Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mondial de la Biere 2011 in Montreal - June 10-12, 2011

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Duct Tape

Mondial de la Biere 2011 in Montreal - June 10-12, 2011

Post by Duct Tape »

I just happened to be checking dates for events in 2011, and i thought i should raise the early warning for anyone thinking of going to Mondial next year, it is the same weekend as the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, which means, the City will be busier than usual, but also that the hotels will be busier and more expensive than usual. Those looking to go to Mondial may want to look at hotel accommodations and travel plans sooner rather than later for June 2011.

Mondial de la Biere - June 8-12, 2011
Canadian Grand Prix - June 10-12, 2011

Later

DT
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Wow, why on earth would they schedule conflicting schedules? The GP is always the 2nd weekend in June and its not like Mondial organizers would have been unaware of that fact.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

That doesn't seem like a terribly good idea. The hotels will be way overpriced and the city insanely busy.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Cass wrote:That doesn't seem like a terribly good idea. The hotels will be way overpriced and the city insanely busy.
wonder if it has anything to do with availability of the new venue...

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

or maybe they are hoping to draw some of the Grand Prix crowd into Mondial...

notdan

Post by notdan »

Sadly I still haven't been to this due to being stuck in various other cities/countries. If the hotels are gonna be crazy expensive then perhaps I'll make a day trip from Ottawa by bus.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

I'm going again this year, will be in Montreal mon-fri . If anyone is going book now as most of the hotels I looked at downtown were full for friday night.

Sil

Post by Sil »

They've sorted some student apartments with UQAM that are more reasonably priced. I'm still not going (for the first time in 4 years) because I don't feel like crashing in student digs and all the hotels are overly expensive or already booked.

Also, I've lived in Montreal during GP and that's not a crowd I really want to overlap :(

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

This is not a happy overlap for someone like myself who detests motor sports in all their forms. Fortunately, my wife and I stay with friends during Mondial, so hotel costs aren't an issue, but the extra crowds in the city will complicate travel and will likely mean a tougher time getting tables at Dieu du Ciel. :x
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

BooBoo wrote:. . . . will likely mean a tougher time getting tables at Dieu du Ciel. :x
Is that possible?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

The last two years we've shown up at 2:45-2:50 in the afternoon on the day of our arrival and had only a couple of people waiting in front of us for the 3:00PM opening. Last year we went in and got a table by the window with no problem. I have a feeling that this year things won't be so easy.

We go for three days: first day is Dieu du Ciel for several hours and then a restuarant, next two are Mondial during the day and evenings with friends. It's a great weekend!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

So.....I had this random idea pop into my head. And while it is too late to consider this year, as you need advance booking....

But, Via Rail has a charter service, where you can privately book an entire rail car.

Imagine a Bartowel train car ride to Montreal for the fest??

Details at link below...basically it is around $6000 and up to 68 people for economy service.

If you are patient you can get Toronto - Montreal routes cheaper when they're on sale.....but I think this would be a novel idea for $200 each.

Ok, back to drinking beer now....

http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/chartered-car-rental

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Just realized that I'll be flying out of Montreal on June 8th, the day that Mondial starts... :o
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

cannondale wrote:Just realized that I'll be flying out of Montreal on June 8th, the day that Mondial starts... :o
That's also when the F1 circus will be getting into gear. Be prepared, you never know when a grid girl will walk by and your jaw will need to be picked up ;)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So who all is in for this? I'll be there Thursday onwards.