Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CNE Wine & Beer Garden - Aug 19 to Sep 5

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

CNE Wine & Beer Garden - Aug 19 to Sep 5

Post by GregClow »

During the run of the CNE, there will be a wine & beer garden set up in the Heritage Court section of the Direct Energy Centre, serving VQA wine and Ontario craft beer, as well as local cheeses and sausages.

Jed and Curt from the Griffin/Session/Muskoka Beer Festival are overseeing the beer selection, which will include the following breweries:

Spearhead
Sawdust City (*)
Camerons
Lake of Bays
Great Lakes
Creemore Springs
Wellington
Muskoka
Grand River
Nickel Brook
Beau's
Mill Street

(*) Sawdust City is an upcoming brewery that is going to be built in Gravenhurst. For now, brewmaster Sam Corbeil is brewing out of the teaching brewery at Niagara College. Their debut beer is a very unique one called Great Weiss North - you can read more about it here:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2011/08 ... iss-north/
Last edited by GregClow on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

GregClow wrote: (*) Sawdust City is an upcoming brewery that is going to be built in Gravenhurst. For now, brewmaster Sam Corbeil is brewing out of the teaching brewery at Niagara College. Their debut beer is a very unique one called Great Weiss North
For those who live closer to Welland than to the CNE, there is a very limited amount of Great Weiss Canadian at the Niagara College Beer Store (Glendale Ave South exit off of QEW, take left at first lights, then left onto campus and follow signs to beer store.)

When I was in on Sunday afternoon, they also had several other beers on tap including a dry-hopped pale ale, as well as 6-packs of their "1st Draft" Ale & Lager.

Growlers cost $12 (+ $5 deposit). Samples available before you buy. Store hours are 10am-6pm, seven days a week.
Too many beers, too little time...

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

$12 for a growler of Great Weiss North is well worth it. I sampled a good bit of it yesterday while at The Ex. I may take a drive down to pick some up.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Can they fill a growler you bring or no?

free bacon

Post by free bacon »

Not sure. Last time I was there I got the growler as well so I have one already.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Are all the breweries there everyday? Or just the one(s) mentioned as per the CNE site?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

liamt07 wrote:Are all the breweries there everyday? Or just the one(s) mentioned as per the CNE site?
All of the beers are available every day. The list just indicates which breweries have a rep on hand each day to talk about and pour the beer.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

GregClow wrote:
liamt07 wrote:Are all the breweries there everyday? Or just the one(s) mentioned as per the CNE site?
All of the beers are available every day. The list just indicates which breweries have a rep on hand each day to talk about and pour the beer.
Cool, thanks. Heading down tomorrow, was just curious as to what to expect.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Any idea if this is going on again this year/any details released yet?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

liamt07 wrote:Any idea if this is going on again this year/any details released yet?
I emailed a CNE media rep a couple of weeks ago, and she replied to say that she wasn't 100% sure, but believed that it WASN'T happening this year. She was supposed to follow-up, but never did.

The fact that there's no mention of it on the CNE website suggests that she was right. Too bad...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Too bad, I really enjoyed stopping in there last year and was able to introduce a couple of the wife's friends to craft beers through it
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Popped in Friday. $3 a ticket; 1 ticket half glass sample, 2 tix, full glass.
Had 6 Pints Black Lager, apparently this is a Molson "brand"? Regardless this was really enjoyable. Would love more details if anyone has them

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

jaymack wrote:Popped in Friday. $3 a ticket; 1 ticket half glass sample, 2 tix, full glass.
Yes - apparently the craft beer bar IS back at the CNE this year after all, although it's not being advertised as such by the CNE, they're just calling it the Wine Garden. Apologies for my misinformation earlier in the thread - was going by what the ill-informed CNE media contact told me.
jaymack wrote:Had 6 Pints Black Lager, apparently this is a Molson "brand"? Regardless this was really enjoyable. Would love more details if anyone has them
http://beeracademy.ca/
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/08 ... -tomorrow/
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/06 ... this-week/
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily- ... r-academy/

...and there are plenty more blog posts and news stories out there if you google "six pints" and "beer academy".

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Thanks Greg. I did do some interwebbing on this, sorry for being behind the times on this one.