Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week - Sept 20-26

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Anyone interested in volunteering at tomorrow's Canadian Brewing Awards Gala in Toronto? Have Smart Serve? Msg. troy@tapsmedia.ca for details.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

sstackho wrote:Just curious - do you know if the steaks were cooked offsite? I don't think they have a full kitchen at The Only, so I was wondering how they'd pull off a dinner...
A barbeque was set up in the back patio, and the steaks were cooked to order. The rep from Big Rock did the cooking. It was like being in a friend's backyard: very relaxed and friendly.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

I saw the post on Facebook, and went to the Amsterdam brewery late this afternoon, to sample the just released Oktoberfest lager. A little hint of smokiness, fairly dark, lots of body. Deelish! A terrific lager, and accompanied by some awesome smoked meat from Caplansky's deli, as well as bbq'd sausages.

The winners of the TBW Home Brewers competition were announced, and the first place winner will have his recipe brewed at the Amsterdam. A number of entrants were in the crowd. A TBW photographer was busy snapping pics.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Some crappy news: I got a call last night informing me that the Saturday dinner at Trevor, with beer pairings from Duggan's, has been canceled due to there not being enough reservations to make it worth doing.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Greg, I wonder if it's one of those weird scenarios when people assume the event is so popular they don't try to get tickets...believing the event is already sold out. Also wonder if the price had anything to do with lack of sales.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

zane9 wrote: A TBW photographer was busy snapping pics.
Yup, its a tough life but someone has to do it :P

Pictures from last night will start filtering up early this afternoon, swamped at my real job and trying to take a minute every ten or fifteen to process a couple of shots and get them ready to upload.

Good times at Amsterdam, Volo and beerbistro for my quick hit visits last night!
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

zane9 wrote:Greg, I wonder if it's one of those weird scenarios when people assume the event is so popular they don't try to get tickets...believing the event is already sold out. Also wonder if the price had anything to do with lack of sales.
I doubt it's the former - a quick phone call to check if there are still spots available isn't difficult.

Price may have had something to do with it, although the BrewDog dinner sold out quickly at a higher price ($90 vs $79), and $79 for a six-course dinner including drinks is honestly a bargain for a place like Trevor.

I've got a couple of thoughts on why it failed (and why the turnout for at least one other ticketed event I went to this week was so poor), but I'll wait and write something up after the week is done as a post-mortem sort of thing.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:Some crappy news: I got a call last night informing me that the Saturday dinner at Trevor, with beer pairings from Duggan's, has been canceled due to there not being enough reservations to make it worth doing.
That's too bad. It did sound like it would be an enjoyable event. There is a lot of stuff going on this weekend though so people are probably at least partly having a tough time choosing priorities!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Pub Style wrote:
lister wrote:Are the shirts available for purchase at most of the venues? Volo or C'est What in particular?!
You can purchase shirts at C'est What, Victory Cafe, and the Granite. Some of us have t-shirts with us each night, so depending where we are (myself and John Bowden are tweeting where we'll be) you can get one off of us.

www.twitter.com/torontobeerweek
I was going to buy one last night at The Granite but they mostly had Mediums and a couple of Larges. The large might fit me but no one wants to see me squeeze into that! :)

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

zane9 wrote:A barbeque was set up in the back patio, and the steaks were cooked to order. The rep from Big Rock did the cooking. It was like being in a friend's backyard: very relaxed and friendly.
Ah funny, I play ball hockey with the Big Rock rep (and we blew a 2-goal lead to lose to his team last night). Just saw him at the Allen's lunch event, which was good.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

GregClow wrote:
zane9 wrote:Greg, I wonder if it's one of those weird scenarios when people assume the event is so popular they don't try to get tickets...believing the event is already sold out. Also wonder if the price had anything to do with lack of sales.
I doubt it's the former - a quick phone call to check if there are still spots available isn't difficult.

Price may have had something to do with it, although the BrewDog dinner sold out quickly at a higher price ($90 vs $79), and $79 for a six-course dinner including drinks is honestly a bargain for a place like Trevor.

I've got a couple of thoughts on why it failed (and why the turnout for at least one other ticketed event I went to this week was so poor), but I'll wait and write something up after the week is done as a post-mortem sort of thing.
Or some of us might be expecting the hangover to start early after such a good week of drinking. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Hats off to everyone involved with Toronto's first Beer Week!
A great success from my perspective.
One suggestion for the map/passport next year - add opening hours for the places listed.

For us, Beer Week achieved the following:
- got us into town for a couple of days including an overnight
- visited new places (Bryden's - we'll be back!)
- tried many many fantastic beers - some others - not so much.
- told anyone who would listen about the wonders of craft beer.
- visited some brewers and bought some more beer (I think I may add extra home security knowing I have 24x 10 Bitter Years in the basement)

Can't wait til next year!
:D

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Great Week, hope everyone and their livers are recovering, i don't remember the last time i spent 6 straight nights at bars (had other commitments on the 7th day to the Railway Museum at the Roundhouse).

All the pictures are uploaded now for those who were out and need to remember where they were, or who missed out to get jealous and make sure you get out next year!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N ... 001600088/

Cheers

Stephen
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Terrific stuff, Stephen. It's great to have a record of what we were all up to last week. For a moment I started to remember an event I didn't even get to -- there had to be one or two. And I want to make it clear that I didn't wear the same TBW t-shirt all week. I had two, and I did a laundry somewhere during the 7 glorious days. But I might wear something else when I go out this evening. (I'm reluctant to see this thing end.)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great photos Stephen! Thanks to everyone for coming out and making TBW a successful event. If anyone has any suggestions or comments for how we can improve next year just drop me a PM. Cheers!