Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge 2010

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The blind IIPA tasting was great. What became very apparent very quickly was that picking out one brand from another was extremely difficult. The better strategy, and I think the one Ralph intended, was to just rate them on their individual strengths and weaknesses.

The only downside to the event was that some of the beers were not in perfect condition. IPA's obviously don't age well and a couple clearly showed their deterioration. The results will be posted in the next day or two...but I expect 10 bitter years to be the winner.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Jon Walker wrote: The results will be posted in the next day or two...but I expect 10 bitter years to be the winner.
Twitter agrees with you.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Yes, great time at the IIPA tasting. Great to meet a few of you in real life too. Look forward to seeing the results.

And I have to say that if I could transplant one bar into Halifax to be my neighbourhood pub, Volo would be it. Just love the feel of the place to go with the top notch selection.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Any word on when the results for the Double IPA fest might come out? Or even just the beers in order as they were served? I'd just like to know what was what.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Any concern about rounds 2 and 3 of the IPA Challenge taking place on the G20 weekend? Me, I'm planning on staying well away from downtown.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

TwoPint wrote:Any concern about rounds 2 and 3 of the IPA Challenge taking place on the G20 weekend? Me, I'm planning on staying well away from downtown.
I don't see how there will be any issues where Volo is. It's well away from the security area around the convention centre and Queen's Park where the protest site is.

I live and work just outside the security areas and don't think I'll have any issues for getting around other than by car which I expect will be gridlock.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

JerCraigs wrote:http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html

Results are up.
Probably not surprising, in the Double IPA challenge I picked out the Garrison from the first sniff, but didn't guess any of the rest correct. I scored Half Pints and Great Lakes the highest, closely followed by Tree.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I got 5 of the IIPA's correct and guessed the mystery submission...but I was still surprised by how hard it was to tell them apart. Blind tasting really is the way to go.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

TwoPint wrote:Any concern about rounds 2 and 3 of the IPA Challenge taking place on the G20 weekend?
In case anyone missed it, the dates for rounds 2 and 3 have been changed to July 9/10 and July 23.

http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

TwoPint wrote:
TwoPint wrote: In case anyone missed it, the dates for rounds 2 and 3 have been changed to July 9/10 and July 23.

http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html
ThanksTwoPint.
Without your post I had no idea of the change and was planning on going down on our way to Sunnyside Pavillion... no Twitter ?

Any ideas why? G20 paranoia? or beer supply? or ???

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

NRman wrote:Any ideas why? G20 paranoia? or beer supply? or ???
My guess is it's a combo of G20 concerns and not wanting to compete with Session.

barVolo

Post by barVolo »

Friday July 9th, Saturday July 10th
2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge 2010: Round Two

The second round will take place on Friday July 9th and Saturday July 10th (date change) between starting @4:00PM Friday. It will feature the 9 beers that advanced from the first round, and will be a blind public vote. Upon arrival, everyone will receive a score card to rate all the beers. At the end of the event we will tally all the scores and the top score from each pairing will advance to the next round. The following beers will be available on cask, until supplies last;

Round 2 - Division One: Toronto

Duggan’s Number Nine IPA v.s Cheshire Valley English IPA
Great Lakes My Bitter Wife IPA v.s Great Lakes Armadildo IPA

Round 2 - Division Two: Ontario
County Durham Hop Head IPA v.s Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb IPA
Beau’s Beaver River IPA v.s F&M Stonehammer IPA v.s Scotch Irish Sgt.Major IPA

Please Note:
- This is a 19+ event
- All beers will be available until supplies last
- Beers will be available by the quarter, half and full pint
- All beers will be served blind and disclosed the following Monday on our website
- Pint (20oz) = $6.50 / Half-Pint (10oz) = $4.50 / Quarter-Pint (5oz) = $2.50

For more information please visit http://www.barvolo.com/ipachallenge.html
barVolo Events Calendar http://www.barvolo.com/events.html
Cheers!

barVolo

Post by barVolo »

barVolo would like to thank all of the participating brewers and everyone who attended the 2nd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge Round 2 last weekend. With over 150 scores submitted, and 9 beers available blind, the following are the results;

http://bit.ly/dsxIo6

The Final Four: Friday, July 23rd, 2010 @ 4:00pm

Cheshire Valley English IPA
Great Lakes My Bitter Wife IPA
Flying Monkey SmashBomb IPA
Beau’s Beaver River IPA

Cheers!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Just curious... Were the Duggan's #9 and Great Lakes Armadildo disqualified from advancing due to performance-enhancing hopping or something??