Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bartowel Forums 10th Anniversary Brewday - June 17

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Lackey wrote:No. I'd like to chat about it here though. Personally, I like the idea of a belgo-CASScadian since I should have some Westmalle yeast kicking around...malt bill and hopping??? Suggestions?
My $0.02:

Malts: I'm loving Vienna these days. Either go all Vienna, or Vienna + Pale base and a little light caramel malt.

Hops: Bitter with something clean like Yakima Magnum. Finish with a mountain of Cascade and/or Centennial and/or another pungent cascadian hop.

Yeast: Westmalle.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

cannondale wrote:
Lackey wrote:No. I'd like to chat about it here though. Personally, I like the idea of a belgo-CASScadian since I should have some Westmalle yeast kicking around...malt bill and hopping??? Suggestions?
My $0.02:

Malts: I'm loving Vienna these days. Either go all Vienna, or Vienna + Pale base and a little light caramel malt.

Hops: Bitter with something clean like Yakima Magnum. Finish with a mountain of Cascade and/or Centennial and/or another pungent cascadian hop.

Yeast: Westmalle.
I like the Belgian touch, WL530?, most of my Cda's lately have been cascade for boil hops with a citra dry hop
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

You could take different approaches to the recipe:

1. Cascadian Dark Ale fermented with Belgian yeast
2. Belgian Strong Dark, with American hops.
3. Hybrid somewhere in between?
4. Don't even make it dark, as Grub suggested.

I'd probably lean towards #1, but throw in a little Belgian Special B (maybe Belgian Biscuit and/or Munich as well?). For the hopping, I'd go more fruity than piny (cascade, centennial, citra, maybe amarillo?).

This could be really unique!

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I don't know much, and I don't know if this would be possible, but has anyone considered a Belgian-Cascadian Hybrid IPA? Or would that just be silly?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Hotel is now booked!! I don't know much about TTC/GO routes, but I'm sure I can get some help on here :) . Staying at the Hyatt Regency on King.

Are we sampling beers while brewing?? (Should I bring something to share?)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Kish84 wrote:Hotel is now booked!! I don't know much about TTC/GO routes, but I'm sure I can get some help on here :) . Staying at the Hyatt Regency on King.
you're spitting distance to union, where you can hop on the lakeshore go line (IIRC) and get within about a 10min walk of great lakes. worked out well the time i went down for project x.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Kish84 wrote: Are we sampling beers while brewing?? (Should I bring something to share?)
I was going to ask the same thing, I`ve got a bomber I was thinking of bringing.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

grub wrote:
Kish84 wrote:Hotel is now booked!! I don't know much about TTC/GO routes, but I'm sure I can get some help on here :) . Staying at the Hyatt Regency on King.
you're spitting distance to union, where you can hop on the lakeshore go line (IIRC) and get within about a 10min walk of great lakes. worked out well the time i went down for project x.
You want to get off at Mimico station, 2 stations west of Union on the Go Lakeshore line. Then just walk north.

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I work downtown and am taking the Go train to Mimico and walking. What time should we all be meeting?
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Swordsman wrote:I work downtown and am taking the Go train to Mimico and walking. What time should we all be meeting?
I think the brew day starts at 1:00, if you are taking the Go train, it only comes once an hour, so from Union you want to catch the 12:43 if you want to make it for just after 1, next train is 1:43 and every hour after (it changes a little after 3:00)

Lakeshore West
12:43
1:43
2:43
3:33
4:13
4:43
5:13

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Have fun tomorrow!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well...the day is finally here. I hope everyone has a great time and a wonderful beer comes out of it. Please take lots of pics and post all your stories here...I would like to enjoy the experience even though I cannot be there.

Cheers,
Jon
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Unfortunately a work thing came up and will keep me away for a little bit this afternoon. But I'll get down there as soon as I can!

Thanks Jon again for the organizing, super cool.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Jon Walker wrote:Well...the day is finally here. I hope everyone has a great time and a wonderful beer comes out of it. Please take lots of pics and post all your stories here...I would like to enjoy the experience even though I cannot be there.

Cheers,
Jon
Thanks for getting the ball rolling Jon, it will be a good afternoon.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

No worries Jon, I made sure my camera's battery was good to go last night. We will make sure to create an epic flickr album for you!