Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Brewery Market

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

icemachine wrote:
Cass wrote:Countdown to July 1st - our Canada Day edition will be called the "Group of Seven", seems appropriate for the day. We'll have seven brewery & food participants and the usual fun. Mark it down in the calendar & stay tuned for more details!
Will it be on the Monday or Tuesday?
Tuesday. That's the actual holiday.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Cass wrote:
icemachine wrote:
Cass wrote:Countdown to July 1st - our Canada Day edition will be called the "Group of Seven", seems appropriate for the day. We'll have seven brewery & food participants and the usual fun. Mark it down in the calendar & stay tuned for more details!
Will it be on the Monday or Tuesday?
Tuesday. That's the actual holiday.
Too bad, I'm stuck working that day
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

That sucks. Alas I am working on the Monday!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Happy to be welcoming Spirit Tree to the Brewer's Backyard on July 1st. This will be our first cidery at the BB and I think it will be a great addition to the day!

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Cass wrote:Happy to be welcoming Spirit Tree to the Brewer's Backyard on July 1st. This will be our first cidery at the BB and I think it will be a great addition to the day!
Any chance of a cidery for Ottawa?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

pushkinwow wrote:
Cass wrote:Happy to be welcoming Spirit Tree to the Brewer's Backyard on July 1st. This will be our first cidery at the BB and I think it will be a great addition to the day!
Are there any that are located in the Ottawa region?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Cass wrote:
pushkinwow wrote:
County Cider in Picton is closest I know of
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

icemachine wrote:
Cass wrote:
pushkinwow wrote: Any chance of a cidery for Ottawa?
County Cider in Picton is closest I know of

Hmmm - good point. Not sure if there is anything on the other side of the river though...Ian any idea?

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Saw the list of brewers for the July 5th Ottawa event - seems like you are upping the numbers every time (although that may also have been the case last year as the weather got warmer).

Any idea when we will get to see a list of beer?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

pushkinwow wrote:Saw the list of brewers for the July 5th Ottawa event - seems like you are upping the numbers every time (although that may also have been the case last year as the weather got warmer).

To be honest everyone wants in to the summer events vs. the spring/fall ones, so it's more driven by brewery interest. There will be a lot fewer for our final one in Oct as not as many breweries want to do it.

But we also have lots of space in the park - even when we were at capacity last time there was extra space.

My event mgr is putting together the beer list, when it's finished it will hit the webs right away!

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Cass wrote:
pushkinwow wrote:Saw the list of brewers for the July 5th Ottawa event - seems like you are upping the numbers every time (although that may also have been the case last year as the weather got warmer).

To be honest everyone wants in to the summer events vs. the spring/fall ones, so it's more driven by brewery interest. There will be a lot fewer for our final one in Oct as not as many breweries want to do it.

But we also have lots of space in the park - even when we were at capacity last time there was extra space.

My event mgr is putting together the beer list, when it's finished it will hit the webs right away!
Out of curiosity is there any reason why the event is in October rather then late August or early September? Would probably end up with warmer, if not better weather...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A couple of reasons. Wanted to sync the series so we had the Toronto and Ottawa ones close together, even though they don't really connect in terms of beer. But also as all our events are very dependent on volunteers, I liked the idea of not having people need to commit and work during the summer. That may change next year but I like that we have events to bookend the summer rather right in the middle.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Beer menu for Canada Day at the Brick Works:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks to all who came out yesterday, it was a great time. We set up under the canopy in the Holcim Gallery which was nice as it kept the (little) rain and blazing sunshine off of everyone. Beer & cider was great and the pies were delicious.

Next one approaching fast - Saturday in Hintonburg Park in Ottawa with Beau’s, Beyond the Pale, Big Rig, Broadhead, Cassel, Covered Bridge, HogsBack and Mill St. Stay tuned for the beer list!

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Cass wrote:Thanks to all who came out yesterday, it was a great time. We set up under the canopy in the Holcim Gallery which was nice as it kept the (little) rain and blazing sunshine off of everyone. Beer & cider was great and the pies were delicious.

Next one approaching fast - Saturday in Hintonburg Park in Ottawa with Beau’s, Beyond the Pale, Big Rig, Broadhead, Cassel, Covered Bridge, HogsBack and Mill St. Stay tuned for the beer list!
Looking forward to some great beer and great food. 8 breweries sure will make the choosing a little harder but with a list I have faith :)