Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Cask IPA Challenge - Fri Apr 20 to Mon Apr 23

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Ontario Cask IPA Challenge - Fri Apr 20 to Mon Apr 23

Post by GregClow »

From a tweet posted on @CaskDays a few days ago:

Cask Days Presents - The 4th Annual Ontario Cask IPA Challenge - Saturday April 28 - Monday April 30, 2012 - Details Soon! #ipachallenge

UPDATE: After I posted this, Tomas contacted me to let me know that the dates have been changed to Fri April 20 to Mon April 23. More info is coming soon.
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

Greg,

You didn't say where it's being held. It's OK I know where but others might not :D :D :D :D

Ssssh I've got a secret...I know at least one beer being brewed for this, not sure if I can tell, I'll check. I absolutely love this beer...

Cheers,
Live or Die by Good Beer

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I know someone who's competing in this. Heh.
saintjohnswort.ca

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

saints_gambit wrote:I know someone who's competing in this. Heh.
Is it Lackey? :wink:

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

how crazy has this event been in past years? Thinking of heading there with a friend from Cambridge area, but don't want to make the trip and get turned away at the door because its full.

And does anyone know how they work things for the public? Does my $10 get me admission and a glass, then I pay per sample that I can then judge on the score sheets?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Has been busy, but not super crazy, but Bar Volo events seem to be drawing bigger crowds every time. Looks like their is a 1 hour intermission between sessions, pretty sure a lot of people will wander away during that break.

$10 gets your glass and admission, samples are likely to be capped to 1/4 or 1/2 pints, but I haven't seen pricing on that yet
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I see from the Caskdays website they will be announcing details for Caskdays in October at the IPA challenge - new location, guess the Earth smell at Hart House Quad was too much :lol:

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

I set up an online tournament bracket for fun.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=425672

- Follow the link
- Click on "predict it"
- Register
- Make your selections

(The website is a little primitive, sorry for any pop ups, etc.)

Depending on how many people register, perhaps we could make a small friendly wager ($5? I'll worry about this part of it later if there seems to be any interest).

Registration closes April 20th at 9:00 pm. You can view other people's selections which i think is half the fun.

I predicted Niagara College to win it all, since I made the beer!

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

The online bracket now has a prize sponsor! Up for grabs is 2 six packs and two free tours to Amsterdam Brewing Co.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Entered - although considering how my NCAA bracket went I don't have much hopes on this either

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cool.
entered the bracket but man, its a tough one.
would love to have underdog categories. i expect to be surprised by Toronto Brewing and House Ales. Gut says that GLB and Flying Monkeys will have an advantage.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

icemachine wrote:Entered - although considering how my NCAA bracket went I don't have much hopes on this either
I did an NCAA bracket for a contest held by Chugger Pumps (homebrew pumps) and came in 13th out of 316. Unfortunately I didn't win anything but I was astonished how well I did having known nothing about basketball.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just filled out my bracket
go muskoka!

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Beer names have been announced. Get your bracket in!

http://blog.caskdays.com/post/210298652 ... -beer-list

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »