Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2011 Toronto Beer Week - Sept 16th-24th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

wilco wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
wilco wrote:Working from memory...

#1 Black Creek and Dick Snyder
#2 Great Lakes (Adrian) and Chris Schryer
#3 Amsterdam (Iain) and myself
#4 Hogtown and Greg Clow
#5 Cheshire Valley and Jordan St.John
#6 Black Creek and Josh Rubin
#7 Great Lakes (Lackey) and Chris Grimley
#8 See #2
#9 Cameron's and Chris Talbot
#10 Amsterdam (Bartle) and Matt Caldwell

#7 had 22 votes, #4 had 20, the rest were nine or under.

This will hopefully become an annual events with some of the kinks worked out next year. Thanks to those who came out and hope everyone had a blast.
Good time was had, thought Rubin and Black Oak stole the show for me. Couple suggestions (?) for next year: larger venue, more beer available (some things just ran out too fast!) and maybe a greater latent period between announcing the contest/teams and the actual event - maybe allowing those who actually want to barrel age their stuff for a somewhat extended period have the ability to. Maybe not restrict it to casks as well; although tasty, having a saison on cask doesn't really do it justice imo! Cheers all.
I agree and those are all things that a number of us have already had talks about. The demand was surprising, to say the least. Glad to hear you still had a good time.

Things were worked out well in advance of when we announced the teams, but the barrels were brand new and most people didn't want to age their beers for too long in case they came out really oaky. It was an experiment for all of us (both the beers and the event), so look for even better things next year. There might also be one or two extra quirks to the challenge!
Cool, just thought if a team wanted to age their offering for an extended period, at least they'd have the option. Looking forward to more of these types of events!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

went with the family to burger bar for dinner tonight...had a brief talk with Brock.

He's got lots of fun stuff lined up for this week, but I think the most interesting is "Brocktoberfest" on Sunday afternoon...

He's been playing around with hop infused sausages, burgers, and chocolate, and it sounds like it's going to be a cool event...

While I was there I also tried the Church Key Barley Legal Barrel Aged BW. It was pretty good...

(...also...the service tonight...it was really GOOD...Like, 20% tip good! All new wait staff (at least since I'd been there). Waitress got us water right away and checked on us not once but THRICE during our meal! - it was awesome...granted the food still takes a long time, but I don't care about that when the burgers are that good.)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JeffPorter wrote:went with the family to burger bar for dinner tonight...had a brief talk with Brock.

He's got lots of fun stuff lined up for this week, but I think the most interesting is "Brocktoberfest" on Sunday afternoon...

He's been playing around with hop infused sausages, burgers, and chocolate, and it sounds like it's going to be a cool event...

While I was there I also tried the Church Key Barley Legal Barrel Aged BW. It was pretty good...

(...also...the service tonight...it was really GOOD...Like, 20% tip good! All new wait staff (at least since I'd been there). Waitress got us water right away and checked on us not once but THRICE during our meal! - it was awesome...granted the food still takes a long time, but I don't care about that when the burgers are that good.)
Gotta love Burger Bar. heading there tomorrow to try Mad Tom through the randall.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Tonight's TBW EVENTS!

The Rhino’s Curry & Hawaiian Style Pale
Date: Monday, September 19th, 2011
Time: 6-11pm
Cost: Plate and Pint $15.95

Authentic chicken or lamb vindaloo and a pint of Hawaiian Style Pale Ale for $15.95 plus Spearhead giveaways throughout the night

Mill Street @ Dakota Tavern
Date: ALL WEEK
Time: All day
Cost: No cost

Mill Street Tankhouse, Organic Lager and Lemon Tea beers paired with fresh local foods – All week

Beer Pairing Dinners with Locally Grown Foods
Date: Monday September 19, 2011
Time: Call for details 416.922.7423
Cost: Call for Details 416.544.9074

The Abbot is going to be pairing fabulous craft beers with amazing locally grown foods from “100 Mile Market.” We will be creating wonderful meals and serving them throughout the week.

Beau’s Exclusive Beer Dinner
Time: 7pm
Location: Queen and Beaver Public House, 35 Elm St 647.347.2712
Cost: $55.00

A five course Beau’s All Natural Brewing Co. beer dinner at the Queen and Beaver featuring British dishes prepared by Chef Andrew Carter paired with German beer from Beau’s featuring “Lugtread” Lagered Ale, “Dunkel Buck” Weizenbock, “Night Marzen” Oktoberfest Lager, “Two Weeks Notice” German Porter, and “Mr.Hyde” Roggenbier meets Rye Pale Ale. This is the only chance during Toronto Beer Week to get a sneak peek at some of the Beau’s Oktoberfest Wild Oats beer.

The dinner will be headed up by Beau’s Steve Beauchesne and spots are available by reservation only by calling Queen and Beaver directly at 647-347-2712. Limited spots still available!

Beer Week @ Marben With Muskoka
Time: Dinner service only 5:30pm-11pm
Cost: $18

Marben is the home of farmhouse revival! Join them during Toronto Beer Week for a delicious Thuringer Sausage and a pint of Muskoka Harvest Ale for only $18. You won’t regret it!

