Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys Tap Takeover @ Gambrinus - Jan 28

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Best in show for me was the Smooth Hoperator. So tropical it was insane!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

the patriot was the best of the bunch for me @ 4 % abv it was the best hoppy wheat beer ive ever had

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I tried everything but the Drunk Monk, which I heard was a little rough. My favourites would have to be Pre-Divinity and Little Red. Little Red would instantly become my session beer of choice if they were to bottle it.

Righteous Rye-PA, Effinguud, the Patriot, Smooth Hoperator, and Beer Geeks Stout were all fantastic as well.

The Dreadhead never showed up, sadly.

It was an amazing night.

edit: forgot the Big Red! Loved that one. It would be great to see the Little Red made year round with the Big Red as a seasonal.
Last edited by Cale on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milos

Post by Milos »

It's good to see some people got up early! I suspect there will be few late risers. Thanks everyone for being! It was an overwhelming success and a great rebuff to all those who say there isn't enough craft beer fans in London. It was great to see our friends from out of town, too.
I enjoyed the conversations, Terry, thanks for the can. Matt, I would have liked to talk to you! Missed you, man.
The whole FM crew, including Adil deserves big THANK YOU!

We would love to see your votes for the best beers!
So many beers and so little time!!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Milos wrote:Matt, I would have liked to talk to you! Missed you, man.
i figured you had enough going on with the house being so full, hopefully next time im down that way we will both have more time

congrats on the success that was last night

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Congrats Peter, Adil, Milos and all the other skilled FMB brewers - just as a casual assessment, I'd say this tasting/showcase was a ripping success. It succeeded on so many levels -

It mobilized an army of craft beer lovers with nothing more than some social media posts - concrete evidence there is a large market out there that live online and appreciate the efforts of brewers who produce quality edgy beers. Who needs Molson's ad budget when you have twitter and good beer?

It got a lot of out of the mainstream styles in front of the craft beer consuming public that are really either ignored in this market or under represented - Rye ales, Red ales Red imperial, Milk stout etc. - all with a great style bending quality. The word is out…. the Monkeys are not afraid to push the edge style wise.

Great talking to the Brewers at the Monkey pit - these guys are passionate about innovative brewing, personable and engaging and are open about their processes and materials, refreshing honesty and unpretentious dialogue - great talking to the brew Monkeys.

The place was packed - Milos, hire more tap jockeys next time: wink:
BTW- thanks for all you do. Sorry I had to leave early, would have loved to stay and drain that keg of Milk stout.

All in all a total win-win for both brewer and quaffers alike. Peter….. next time you decide to hold some pub's tap handles hostage, tweet me.
Aventinus rules!

hopdicct

Post by hopdicct »

Excellent event. Thanks to GB and FM for making this happen. Really looking forward to some of these beers hitting the lcbo shelves. My favourites of the night were

1) Smooth Hoperator
2) Rye PA
3) Beek Geek Stout
4) Big Red

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

This was a legendary event. Adil, Peter, and the Flying Monkeys crew crafted some of the most innovative beers that I've sampled in Ontario and I enjoyed hearing about the brewing processes behind several of the offerings, as well as future plans to bottle a few of them. Milos' decade-long crusade to bring better beer to London was vindicated by the hundreds of patrons who flocked to Gambrinus throughout the night. He has now proven without question that there is a very strong market for micro beer in the southwest.

I had an absolute blast with Cale, Mel, SteelbackGuy, nicktbm, NRMan, Bearing, MasterChiefP, hegelec, and gordmit and it was great to finally meet pootz and matt7215. Once again the social aspect of drinking and chatting with so many Towellers was just as exciting as the beers on offer (for me anyway). It was crazy to see that people traveled from Hamilton, Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, Guelph, and Detroit (!!!) to attend the Tap Takeover; but, given the quality of the beers, I guess it wasn't that surprising.

My favourite concoctions were the Effinguid Milk Stout, Little Red Amber Ale, Smooth Hoperator DIPA, The Patriot APWA, Righteous Rye PA, Beer Geeks RIS, and Pre-Divinity (which struck me as more of a Strong Ale than a classic Baltic Porter). The Big Red Imperial Amber, Beast 2 RIS, Badonk-A-Dunkel Weizenbock, and Creamsicle and Bubblescream Light Ales were less notable but still very good, and the Drunk Monk BPA, Sound Without Vision, and Intergalactic APA were the only ones that I didn't like. 12 stellar beers out of 15 (plus the 4 flagships) made for a pretty impressive lineup in my books.

Hats off to all those involved with making last night happen. It was so fucking epic that I have a hard time envisioning a "better" event in the future, but I'm sure Milos, Adil, and Peter will find a way to defy everyone's expectations again. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott