Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bartowel Forums 10th Anniversary Brewday - June 17

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Looking forward to trying it!

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

JerCraigs wrote:Looking forward to trying it!
Definitely agree!

Had such a great time being there on the brew day.

Great to put faces to names.

It was quite evident that everyone there was equally passionate about good beer.

Thanks to Jon Walker for organizing this event. Lackey, for letting it happen at Great Lakes, and for the amazing hospitality. And of course Cass, for creating this great website/forum that we are celebrating.

Cheers!!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Kish84 wrote: It was quite evident that everyone there was equally passionate about good beer.
Except that one guy that showed up crazy late... what was his name? Cass? Something like that. :wink: :evil:

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Sounds like (and looks like, judging by the pics) everyone had a great time at the brew day. BIG thanks again to Mr.Lackey for getting on board early and being so instrumental in pulling this off.

While the brew is quietly fermenting there are still a few things to figure out like;
1) I have a temp label design for the bottles (supplied by Stephen Rich) but we still have some work to do on it and a final design to agree on and print.
2) Mike will have to let us know if he needs help bottling and labeling the beer. If so we might need a few volunteers to assist with that.
3) We need to find a venue and date for a sampling night party. I'm guessing that will occur in late July or early August?
4) A plan for bottle sales. As I said folks who attended the brew day will have first dibs on bottles. Depending on quantities I'd suggest a 2 bottle per person max. Other BT'ers would have next shot at the beer for a period of time, the remaining (if any) to be up for grabs after that time elapses.
5) A price for bottles. Obviously I leave this for Mike to clarify so that his outlay is covered. If possible I would like to build in some percentage per bottle so that a sum of money can be donated to a charity or cause of Cass's choosing and on behalf of all BT'ers.
6) Anything else I have overlooked!

Cheers to all of you that took part. Wish I could have been there. Fingers crossed the sampling party takes place on a date when I'm in T.O.

Jon

P.S. It does occur to me that "selling" this beer may run afoul of LCBO or provincial regs. Anyone have any input on that? How do we recoup Mike's expenses? Who sells it and where?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Jon Walker wrote:P.S. It does occur to me that "selling" this beer may run afoul of LCBO or provincial regs. Anyone have any input on that? How do we recoup Mike's expenses? Who sells it and where?
Shouldn't be any different from their Project X bottles, should it?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I hope not...but that assumes GLB will allow us to sell through their store a beer that isn't one of their products. Hopefully Mike will clarify.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

I talked to Cass over OCB week (can't really pinpoint the specific event, it's all a little foggy) but I think we pretty much decided the following:
We will be serving free samples (those little 4 ouncers I suppose) on draft at the Golden Tap awards.
Everybody who was involved (I have the sign in list and a bottle can be reserved "with everybody's name on it") will get a sample bottle and have first crack if they want to buy more.
Of course, we will be sending a couple bottles to Jon and Derek out west.
The remainder will be sold as normal under Project X...not sure of the cost yet...I would like to recoup some of the costs for the brewery.
Hope this makes everybody happy...nothing's written in stone.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Well I know I'm in for at least one bottle, and if I had to drive to the brewery to get it...well then...I might end up leaving with some crazy canuck as well. Damn that stuff is tasty!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Lackey wrote:I talked to Cass over OCB week (can't really pinpoint the specific event, it's all a little foggy) but I think we pretty much decided the following:
We will be serving free samples (those little 4 ouncers I suppose) on draft at the Golden Tap awards.
Everybody who was involved (I have the sign in list and a bottle can be reserved "with everybody's name on it") will get a sample bottle and have first crack if they want to buy more.
The remainder will be sold as normal under Project X...not sure of the cost yet...I would like to recoup some of the costs for the brewery.
I hope when all is said and done that this doesn't end up costing Great Lakes anything. I will be glad to pay for one or more bottles depending on how much there is to go around. Lackey and the crew really put on a great day for us and it would be a real shame if it ended up being a loss for them. The taps were open for all in attendance and Lackey put many bottles on the table for anyone to sample. I was really happy to get a chance to try quite a few beers that I had heard of but never sampled before. The stack of pizza arrived just when they were needed. I really think the day was far above the expectations I had going in ( and I was quite excited to go ) and I hope it doesn't end up costing the brewery anything when the final tally is done. If it is in the budget to give out free samples to those that were lucky enough to be able to attend then great but if we have to pay for them that is quite reasonable as well. A week later and I am still telling anyone who will listen what a fun day it was.

Kudos to the organizers and all that attended!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'll gladly purchase a couple bottles if it will help the cause.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The goal from inception was that GLB and Mike have no debts from this event. I never expected nor even anticipated any of the beer would be free or less than the going rate. Whatever works for them is fine by me.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Sounds good Lackey!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Lackey wrote:I talked to Cass over OCB week (can't really pinpoint the specific event, it's all a little foggy) but I think we pretty much decided the following:
Awesome! (Everybody should be happy). :D

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

The beer has finally been bottled and will be avaiable at the retail store momentarily. If you were part of the brewday and your name is on the sheet there will be a sample bottle for you-just ask the girl at the front. Everybody can by up to 2 bottles more. I did a brew with the same recipe but Chimay yeast instead of Westmalle so you may want to try that one out for comparison.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Lackey wrote:The beer has finally been bottled and will be avaiable at the retail store momentarily. If you were part of the brewday and your name is on the sheet there will be a sample bottle for you-just ask the girl at the front. Everybody can by up to 2 bottles more. I did a brew with the same recipe but Chimay yeast instead of Westmalle so you may want to try that one out for comparison.
Thanks so much for all the effort you guys at Great Lakes put in to this, Jon for kick starting this project and Cass for starting Bartowel 10 years ago. Look forward to grabbing my bottles on Sunday!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole