Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hogtown Brewers Soft Launch

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Hogtown Brewers Soft Launch

Post by andrewrg »

From Twitter: Hogtown Brewers (new brewery on Adelaide W., forget the exact address) is having a soft launch at the Duke of Devon next week, which I think is on Wellington.

Unclear on what exactly is happening at this soft launch, but my guess is that their beer(s?) will be available.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I'm with Hogtown (The brewery address on Adelaide is the head office. We are contract brewing out of Cool)

Basically it is a "soft launch" in that there isn't a specific event, but it is our first time on tap at a bar for regular sale. The brewery has only one beer right now, simply called Hogtown Ale. It is a Kolsh style at 5% abv.

The Duke of Devon is 66 Wellington West in the TD Tower.
http://devon.thedukepubs.ca/yourlocal.php

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Ah, sorry for the misinformation. The website was slightly vague.

Anywho, looking forward to trying out your beer sometime soon.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Any connection to the Hogtown Brewing from about ten years ago?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

No connection

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I tried a couple of Hogtown's beers a while back, since I'm a fancy newspaper man.

They were trial batches, but the IPA was quite tasty. I would not have called the other beer that I had a Kolsch. Maybe a Blonde Ale.

Their brewer, Jay, I think it is, is a good guy. Brewery shows a lot of promise.
saintjohnswort.ca

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

saints_gambit wrote: They were trial batches, but the IPA was quite tasty. I would not have called the other beer that I had a Kolsch. Maybe a Blonde Ale.
You're correct, that test batch was a blonde ale. We decided to switch it up after that.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

As an update, the beer is on tap at the Duke of Devon right now
Last edited by kwjd on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

kwjd wrote:they aren't open Sat/Sun
Odd choice of a bar to launch a product..

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Cale wrote:
kwjd wrote:they aren't open Sat/Sun
Odd choice of a bar to launch a product..
No, I was wrong. I guess they are open today, but not all weekends.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Cale wrote:Odd choice of a bar to launch a product..
I agree. I walk past it often, in the PATH system. This is a bar packed at the end of a workday with TD and other tower folk depressurizing. It's very loud! I'd say it's a "gimme a beer" crowd.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

zane9 wrote:
Cale wrote:Odd choice of a bar to launch a product..
I agree. I walk past it often, in the PATH system. This is a bar packed at the end of a workday with TD and other tower folk depressurizing. It's very loud! I'd say it's a "gimme a beer" crowd.
I suspect that many of the people involved with Hogtown have real jobs, so it probably makes sense from their perspective.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I don't find it odd at all. You'd be surprised how busy that pub can get. If they are going for the more "mainstream" end of the craft market, that seems like a very good place to start. Lots of potential customers with money in their pockets.