Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

3rd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge - May 14/15

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Sil

Post by Sil »

I can't wait for this :)

I wonder if there will be another double IPA taste/challenge/what-have-you.

That was quite enjoyable last year.

barVolo

Post by barVolo »

Once again Cask Days invites you to participate in the 3rd Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge on Saturday, May 14th 2011 and Sunday, May 15th 2011 at barVolo (587 Yonge St.) This year will feature 26 different India Pale Ales from 23 breweries from Ontario. With the growing demand for hoppy beers, our goal is to inspire and challenge our local craft brewers to create new and exciting ways to make an India Pale Ale.

All participating beers will go heads up against each other in a single elimination bracket tournament. The challenge will run over two days where each IPA is assigned a number and served blind on gravity. Top scores from each beer pairing will advance to the next round. Ontario Cask IPA Challenge is a tasting event and all beers will be served in 5oz glasses. Beers that do not advance will become available by the ½ and full pint the following round.

Round 1
Sat, May 14th (12pm - 5pm)

Round 2
Sat, May 14th (6pm - 11pm)

Round 3
Sun, May 15th (12pm - 6pm)

RESOURCES

Official Website
http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge.html

Press Release
http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge2011_pressrelease.pdf

IPA Challenge Bracket
http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge2011_bracket.png

IPA Challenge Logo
http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge2011_logo.png

IPA Challenge Poster
http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge2011_poster.png
barVolo | birreria dal 1985
barvolo.com
info@barvolo.com
twitter.com/barvolo

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

So if I show up Saturday for round 1, does that mean I get kicked out when round 2 begins?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

DragonOfBlood wrote:So if I show up Saturday for round 1, does that mean I get kicked out when round 2 begins?
If it follows the old Cask Day's routine, yes. Just go for a walk, grab something to eat and come back for 6pm; simples :D

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Torontoblue wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:So if I show up Saturday for round 1, does that mean I get kicked out when round 2 begins?
If it follows the old Cask Day's routine, yes. Just go for a walk, grab something to eat and come back for 6pm; simples :D
Hmm, isn't there going to be a giant line outside to get back in?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

That's the chance you'll have to take.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'd prefer to get halves or full pints off the bat, but I can see why it would be limited to a smaller sample. Still, I find myself discouraged by the smaller serving size. I guess it's the Brit in me?

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I don't remeber it being a zoo last year, but with the growing love of craft beer who knows!

JoeMcPhee

Post by JoeMcPhee »

This was a very fun time. What was surprising is that very few of the beers were outright terrible but very few were really standouts either. I haven't gone back yet to unblind the samples I did, but my favourites from round 1 were #7, #11, #20, #22. The judging panel was pretty fun and it was great to meet a bunch of people in the Toronto beer scene who I hadn't gotten to meet yet.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Went back for day 2 today and was quite pleased with the "final four". Didn't have many that made me think "Wow I want some more!" but had a good number that I would like to drink again, which is a good thing.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I wasn't blown away by any of the samples I had yesterday, but still some good beers to be had. Of the top 4, I rated them 4,2, and a tie between 1 & 3.

Sampled 6 others that had been revealed already, I think I liked the House Ales Notorious best out of those that didn't advance. The Saint Andre was a drain pour - some ugly phenolics going on with that one.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I went on Sunday and I rated them 4>3>2>1. Of the other ones that I tried, I think the Black Oak Rye IPA was my favourite.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

My highest rating for day was the pork pie. Nom nom nom! :)