ontario

Charlevoix Amarillo Double IPA - Baie-St-Paul, Quebec

Garrison Imperial India Pale Ale - Halifax, Nova Scotia

Try all eight double IPA’s blind served in 3oz sample glasses for $20.00. Beers will be disclosed after the event on our website

IPA Challenge: Round One – Sunday, May 30th, 2010 from 12:00-8:00pm

The first round will take place May 30th from 12pm-8pm (or until supplies last). featuring sixteen Ontario india Pale Ales on cask all served blind. The beers will be judged by a panel of 7 ‘beer experts’, with an 8th score, that will be the public score. Upon arrival, everyone will receive a score card to rate all the beers. At the end of the event we will tally all the scores and the top score from each pairing will advance to the next round. All beers served will be disclosed the following day on this website.

IPA Challenge: Round Two – Saturday, June 26th, 2010 from 12:00-8:00pm

The second round will take place on Saturday, June 26th between 12:00-8:00pm and will feature the 8 beers that advanced from the first round, and will be a blind public vote. Upon arrival, everyone will receive a score card to rate all the beers. At the end of the event we will tally all the scores and the top score from each pairing will advance to the next round. All beers served will be disclosed the following day on this website.

IPA Challenge: Round Three – Sunday, June 27th, 2010 from 12:00-8:00pm

The third round will take place on Sunday, June 27th between 12:00-8:00pm and will feature the 4 beers that advanced from the second round, and will be a blind public vote. The top scored beer at the end of this round will be crowned the winner of the Ontario Cask IPA Challenge.

*If the top two scored beers can be brewed again, a fourth, final showdown round will take place on a future date.

All beers will be available by the quarter, half and full pint serving size
Quarter Pint = $2.00 / Half-Pints = $4.00 / Full Pint = $8.00- Included Tax.
We are accepting cash only – ATM located downstairs – This is a 19+ event.

http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html
info@barvolo.com
Follow @barvolo on Twitter and partake using #ipachallenge

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Just realized I'm going to be in Toronto for the Double IPA challenge. Excellent! Though I do wish Greg Nash's Double Dimentia from his Pump House days or his upcoming Hop Mess Monster could be included. I'd love to see how they'd stack up with that line-up.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Glad the IIPA event left out Paddock Wood Loki. That beer was a mess when I sampled it.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

barVolo

Post by barVolo »

2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge Announcement

The following are the confirmed beers thus far for the IPA Challenge. We are still working out the minor details as we have exceeded our original 16 entries;

Publican House Square Nail IPA
Granite Hopping Mad IPA
Granite IPA
Mill St. IPA
Great Lakes My Bitter Wife IPA
Great Lakes Red Neck IPA
F&M - TBA
Chesire Valley English IPA
Beau's Screaming Beaver IPA
Scotch Irish Sgt.Major IPA
Grand River Plowman's Anniversary IPA
Durham XXX IPA
Durham Hop Addict IPA
Black Oak Hop Bomb IPA
Trafalgar - TBA
Black Creek - TBA
Mike Duggan #9 IPA
Church Key West Coast IPA
Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA
Muskoka - TBA
Amsterdam – TBA

Cheers!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Its a sad day when no one at all comments on this awesome lineup of cask beer. Should be another awesome event at Volo.

Amsterdam's IPA is called 'The Boneshaker'. Reminds me of a Pixies song...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:Amsterdam's IPA is called 'The Boneshaker'. Reminds me of a Pixies song...
Actually, the Pixies song is "Bone Machine".

It's Alien Sex Fiend that did "Boneshaker Baby".

(Yes, I'm old.)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GregClow wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Amsterdam's IPA is called 'The Boneshaker'. Reminds me of a Pixies song...
Actually, the Pixies song is "Bone Machine".
I know that, Greg! I was making an subtle allusion to it...

"Buy me a soda"?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobsy wrote:Its a sad day when no one at all comments on this awesome lineup of cask beer. Should be another awesome event at Volo.
Perhaps we are all just looking forward to enjoying it? Who knows.

barVolo

Post by barVolo »

2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge 2010 - Round One Bracket Update!

We are happy to release our official bracket for the IPA challenge this year. Thank you to all participating brewers and patrons for your continuous support. We look forward to seeing everyone at the festivities! A reminder that all beers will be served blind and will be disclosed the following day on our website. The top score from each beer pairing will advance to the next round.

Division One: Toronto

Mike Duggan Number Nine IPA v.s
Black Creek IPA (TBA)

Great Lakes Red Neck IPA v.s
Chesire Valley English IPA v.s
Granite IPA

Black Oak Hop Bomb IPA v.s
Great Lakes My Bitter Wife IPA v.s
Mill St. IPA

Amsterdam Bone Shaker IPA v.s
Granite Hopping Mad IPA v.s
TBA

Division Two: Ontario

Country Durham Hop Addict IPA v.s
Muskoka Born Bitter IPA

Church Key West Coast IPA v.s
Flying Monkey Smash Bomb IPA v.s
Grand River Plowman’s Anniversary IPA

Publican House Square Nail IPA v.s
Beau’s Beaver River IPA v.s
Durham XXX IPA

F&M Stonehammer IPA v.s
Trafalgar IPA (TBA) v.s
Scotch Irish Sgt.Major IPA

Please follow http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html and #barvolo for updates!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

So I assume we would pick from the group of three beers and they are served blind that way, or is it completely blind and you can get any one of them??

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Hope to catch a few of you there for the IIPAs on Saturday. I'll be the tall skinny guy with the notebook (paper not laptop).

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll be there Saturday too, tall skinny guy with glasses and a notebook
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I will likely be there. Tall, formerly skinny guy with a notebook.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

So how was the bottle tasting yesterday? Saw some twitter action about it, looked like people were having a good time.

I'll be there today - part of the judging panel at 11, and will likely stick around for a bit afterward.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It was a blast. Another first class event from Volo.