Samplers Season @ Brass Taps
Time: All day
Cost: $2 per sample

Brass Taps will be offering 6oz samplers of ALL of our craft beer line up at $2 a pop! Check out their new craft beer line-up!

Monday Night Pint Night – $5
Time: 2pm till Close
Cost: $5.00 pints

Denison’s Weissbier (German Hefeweizen)
Flying Monkey’s Smash Bomb Atomic IPA (American IPA)
Black Oak Ten Bitter Years (Double IPA)
Wellington Russian Imperial Stout
Denison’s Dunkel (Munich Dark Lager)
Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale (American IPA)
Grand River Mill Race Mild (English Mild)
King Pilsner (Czech Pilsner)
Creemore Kellerbier (Kellerbier)
Amsterdam Framboise (Raspberry Fruit)
Mill St. Coffee Porter (Coffee Porter)
Flying Monkey Netherworld Porter (Hoppy Porter)
Great Lakes Hop Hoarder’s IPA
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (Cask)
Durham XXX IPA (Cask)

Mad Tom Meets Randall
Time: Open till Close
Cost: Per Pint

Muskoka Mad Tom IPA will be put through Randall the Enamel Animal with hops chosen by the brewmaster.

Victory Grub & Grog
Date: September 16th through 24th
Time: 3pm till 12am
Cost: $21.00 for pint and chef’s special

6 different beers, 6 different food specials!

Limited number of specials per day, $21.00+tax For Pint and Diner Pairing. Also surprise tasting throughout the week from: Beau’s, King, And Mill Street. Food specials will be announced the day prior to event on our website (victorycafe.ca).

16th – Denisons Weissbier
17th – Mill Street Stout
18th – Neustadt Springs 10w30
19th & 20th – King Pilsner
21st & 22nd – Beau’s Lug Tread Lagered Ale
23rd & 24th – Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale

La Palette Daily Beer Tasting Menu
Time: 11am till close
Cost: $10 w/ Beer Pairing

La Palette will be creating a new daily tasting menu (3 courses) to be paired with certain beers throughout Toronto Beer Week.

Draught:
St.Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, McAuslan Cream Ale, Delirium Tremens, Augusta Ale, Dieu Du Ciel Rosee Hibiscus, Stiegl Radler

Bottles:
Huge selection of Canadian craft as well as Scottish, German and Belgian ales and lambics

Beer 101 With Roger Mittag
Date: Monday Sept 19th. 2011
Time: 6:30pm
Cost: $20++

Beer 101 with Roger Mittag

Posted in Events | Also tagged beerbistro, downtown, education | Leave a comment | Edit
Beer Barons Tap Take-Over
Date: Monday September 19th, 2011
Time: 7:00-9:00pm
Cost: Free

It’s a tap take over with our friends the Beer Barons. We’ll be featuring and sampling some of the King Brewery best selections as well as samples of the new Thornberry Cider.

Spearhead presents Smokey Folk
Time: 8:00-11:30pm
Location: Castro’s Lounge, 2116e Queen St East, (416) 699-8272
Cost: Free Admission, bring bills for the band’s jug

Join us at Castro’s as Spearhead hosts Smokey Folk Bluegrass and serves up their Hawaiian-style Pale Ale. Spearhead will be pouring while the boys in Smokey Folk play some of the most traditional bluegrass music you will find in the city. Come early to get a seat, and don’t forget to bring some monetary love to throw in the band’s jug.

Smokey Folk literally blowing the roof off the place:

Bräu und Wurst
Time: 7pm
Cost: TBA

A night of beer and sausage with Stephen Beaumont. Seating is limited, RSVP soon.

BBQ Royal Beef Cuts & Steam Whistle
Date: Monday, September 19, 2011
Time: 5pm
Cost: Plate and Pint – $10

Steam Whistle Brewery will be doing some BBQ Royal Beef cuts to accompany their fine Pilsner!

Cask Jam
Time: 8:00pm
Cost: Free admission – No Cover

Launching permanent cask ale! Live grooves, local cask brews & finger food!

Tasting: Cask from Great Lakes Brewery, Cheshire Valley Brewery Co, County of Durham Brewing and F&M Brewery

Food pairing: Various complimentary nibbles, BBQ Pork, fish tacos, kettle chips and more

Food drinks deal: ($4.90+tax all pints)

VIP’s receive two free pints of cask ale. Send your requests to be placed on our VIP list through facebook or email to info@dominiononqueen.com ONLY upon our replied confirmation will you be guaranteed to be on our VIP list. General public is welcome.

Guest: Larry Sherk, Canadian Brewerianist Collector and Lee Ecclestone of F&M Brewery, Cambridge Ont.

Live Music: Noah Leibel’s “Beyond the Groove”, NO COVER!

