Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week - Sept 20-26

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Toronto Beer Week - Sept 20-26

Post by GregClow »

The team at Toronto Beer Week Ltd. is excited to announce that Toronto will have a week-long celebration of beer this fall. With over 15 North American cities (including Vancouver, San Diego, Chicago and Philadelphia) already hosting successful beer weeks, the time is right for Toronto to stage an event of our own.

Toronto Beer Week (TBW) is a collective series of events dedicated to the celebration and advancement of the craft beer movement. TBW will showcase authentically brewed and flavourful beer, the talented brewers who create them, and the licensees who proudly support them. It’s all about good beer – no bland, mega beer permitted!

The event will kick off the day after the Toronto International Film Festival comes to a close, and will feature dozens of events held at some of the city’s finest restaurants, bars and pubs. Event examples might include:

- Beer dinners
- Feature cask ale tastings
- Brewing demonstrations
- Neighbourhood pub crawls
- Beer trivia evenings
- And much, much more

The TBW team will work with breweries and licensees to develop unique events that suit their independent character. We are working hard on some exciting ways to promote the Week and encourage awareness of the incredible beers that are now available in Toronto. Updates and more information can be found at www.torontobeerweek.com or on the TBW Facebook page.
Last edited by GregClow on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Oh, and while it's not mentioned on the website, it was announced via Twitter this morning that the first confirmed event for the week is a Brewdog beer dinner.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

how about a collaboration beer with Brewdog and anybody in town
now that would be something

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Just to re-iterate, here's a number of ways to follow the latest news and updates on Toronto Beer Week.

1) through Bartowel
2) www.torontobeerweek.com
3) on twitter by subscribing to @TorontoBeerWeek
4) on facebook by joining Toronto Beer Week

I think its also important to provide feedback and suggestions on the sort of events that you'd like to see, and what's worthy of attending.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

For purely selfish reasons, I want to see a Cask event that invites brewers to create an English or Welsh style mild. So far there's the Grand River one and the one from Scotch Irish. I feel like Neustadt would be a good participant and so would Durham. Maybe throw in a couple others just to see what they can bring to the table. Maybe Cheshire Valley.

Rules:

No beer to exceed 4.5% alcohol. Must meet with the approval of an English Ex-pat.

It has the benefit of being relatively profitable for whoever hosts it, and it might bring the style back in Toronto, which I think is ready for lighter alcohol cask ales.
saintjohnswort.ca

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

saints_gambit wrote:For purely selfish reasons, I want to see a Cask event that invites brewers to create an English or Welsh style mild. So far there's the Grand River one and the one from Scotch Irish. I feel like Neustadt would be a good participant and so would Durham. Maybe throw in a couple others just to see what they can bring to the table. Maybe Cheshire Valley.

Rules:

No beer to exceed 4.5% alcohol. Must meet with the approval of an English Ex-pat.

It has the benefit of being relatively profitable for whoever hosts it, and it might bring the style back in Toronto, which I think is ready for lighter alcohol cask ales.
Cheshire Valley has already done one. I liked it quite a bit. Pretty nice ratings: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cheshire-v ... ld/106322/

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

In light of the fact that we have received our 1st building permit (3 years in), we are getting very close to being able to run events in our own hospitality space.

We will guarenteed have a tasting of beers under 5% with guest casks and we are also bantering around a cask festival here at the brewery. Sorry I can't give specific dates yet but we are definitely gearing up for it - it will help when we actually have a second washroom built :roll:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Rob Creighton wrote:In light of the fact that we have received our 1st building permit (3 years in), we are getting very close to being able to run events in our own hospitality space.

We will guarenteed have a tasting of beers under 5% with guest casks and we are also bantering around a cask festival here at the brewery. Sorry I can't give specific dates yet but we are definitely gearing up for it - it will help when we actually have a second washroom built :roll:

A second would certainly help. I always enjoyed using the port o potties located behind the building too! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

With over 15 North American cities (including Vancouver, San Diego, Chicago and Philadelphia) already hosting successful beer weeks, the time is right for Toronto to stage an event of our own.

I'm not coming unless they provide paranoid riot cops and a few burning cruisers. :lol:
Last edited by pootz on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Rob Creighton wrote:In light of the fact that we have received our 1st building permit (3 years in), we are getting very close to being able to run events in our own hospitality space.

I hope by that time there's a system to contact GRB supporters by E-mail to inform them of these events....also so they get first crack at tickets. How does one get on "the list"? :wink:
Aventinus rules!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pootz wrote:

I hope by that time there's a system to contact GRB supporters by E-mail to inform them of these events....also so they get first crack at tickets. How does one get on "the list"? :wink:
i always ask what events or new products GRB has in the works every time i go there, and i go there ever week. also, every grand river tasting gets posted here:

http://kwbeer.forumup.com/

knowing the start time might help for future tasting too :D

TJ

Post by TJ »

Pub Style wrote:New Toronto Beer Week logo.

Please tell me there will be T-shirts made up with that logo in it.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

TJ wrote:
Pub Style wrote:New Toronto Beer Week logo.
Please tell me there will be T-shirts made up with that logo in it.
You betcha! They will be available late summer for sure. Details will be announced in due time...

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

There's no Sky Dome in the city line!?!
Boy, the Jays really have fallen out of the public interest :wink: