Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bartowel Forums 10th Anniversary Brewday - June 17

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Bartowel Forums 10th Anniversary Brewday - June 17

Post by Jon Walker »

Hey everyone, exciting news to share!

Bartowel was first registered as a website back in 1998 but the forums only came to fruition a few years later. According to the member list the Bartowel forums went live, with Cass being member #1, on June 17th 2001. In honour of this impending 10 year milestone I have been colluding with a gang of "usual suspects" to do something special to commemorate this. Here's what's going on.

On the afternoon of June 17th 2011, the exact day of the anniversary, Mike Lackey will be hosting a Bartowel brew event at GLB where we will be making a Bartowel Forums 10th Anniversary beer. At this point it's likely to be a CASScadian Dark Ale. It will be bottled at a later date, custom labelled and available for purchase to all of you. Plans are already well underway, people are busy conspiring (thus far secretly on Facebook) but we've reached the point where we want to make it more widely known to the Bartowel community.

But no great undertaking for the community can be attempted without the involvement of the community. So that's where you come in. Mike would like to see a dozen or so Bartowelers come out and help on brew day. It will be a wonderful chance to assist Mike and the other brewers who are spear heading this and a great way to share an afternoon making what we all love drinking.

So please let me know if you would like to participate. You are also welcome to now join our Facebook working group. Search for "Bartowel 10th anniversary" and request to join.

An announcement about bottle sales and a possible tasting will follow after brew day.

Cheers!
Jon Walker
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Jon - this is absolutely AWESOME!

I will see if I can get the day off work on the 17th to help out. It would be great to be able to do so. Shouldn't be a problem to get the day off, but you never know :)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It sounds absolutely fantastic, sadly that is the shipping deadline for prototypes for my current program that are due to GM. Really look forward to sampling this and toasting ten years of the Bartowel with it.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wow, great news! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Unfortunately I won't be in Ontario for this, but I thought I'd mention Lackey's suggestion of a post-brewday pub crawl as well. So if you can't get the day off, perhaps you could still celebrate Friday night.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

The brew will start at 1pm that friday. I would imagine we will be heading out after for beers after. Anybody is welcome at any point along the way.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Lackey wrote:The brew will start at 1pm that friday. I would imagine we will be heading out after for beers after. Anybody is welcome at any point along the way.
Should we book Bryden's for our private function...?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I wish I lived in Toronto.

If any of this gets to Ottawa, I'm good for at least one case.

Awesome Idea!!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Brilliant!

Love the idea. Hate that I'm in Alberta for it.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Another great reason to have Fridays off. Wouldn't miss this

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

boney wrote:Brilliant!

Love the idea. Hate that I'm in Alberta for it.
But you're closer to Harper, so that's a plus!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Lackey wrote:The brew will start at 1pm that friday. I would imagine we will be heading out after for beers after. Anybody is welcome at any point along the way.
That I will definitely make it out for.

Cheers
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Jon,

I think it was very thoughtful of You to have begun this Thank You Tribute to Cass. Kudos to Mike Lackey and Great Lakes for making their facilities available too. As we all know Cass has done a marvellous job for the local beer community keeping us informed as to what was coming and going.

Cheers to Cass and also to Jon and again Mike Lackey and Great Lakes.

Doug

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Thanks Doug and the other folks who have sent me PM's!

It just seemed like such a great and obvious possibility that I couldn't let it pass. We all love good beer and this forum as a place to discuss it...making a commemorative beer together seems like the perfect link between both. But we wouldn't be doing it without Mike and all the other volunteers so hats off to them.

Speaking of which...Mike will really need to know about numbers prior to the day. So I simply ask this, please post here or on the Facebook group page to let us know you are going to come out. As we get closer I will post up a list of names or user names to essentially do a head count and make sure everyone is still in. It really will be an event not to miss.

One other note: We are really keen to get someone with some design experience to help us out with the label. It will be something straightforward but it needs a skilled hand. Anyone interested please let us know.

Cheers,
Jon
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

cfrancis wrote:I wish I lived in Toronto.

If any of this gets to Ottawa, I'm good for at least one case.

Awesome Idea!!
Unfortunately, the brew is being done on our little pilot system and we will likely only get 100 lt. of liquid. We will have a keg which will be served at a TBD event and maybe 80-100 commemorative bottles.