Canada vs. The World – Pale Ales
Time: 2:00pm-2:00am
Cost: $6.00 all in

An open blind tasting of Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale, Muskoka Mad Tom IPA, Southern Tier IPA.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I went on the brewery history tour yesterday (Sunday) and it was fun - beautiful day, interesting talk, beers...until we got to the Dominion. For starters, the front door was locked, leaving us with no way in. Finally the bartender opened it in a hurry, telling us we had to be out by 4:30. So we all crowded around the bar, because it was only bar service, with the same surly bartender, serving ONE brand of beer - Mill St. Tankhouse, Organic, Framboise. I was there a week before and their tap list was great, so I asked why they'd all been taken off - "We're only serving Mill St today."

Why the hell woould they do that? Anyway, a sorry ending to an otherwise great afternoon.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I really enjoyed the Bragging Rights event, all the beers were solid and I must agree, Josh's brew was by far my favourite. I also mirror the sentiment re having more quantities of beer available as some went SUPER quick, the service was great though and I barely had an empty glass. My only other niggle was the lack of food, it was so busy that when the servers entered the bar they barely made it ten feet before their trays were empty.

That being said; it was great fun. Well done to Andrew too
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Malcolm wrote: serving ONE brand of beer - Mill St. Tankhouse, Organic, Framboise. I was there a week before and their tap list was great, so I asked why they'd all been taken off - "We're only serving Mill St today."

Why the hell woould they do that? Anyway, a sorry ending to an otherwise great afternoon.
Unfortunately scheduling conflicts - It was Rockabilly Weekend there and Mill Street is a huge sponsor.

I'm sure they'll make it up tonight with the Cask Jam.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Pub Style wrote:Tonight's TBW EVENTS!

Monday Night Pint Night – $5
Time: 2pm till Close
Cost: $5.00 pints
We had a fine time at Volo last night. The place was packed and we sat on the patio for quite a while, and then were moved inside.

I settled in with pints of Dieu du Ciel's Corne du Diable. An excellent beer, and I was quite surprised to see it on the chalkboard. A great value at $5.00!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Good times at the Cloak and Volo tonight.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Enjoyed a few Howe Sound brews at Volo. All were decent, the surprise favorite for me being the Imperial Hefe. Dangerously drinkable!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Just a nitpick, something advertised as a tap takeover should have most if not all taps dedicated to said brewery. At Wvrst tonight, as far as we could tell, there were two Church Key taps, the Holy Smoke which is part of the normal Wvrst draft lineup and the Grains of Wraith which was there for the event and may very well become a regular from what I was told. Samples of bottled Northumberland and Barely Legal were given out (plus samples of the two drafts if asked.) The Barely Legal was the first barley wine that we liked (I'm not a high ABV fan normally.) So it was an okay event, just not what we were expecting (like what Volo is doing where they really are tap takeover nights.) Got some questions answered about some Church Key offerings that we haven't seen for a while.

Next event is the Black Oak takeover then both C'est What events and then finishing with the DDC takeover. Good lead-in for our NYC trip next week.

Hopefully in a couple of years we'll have a lot more time to hit more events.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Good Toronto Beard Week pubcrawl from Bryden's to Rhino to Painted Lady last night.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Tonight (Wednesday) was the only night other than Friday I could make it downtown, some places (like volo) were taking a mid-week break. I stopped into the Burger Bar for the Indie Ale House "preview". They were serving an IPA, a breakfast porter, and a colab with Mike Lackey which they either dubbed an Imperial Mild :P or a Belgian Mild.

Both the porter and the mild were the best (the mild was VERY drinkable and fruity with that Belgian yeast). Brock was serving some hop-infused meatballs with hopped mayo and porter BBQ sauce! They were quite good. He was working his butt off! I really love this place!

Mike Lackey was there (I released only later who he was). And I just want to say that, Mr. Lackey, next time I'll introduce myself...I'm not normally that "shy". :oops:

I then headed to the Rhino for the Amsterdam tap takeover....What was nice was having Tempest on tap again, but also trying the Black Friday IPA. It was good, but it seemed like more of a hoppy brown ale. Tempest was awesome! (Trying so hard not to drink my bottles!) But I have to say, the most fun draft pour was actuall the Amsterdam Frambroise...I know we're all familiar with it, but there was something about it on tap that was really great. I think it had to do with the big pink head...It almost reminded me a bit of the lindeman's kreik.

It was a fun, midweek night, and I'm looking forward to Friday at C'est What!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

lister wrote:Just a nitpick, something advertised as a tap takeover should have most if not all taps dedicated to said brewery.

Gotta say, I agree. Volo truly does surrender all their taps. Perhaps if bars/pubs want to have "brewery" night, they call it a "feature" rather than a "take over." Unless, of course, it's a true take over.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JeffPorter wrote:Both the porter and the mild were the best (the mild was VERY drinkable and fruity with that Belgian yeast). Brock was serving some hop-infused meatballs with hopped mayo and porter BBQ sauce! They were quite good. He was working his butt off! I really love this place!
Mabel and I were probably there at the same time as you!

Those meatballs were surprisingly delicious.

I quite liked all three beers, all were well made and supremely drinkale. The IPA was a standout though. Less intense than some, that is a dangerously drinkable beer. Its a many pints tonight kinda brew. Lovely stuff.